Elekit TU-8200 DX Headphone/Speaker Amp Review
Feb 10, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #1,246 of 1,441
Got socket savers for all tubes and running GEC KT66 for the very first time of this brand new pair. Will be back next month for impressions.

IMG_1871.jpg
Do you think that there is enough space above the tube tops? Where does the heat go?

Feb 10, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #1,247 of 1,441
Oh lots of air circulation. Have air con and big quiet stand fan if need be. 4 hours last night and barely warm. Those glass panel are think and can take heat. Elekit doesn’t feel hot at all compared to LF339

Feb 10, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #1,249 of 1,441
There more room between tube and glass above than it looks. I can change tubes without pulling out the amp.
😀👍 Given their price, I would hate to see the life of those wonderful tubes shortened by operating in high ambient temperatures.

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #1,251 of 1,441
Feb 11, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #1,252 of 1,441
To @Effusion and @UntilThen: I have been extending my sessions with the TU-8200R now fitted with the Sophia Electric EL34s. I let the system run for close to five hours on CD repeat before donning the ZMF Auteur...to bathe in the most engaging, most enthralling, most involving, most realistic (in a headphone context) sound that I have encountered. All the usual audiophile parametres and sub-categories were evident but it was the gestalt that thrilled me the most. I did actually compare the “low” versus “high” impedance setting. I am keeping it at “low”: the high-Z Auteur, DT1770, and HD600 all were more communicative to me at the “low” versus “high” impedance setting. There was more “there” there (🙄). At the low-Z end of the hp spectrum, the Audeze LCD-X were at their level best. I am waiting for a custom SE amp-termination cable for the Clear and the Gjallarhorn (same 3.5mm termination) - what I have has XLR amp-termination. I cannot wait since the Gjallarhorn is still my favourite “overall” headphone. I will post. A943017B-BFEA-4FE1-94B3-CB7029018A45.jpeg

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #1,253 of 1,441
Awesome! Very cool and interesting in regards to your impressions of the headphone output settings, really good to know! I'm also glad to hear the Sophias are working out so well! Would you say they are way beyond the KT77s overall, just a few steps above, or on par, but just different?

For sure, let us all know how it continues to go with the Clears/Gjallarhorns as well as the tube break-in!

:beerchug:

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #1,254 of 1,441
Awesome! Very cool and interesting in regards to your impressions of the headphone output settings, really good to know! I'm also glad to hear the Sophias are working out so well! Would you say they are way beyond the KT77s overall, just a few steps above, or on par, but just different?

For sure, let us all know how it continues to go with the Clears/Gjallarhorns as well as the tube break-in!

:beerchug:
I am relieved and pleased with the perceived outperformance of headphones in the “low” impedance setting. First, it is consistent with my experience with other amplifiers that have low output impedance: LP and Violectric V280. (The Woo WA3 as an OTL h/p/a is a ‘special situation’: I would use only high-Z h/p.) Second, I really did not want to have to frequently open up the amp to adjust the Z when switching h/p. Onto the Sophia EL34s: finesse with force, panache with power...not a huge step up from the Genalex KT77...enough to give notice that the music is being faithfully served...

Feb 13, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #1,257 of 1,441
To @Effusion and @UntilThen: I have been extending my sessions with the TU-8200R now fitted with the Sophia Electric EL34s. I let the system run for close to five hours on CD repeat before donning the ZMF Auteur...to bathe in the most engaging, most enthralling, most involving, most realistic (in a headphone context) sound that I have encountered. All the usual audiophile parametres and sub-categories were evident but it was the gestalt that thrilled me the most. I did actually compare the “low” versus “high” impedance setting. I am keeping it at “low”: the high-Z Auteur, DT1770, and HD600 all were more communicative to me at the “low” versus “high” impedance setting. There was more “there” there (🙄). At the low-Z end of the hp spectrum, the Audeze LCD-X were at their level best. I am waiting for a custom SE amp-termination cable for the Clear and the Gjallarhorn (same 3.5mm termination) - what I have has XLR amp-termination. I cannot wait since the Gjallarhorn is still my favourite “overall” headphone. I will post.A943017B-BFEA-4FE1-94B3-CB7029018A45.jpeg

I'm glad you enjoy these tubes. These are the ones I have. I'm not sure if you picked them up after my post.

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #1,258 of 1,441
It looks as though it was soon after. Wonderful to hear through...wonderful to look at...

Feb 19, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #1,260 of 1,441
Can anyone enlighten me re using the 8200 solely as a headphone amplifier, l was told that the speakers terminals have to be attached to a pair of speakers in order not to blow the transformer
Not true. No speakers need to be attached. If you have speakers attached and you plug in your headphone jack then the speakers will be cut out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back