Elekit TU-8200 DX Headphone/Speaker Amp Review
Feb 6, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #1,231 of 1,441
Speaking about the LCD-X, I sold it last night at 10:30 pm when 2 friends came over deciding whether to buy the LCD-3f or the LCD-X. In the end one of them decide on the LCD-X. For me it's a tough choice. I like both but I like the He1000se the most so I was willing to let one of the Audeze go. Someday the LCD-3f will be replaced by the LCD-4.

Clearing my gear in preparation to buy a Mogwai Se. TU-8200 and TU-8500 will remain. The latter is not even here yet.
Best wishes on the Mogwai! I will certainly let the Elekit run awhile - the KT77 and CV4003 tubes were cryogenically treated. The folks at Upscale Audio (Calif.) thus recommend added “break-in” time. Somewhat related to LCD-4, have you heard Rosson RAD-0? I actually preferred their sound to that of the LCD-4z (low impedance): more linear, no frequency dip in upper midrange/ lower treble...best planar bass that I have heard.

Feb 6, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #1,232 of 1,441
The bold part reflects my thinking exactly. I heard Susvara with TT2 and M Scalar at the shop. Wasn't really impressed by transparent tone. When Auris Nirvana was added to that mix, then I start to see why Susvara is so good.

Most people will love 2nd harmonic distortions from tubes. It adds to musical notes several layers of microscopic bubbles that enrich the texture of the soundscape with organic and analogue bloom. It's no wonder after all these years I'm still in love with tube amps.

My dad had an H.H. Scott and I've been trying to simulate that sound.

Feb 6, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #1,233 of 1,441
Best wishes on the Mogwai!

Plans for Mogwai Se is a couple of months away. In the meantime, I'm focussed on the Elekit combo of TU-8200 and TU-8500.

TU-8500 should be with me on Monday, that's tomorrow.

KT77 and CV4003 tubes cryogenically treated from Upscale Audio (Calif.) should be good. You're set for a great listening experience.

No I've not heard the Rosson RAD-0. Too many interesting headphones I would like to own but I have a limit of 2 nice ones now. Yesterday hearing Meze Empyrean and Dan Clark Ether 2 on AmpandSound Encore, I really love those combinations.

Feb 6, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #1,234 of 1,441
The bold part reflects my thinking exactly. I heard Susvara with TT2 and M Scalar at the shop. Wasn't really impressed by transparent tone. When Auris Nirvana was added to that mix, then I start to see why Susvara is so good.

Most people will love 2nd harmonic distortions from tubes. It adds to musical notes several layers of microscopic bubbles that enrich the texture of the soundscape with organic and analogue bloom. It's no wonder after all these years I'm still in love with tube amps.
I had a feeling the GL KT77's would work out for you. They will only get better as time goes on. I've been sitting on the fence on this amp because I want to upgrade my DAC, and my addiction to tube hoarding keeps dipping into my budget.

Feb 6, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #1,235 of 1,441
Plans for Mogwai Se is a couple of months away. In the meantime, I'm focussed on the Elekit combo of TU-8200 and TU-8500.

TU-8500 should be with me on Monday, that's tomorrow.

KT77 and CV4003 tubes cryogenically treated from Upscale Audio (Calif.) should be good. You're set for a great listening experience.

No I've not heard the Rosson RAD-0. Too many interesting headphones I would like to own but I have a limit of 2 nice ones now. Yesterday hearing Meze Empyrean and Dan Clark Ether 2 on AmpandSound Encore, I really love those combinations.

I may need to do a TU-8500 build and get me a turntable to break out my stack of LP's

Feb 8, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #1,237 of 1,441
Today TU-8500 preamp / phono stage arrived and I put NOS Philips Miniwatt 12au7 in it and I also received my NOS type for TU-8200 - in goes Brimar 12au7 long plates and Philips Miniwatt 6CA7 xf2.

Just one hour into listening and I am already overwhelmed. The combo sounds the killer. Haven't use the GEC KT66 NOS yet. The tone is awesome and the tubes are still brand new.

IMG_1860.jpg

Feb 8, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #1,238 of 1,441
NOS tubes arrived today (all brand new unused) :-

GEC KT66
Philips Miniwatt 6CA7
Brimar 12au7 long plates
Philips Miniwatt 12au7

IMG_1849.jpg

Feb 8, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #1,239 of 1,441
Coming soon (2) to a TU-8200R near me...D5550319-3183-4BCD-B6A3-9D2086A2F00A.png

Feb 8, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #1,240 of 1,441
Jonathan how's your experience with the TU-8200R. Don't hear you talk much about it. That Sophia blue looks nice but you should try at least one pair of NOS Mullard EL34. I have that in there since yesterday. A brand new pair and it sounded even better than my Gold Lion KT77. Much much better. NOS is the way to go but it's hell of expensive now. Oh well I figure I only need a pair of each type and the Elekit is totally worth it, especially with the preamp now.

I did not expect the preamp to the amp to make that much difference but it did. I can't listen without the preamp to the mix now. The Gemini twins as you call it, is now in a league of it's own. Right up there with high end system I've heard.

Feb 8, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #1,241 of 1,441
Jonathan how's your experience with the TU-8200R. Don't hear you talk much about it. That Sophia blue looks nice but you should try at least one pair of NOS Mullard EL34. I have that in there since yesterday. A brand new pair and it sounded even better than my Gold Lion KT77. Much much better. NOS is the way to go but it's hell of expensive now. Oh well I figure I only need a pair of each type and the Elekit is totally worth it, especially with the preamp now.

I did not expect the preamp to the amp to make that much difference but it did. I can't listen without the preamp to the mix now. The Gemini twins as you call it, is now in a league of it's own. Right up there with high end system I've heard.
Me: talk little, listen much, details later....😎

Feb 8, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #1,242 of 1,441
First off, TU-8200R is musical, inviting, beguiling, “liquid” across the spectrum. Bass is deep and “juicy”, not pronounced; midrange is dimensional and full-bodied (almost in a Renaissance art sense); treble is there - easy and extended. Ambience and vocals are rendered beautifully and convincingly. All the detail and soundstage precision is there but without “corona / eclipse” type of edging: very satisfying. My overall reaction from first extended rendezvous with Elekit: an amp for wise listeners - those seeking the real thing who confidently trust their ears and mind. My listening palette features jazz, R&B, blues and my TU-8200R experience has been via Audeze LCD-X: a wonderful synergy in spectrum and dynamic range. I will continue with my other low-impedance headphones since the hp load selector / jumper (on board unit #2) is set to “low”. The Focal Clear and Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM will get their turn on this setting. Upon jumper reset to “high”, the queue will consist of ZMF Auteur, Senn HD600 (mod), DT1770 Pro 250 ohm, DT880 Edition 600 ohm. [One note: none of the sonic delights could have been so rendered without the help of Morrow Audio Elite interconnects and of the Mojo Audio EVO dac (a resistor-to-resistor ladder unit).]
DA280107-A683-4974-9D16-A1C1E6C5A5CF.jpeg

Feb 9, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #1,243 of 1,441
@jonathan c, really great impressions, thank you for sharing them! Let us know how it fares with your higher ohm headphones too! I have modded HD650s as well as ZMF Auteurs, and both at 300 ohms sound absolutely sublime out of my non-R version. At the same time my 80 ohm custom Beyers sound equally as amazing! Those Sophia Electric KT88s look really nice too! A buddy of mine has always had great luck with their tubes and loves the sound of them over many NOS!

Are you currently running the amp in Triode, Ultra-Linear, or Pentode mode? I've found that these modes can vary greatly as well as make certain tube types really shine!

@UntilThen, I'm glad to hear the NOS EL34s are blowing you away! I agree, while I haven't tried a ton of new stock tubes in my 8200, something about the NOS ones just give this amp more life. They tend to make my few new stock tubes sound both thin and edgy at times, without the natural ease/flow and fullness that NOS seems to provide on a more consistent basis. One great thing about the 8200 is that I've found it to be very responsive to tubes, so rolling them doesn't just give off very slight differences, but ones that can both be heard without much effort and enjoyed individually. At the same time, in my opinion, the 8200 doesn't have an extremely tubey sound, so really the best of both worlds! Be sure to go back to the new stock options and combine them in different ways at some point, if just to experiment/verify. You may also find that those Brimar 12au7s are really making a big positive impact too!

I'm also glad you are digging the 8500! The extra "buffer" stage of the 8500 with those Philips Miniwatt 12au7s probably adds some really nice tube bloom!

:beerchug: to both of you!

Feb 9, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #1,244 of 1,441
@jonathan c, really great impressions, thank you for sharing them! Let us know how it fares with your higher ohm headphones too! I have modded HD650s as well as ZMF Auteurs, and both at 300 ohms sound absolutely sublime out of my non-R version. At the same time my 80 ohm custom Beyers sound equally as amazing! Those Sophia Electric KT88s look really nice too! A buddy of mine has always had great luck with their tubes and loves the sound of them over many NOS!

Are you currently running the amp in Triode, Ultra-Linear, or Pentode mode? I've found that these modes can vary greatly as well as make certain tube types really shine!

@UntilThen, I'm glad to hear the NOS EL34s are blowing you away! I agree, while I haven't tried a ton of new stock tubes in my 8200, something about the NOS ones just give this amp more life. They tend to make my few new stock tubes sound both thin and edgy at times, without the natural ease/flow and fullness that NOS seems to provide on a more consistent basis. One great thing about the 8200 is that I've found it to be very responsive to tubes, so rolling them doesn't just give off very slight differences, but ones that can both be heard without much effort and enjoyed individually. At the same time, in my opinion, the 8200 doesn't have an extremely tubey sound, so really the best of both worlds! Be sure to go back to the new stock options and combine them in different ways at some point, if just to experiment/verify. You may also find that those Brimar 12au7s are really making a big positive impact too!

I'm also glad you are digging the 8500! The extra "buffer" stage of the 8500 with those Philips Miniwatt 12au7s probably adds some really nice tube bloom!

:beerchug: to both of you!
The TU-8200R default setting for output is ultralinear. In time I will switch to pentode / triode mode to give them a go. I am pleased thus far. When I do run the Auteur, DT1770, and HD600 through the “high” impedance setting, I will certainly, for fun, compare the experience with that from the Woo WA3 OTL. Happy 👂🎶 to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back