Elekit TU-8200 DX Headphone/Speaker Amp Review
Jan 31, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #1,141 of 1,441
Jan 31, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #1,142 of 1,441
I also order 2 sets of adapters. 807 to 6L6 adapter and EL12 spez to KT88 adapter.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191604638854

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201784316782

@Effusion did you end up using 6SN7 with adapters as preamp tubes? If you did, can you confirm whether you have to change the D7 rectifier and / or power transformer before you can do that? Also likewise for E80CC - did you use that and did you have to change the rectifier and / or OPT before you can do that. I think Dimu mention that you can use E80CC with 807 or 6L6GC with no changes to those 2 items.

Jan 31, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #1,143 of 1,441
My source have some 807 but not Cossor brand and some E80CC but he didn't tell me which brand. He also have rare EL34 with metal base but I think that will cost a bomb. :)

I like this Cossor 807 with white ceramic base from Langrex and might buy a pair.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/807-ATS...UBE/273779027002?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

These are the new NOS tubes I'll be buying -

GEC KT66 clear glass - not identical label but identical in size and construction so that's ok. I got it cheaper than off ebay.
GEC KT66 clear glass.jpg

Philips Miniwatt 6CA7 / EL34 double o rings.
Philip Miniwatt EL34.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #1,144 of 1,441
Finally, I started listening in ultralinear mode and then I switched to triode mode, and I think I noticed some difference. However now I am planning to switch back to ultralinear next time I open the amp to give it more power which will reduce clipping.

Because of what Dimu said here, I might switch it back to Ultralinear mode - I remember when I was in UL mode, bass was more pronounced and I like it. Will loose the sweetness of triode mode though. I wish there was a switch on the amp to change the mode without having to modify by drilling a hole in the chassis.

Jan 31, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #1,145 of 1,441
Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #1,146 of 1,441
Set it back to Ultralinear and with 12au7 and KT88 with He1000se, the bass is strong and lovely. The magic is back listening to blues - 'I'll play the blues for you' by Daniel Castro. Soundstage is wide, deep and high. It's enveloping and 3D. Tube tone is lovely. Great 2nd harmonic distortions so loved of tube amps here. It's forceful but not rough. The amp sound smooth and powerful if that makes sense. I don't get this kind of tone from 6as7 / 6080. This is big tube sound of KT88, EL34, 6L6GC for the price of a bar of candy and it sound sweet. The love for this amp grows each passing day. :)

Candy Dulfer - Lily Was Here is playing now and the music is holographic. I am hearing instruments so clearly all spaced out left, right and centre, front and back. It's surreal. I paid $800 for this amp 2nd hand with all the tubes included and I'm getting a ear blast. Best purchase for a long time.

I'm entirely agreeable with this review about this amp. https://wallofsound.ca/audioreviews...rheadphone-amplifier-kit-review-by-tim-smith/

IMG_1787.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #1,147 of 1,441

Done! Funny, it has been so long since I first posted and even updated the 1st post, in doing so just now, it messed-up the formatting and the site could no longer find the original photos... anyway, I think it is basically back to normal now! :o2smile:

Jan 31, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #1,148 of 1,441
I also order 2 sets of adapters. 807 to 6L6 adapter and EL12 spez to KT88 adapter.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191604638854

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201784316782

@Effusion did you end up using 6SN7 with adapters as preamp tubes? If you did, can you confirm whether you have to change the D7 rectifier and / or power transformer before you can do that? Also likewise for E80CC - did you use that and did you have to change the rectifier and / or OPT before you can do that. I think Dimu mention that you can use E80CC with 807 or 6L6GC with no changes to those 2 items.

Those 807 adapters look good! I actually have 3 sets of 807 adapters and found them all useful. Many of the European 807s have smaller top pins, so I use different sets to make sure they are snug. The adapters that fit the US 807s are extremely loose on certain European 807s and you can't really use them safely. One of my adapters works perfectly on these European brands, but they won't even begin to fit on the US brands. They were not marked this way when I purchased them and unfortunately it was so many years ago, I'm not sure if I still have the links to them or even if all 3 are still available.

I have not used 6sn7s nor E80CC in the 8200 unfortunately, so I can't help there, but I have used many 12au7 brands/variants. Amperex 7316 are very nice and part of the combo that beat out the Studio that day with the Utopias, but they are very expensive. Other cheaper options are out there and more than enough to have lots of fun with. A good place to start if you feel the 8200 has a bit too much sparkle up top is maybe some nice Mullard ones, of different types. Typically they are smoother with great mids.

Jan 31, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #1,149 of 1,441
@UntilThen, I'm so glad the mini-audition went well and you are really enjoying the sound!

The ATS-25s you linked below are the ones you want, with the round plates. These ATS-25 round plates, paired with Amperex 7316s, were the combo that bested the Studio with the Utopias that day.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/807-ATS...UBE/273779027002?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Yeah, keep playing around with the modes, I find that Triode is sweeter and UL is more powerful/impactful. The wonderful thing about this amp is that there are so many options! Thus, you can really dial-in the perfect sound for probably any genre and I have found that there really isn't a single "best" setup with this amp.

That being said, this amp is really for those who like to tweak, tube-roll, and change it up every so often. I've seen so many owners in the past only use one set of tubes and never change the output modes; often these same owners end up going with something else down the road, which I find a bit sad. The only draw-back to all these options is that you may find yourself like me, constantly changing things around for certain albums/genres, however many already do this with different pairs of headphones and I find it all to be quite fun!

This amp is a journey inside itself!

Jan 31, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #1,150 of 1,441
Thanks for the response and updating the links on the front page @Effusion . As you said, this amp is a journey in itself. Being new to it and what the other tubes can bring to change the sound, I'm certainly keen to explore. Similarly to change the mode from triode to UL or Pentode - the last I have not tried.

However even as I was listening to it in UL mode with Psvane Art Series 12au7 and Genalax Gold Lion KT88 with He1000se, I feel very contented. It's a superb tone and if this is the only tone I get then I am already happy. I don't think it's necessary to tube roll and change mode that much but for those with a tweak nature - go for it and use socket savers please to preserve the sockets and don't damage the screws thread when undoing the chassis. I suppose getting new screws is very easy - just make sure they are the correct size with washers. Last thing, give this amp some love with some decent power cord and RCA interconnects and a small power conditioner. Always help. Also a capable DAC and headphone. This amp deserves it.

Jan 31, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #1,151 of 1,441
@UntilThen, you're very welcome!

Yes, there is so much fun to be had with the 8200! I actually haven't tried the Gold Lion KT88 reissues yet, but weeks ago I decided I probably should and have a plan going forward, so soon. While I do have a few pairs of KT88s, none are the original and very expensive/rare GECs. I've also enjoyed NOS 6550s, especially the GE 6550a, which are different in appearance to the common Tung-sols. Both of these have great bass and impact/slam/speed; the 6550 having a bit less, but other better areas than my KT88s; always seems to be a give and take relationship. In my general opinion, the 807s are somewhere between the KT88s and KT66s, but not as refined as either. While the militarized 807s are pretty good, sometimes they seem a bit stiff and sterile at times. Of course this depends on the make/brand, with the ATS-25 variant being my favorite. The nice thing is that 807s can be found easily and cheaply.

Those KT-66s and EL34s look really nice! I have two pairs of clear glass and one smoke glass, all GEC. I tend to prefer the clear glasses, as my smoke glass pair is a bit too polite/soft, however they are a bit sweeter/smoother. Many have really enjoyed the EL34s in 8200 and I've tried a ton of them too, so let us know what you think! The Mullards tend to be some of the best in the mid-range and lots of companies rebranded them, so if you can tell by the internal structure and codes, you can save some money. The Telefunkens and blue-glass Teslas tend to have more sparkle in my experience, but sometimes a bit too thin in parts. Also, definitely try some out some different 12au7 variants too!

That is the right way to approach this amp, find a sound that you are very content with and let it sit for awhile, but at the same time change it up every once and awhile, to either confirm our find out new good combos. In the beginning I was trying so many different tubes/options that I got a bit fatigued and eventually found that just letting things sit for at least a day or two was helpful for comparison and ended up being more enjoyable. Everything is relevant, so different settings can be better with certain headphones/genres too. I also agree, even though the Elekit is low cost compared to many, it scales very nicely and deserves to be fed the best source you possibly can.

Sit back and enjoy the great sound, you've made a great purchase!

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #1,152 of 1,441
My source have some 807 but not Cossor brand and some E80CC but he didn't tell me which brand. He also have rare EL34 with metal base but I think that will cost a bomb. :)

I like this Cossor 807 with white ceramic base from Langrex and might buy a pair.

These are the new NOS tubes I'll be buying -

GEC KT66 clear glass - not identical label but identical in size and construction so that's ok. I got it cheaper than off ebay.
GEC KT66 clear glass.jpg

Philips Miniwatt 6CA7 / EL34 double o rings.
Philip Miniwatt EL34.jpg
I've heard good things about the phillips miniwatts, should be outstanding! I keep an eye out for quads. Prices keep going up, so I might just have to bite the bullet, and go for it.

Jan 31, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #1,153 of 1,441
I've heard good things about the phillips miniwatts, should be outstanding! I keep an eye out for quads. Prices keep going up, so I might just have to bite the bullet, and go for it.

I've good reasons to believe that the Philips Miniwatt (Holland) are the same as Mullard of UK. Just manufacture in different places but with the same specs. This seller is a private collector and he has the most astonishing collection s of NOS expensive tubes. He doesn't advertise but only sell to friends but keep some for himself.

In time to come, NOS pairs of GEC KT66, GEC KT88 and Mullard El34 xf2 xf3 will be pretty priceless and command a big sum. These tubes seems to last over the years though and doesn't deteriorate over the years when kept and preserved.

Wait till you step into 2A3, 45 and 300b tubes... :)

Well at least we still have current production tubes and if NOS runs out, we still have the current production tubes to last a very long time. I really find the Genelax Gold Lion KT88 totally worth the dollar.

Jan 31, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #1,154 of 1,441
I agree, these tubes are in short supply and prices will continue to rise. The nice thing about the 8200 is that while you still have choices for NOS, if you are willing to pay, there are also options for new stock, which are getting better every day.

The best way to determine if an EL34 is a true Mullard, as well as additional info, is from the etched code on the tubes, usually to the side or behind the printed label on the tube. These etchings do not usually ware-off, so even if the label is gone, you can still usually tell.

There are many resources available online about these codes, including the one below:
https://mullard.org/blogs/news/mullard-valve-etched-codes-how-to-interpret-them

Mullards will also typically have a single or double halo getter at the top and welded plates. Below are a few pictures of both the halos as well as the codes:
EL34 Mullard, Double O Getter, Welded Plates | TubeDepot.com
EL34 Mullard, Double O Getter, Welded Plates | TubeDepot.com
Mullard EL34 6CA7 Single Halo Xf3 Matched Pair
MULLARD VALVE ETCHED CODES - HOW TO INTERPRET THEM – MULLARD MAGIC

Over the years I've been able to get really good prices on rebranded Mullards by knowing what to look for. Many believe the ones made at the Blackburn factory are the best, with slight differences between XF1s, XF2s, XF3s, etc.

Jan 31, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #1,155 of 1,441
Yes what I'm getting are the double O or halo getters and with xf2. He also have the more expensive D getter.

2nd picture in this link is the one I'm getting - you can see the double halo getters.
1st picture are the ones with D getters which is more expensive.
Post #1,097 of 1,155

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back