Electrostats Comparison
May 26, 2019 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

BadDude

New Head-Fier
I'm currently looking to buy a pair of electrostatics. I'm interested in SR-009S, Shangri-La Jr, and VOCE. I'd appreciate if any of you out there have heard these headphones could provide me with some impression as I haven't gotten a chance to audition any of them yet.

May 27, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 21
I'm currently looking to buy a pair of electrostatics. I'm interested in SR-009S, Shangri-La Jr, and VOCE. I'd appreciate if any of you out there have heard these headphones could provide me with some impression as I haven't gotten a chance to audition any of them yet.
Get the SR-009S, forget the other two.

May 27, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #4 of 21
What amp/source are you planning on using?

May 27, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #5 of 21
What amp/source are you planning on using?

For office rig, SRM-D50 dac/amp playing from Roon.

For home rig, BHSE + Hugo TT2 also playing from Roon.

Main genres (not in any particular order): pop, edm, classical, acoustic, jazz, country.

From my point of view, I think I'd benefit from VOCE's warm sound and bass impact for edm and pop. However, the 009S would be better for the rest. I have no idea how the Shangri-La Jr fair against the other two.

May 28, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #6 of 21
For office rig, SRM-D50 dac/amp playing from Roon.

For home rig, BHSE + Hugo TT2 also playing from Roon.

Main genres (not in any particular order): pop, edm, classical, acoustic, jazz, country.

From my point of view, I think I'd benefit from VOCE's warm sound and bass impact for edm and pop. However, the 009S would be better for the rest. I have no idea how the Shangri-La Jr fair against the other two.

I compared the 009S to the Shangri La Jr recently, and my impression was that the treble of the Shangri La did not have that electrostatic "feel" to it, so it sounded rather like a very good dynamic or planar headphone.
Maybe that is even desirable for some. I tried some amps with the 009S and always had either not enough bass or not enough treble, so you might really have to hear them on a KGSSHV or BHSE, which I want to do next.

May 29, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #7 of 21
Shangri La- seemed overpriced. I thought the Voce routed it in almost every way, although I love the Jr. amp for the Voce. I think the high end Stax problem has been the same for 30 years. Detail, detail, detail - its my religion, it's all there is. Yet, there is an ineffable quality to music, in the shadows - and Stax highlight that too. I mean how can anyone say that too much detail is amusical? AllI know is I can relax and let the music come to me fff or ppp and everywhere in between - as music, w/o bias as to what is shown by Voce - in particular in the treble. The Stax highlights details and healps them upon details, and I'm not sure its music anymore, but scratching notches in the gunbelt. In the bass, the Voce moves a lot more air than the Stax, getting nearer to being "bass cans" - although they are not.

I know the objectavists and Stax fans won't buy that. Well buy this. The Voce is easily the best headphone I've ever heard easily outpacing any of the Stax models I have ever heard - for the main purpose - playing music faithfully.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #10 of 21
Forget the hifiman,009s will do everything better then the Shangri-La Jr except some kind of spatial soundstage imo.
btw,the horrible build of hfm is another problem you have to worry about. :deadhorse:
Spatial soundstage from Stax and it Dynamic are scaling a whole hell lot with Amplifier. Get it a KG T2, and even HE-1 will shy to compete. Don’t let anyone tell you that BHSE is close to T2....not even close....it is only close if you think Earth and Moon is close

May 29, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 21
The legendary Unicorn T2 lands once a year.... Good luck with that..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back