Electrostatic headphones with Magnetic Drivers?
Jul 26, 2006 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Metabolife

New Head-Fier
From what I hear, the HE90s are the best headphones for mids and highs due to their electrostatic drivers, and the L3000s are some of the best in the bass department. Why not combine the two concepts to make one amazing do-it-all headphone?

Would this be possible? I know I would be on line to buy a pair of these super headphones. No matter how many years I would starve for.

Jul 26, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #3 of 13
Doesn't the K-340 use a piezo element and a dynamic?

As for mixing electrostatic panels with dynamic drivers... it's easier said than done. I think it'd be especially difficult in a headphone. They're small and it'd be difficult to accomodate the size of an electrostatic panel as well as the dynamic driver. Can't say it couldn't be done, however, it'd be tough.

If you want to see a combination of the two in action, take a look at Martin Logan loudspeakers. They have several models that use an electrostatic panel for mids and highs and a dynamic driver for bass. They're pretty good- go audition some if there's a store nearby. You'll be impressed.

Jul 26, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Doesn't the K-340 use a piezo element and a dynamic?

Electret + dynamic.

Quote:

As for mixing electrostatic panels with dynamic drivers... it's easier said than done. I think it'd be especially difficult in a headphone. They're small and it'd be difficult to accomodate the size of an electrostatic panel as well as the dynamic driver. Can't say it couldn't be done, however, it'd be tough.

You can cut electrostatic diaphrams in whichever shape you want, so if you made an O shaped diaphram and mounted a small dynamic subwoofer in the middle it'd work. Alternatively you could do what AKG did and use 6 smaller electret/electrostatic elements in a ring around the dynamic transducer.

Jul 26, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #7 of 13
The K340 uses 1, not 6 electrets, a big one mounted in the middle. Crossover is mechanic with the dynamic driver mounted behind a panel and 5 small passive diaphragms linking it to the main chamber with the electret.

Jul 26, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Thanks for the reply; I didn't know that. How does the K-340 cross over between the two?

From my understanding, they're just connected up in parallel, not even using a passive crossover, and the differences in impedence at various frequencies steers the majority of the signal to the more suited driver. Hopefully someone who has opened a pair up will be able to comment on whether this is accurate.

Jul 26, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by barkas
The K340 uses 1, not 6 electrets, a big one mounted in the middle. Crossover is mechanic with the dynamic driver mounted behind a panel and 5 small passive diaphragms linking it to the main chamber with the electret.

Wait, what are those satalite diaphrams if not electrets?

Jul 26, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #10 of 13
K340jg.jpg

EDIT: the electret is the big metal thing in the middle, those are just passive diaphragms to tweak the frequency response or something.

Jul 26, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by barkas
K340jg.jpg

EDIT: the electret is the big metal thing in the middle, those are just passive diaphragms to tweak the frequency response or something.

Interesting. What technology is used to drive them? Electrodynamic? Electrostatic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back