electrostat amp question, where does the Woo GES fit into the stax line?
Jun 8, 2008 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

el_matt0

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys I'm fairly new to electrostatics, I've had the pleasure of trying a few pairs but beyond that I'm just trying to wrap my head around the somewhat confusing line of various vintage/current production electrostatic headphones and amps that are available out there. I have a pretty good idea of the Stax line now I think, I've taken quite a bit of time to look into most of the models they have and have had in past. However I was recently looking at the Woo GES, and I'm wondering (in terms of SQ), where it most likely fits into the Stax line-up? Price-wise I have a fairly good idea of course. I assume the Woo would handle something like a Lambda-Pro very well, but what I wonder about is its capability to deal with something like an Omega II. One can ask for the HE90 upgrade output, so I assume the Woo is capable of handling any of these higher end electrostats too, or am I wrong? Would it be "worse" than simply going with a high end stax amp made specifically to be paired up with the OII's? I'm just trying to get a good sense of where things all fit together (although sadly I know rarely are things that black/white
frown.gif
)

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 7
The GES is based on an old Gilmore design and has lower voltage swing than KGSS and Blue Hawaii. From what I've read, very few people have compared it directly to the best Stax amps (717, 007t), but I remember one or two people saying it was better than the Stax designs.

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 7
I have not heard the GES or all the Stax amplifiers. But from what I have read it probably goes like this:
* Stax SRM-T2
* Woo Audio GES
* The rest of the Stax amplifiers

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 7
I would agree with krmathis. The GES is just above or right at the same level as the 007tII. They are slightly different in presentation. with the GES giving more of a tube sound. But with the easy ability to tube roll and upgrade caps in the GES, it would take the lead for me.

Cheers,

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 7
cool, thanks for the input guys. on a slightly different note, can anyone comment on the bias voltages of the orpheus and baby orpheus. are they 580v and can be used on a stax pro bias amp, or do they need to be modified for usage on a stax amp (or alternatively does the amp need modification like the Woo GES offers for the HE90's [not 580V???] ). I know that the connector on the baby orpheus is different than the stax 5 pin, but ive seen several that have simply been reterminated. is the situation the same with HE90s?

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would agree with krmathis. The GES is just above or right at the same level as the 007tII. They are slightly different in presentation. with the GES giving more of a tube sound. But with the easy ability to tube roll and upgrade caps in the GES, it would take the lead for me.

Cheers,

resurrecting this thread. Is the GES really better than the 717 also?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back