[ElectronicGoldMine] High impedance 300ohm 1.5' "made for a factory making expensive headphones"
Jan 28, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:
Is the ground hooked up properly? 

Measure resistance at the plug:
1: Tip to sleeve
2: Ring to sleeve
3: Ring to tip

1&2 should be the same within a few percent (perhaps 10%) 
3 should be equal to 1+2 or put another way 1&2 should each be half of 3. 

Mounting the drivers slightly behind the baffle should not have a significant effect on the sound, provided the driver membrane does not touch the actual baffle. In the pictures you posted it looks like there is a few mm clearance so this should not be an issue. 

I haven't tried this test yet....I am going to have to try this to see what I get.   thanks for the tip.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #17 of 25
I think I may have to ditch trying to mount these drivers in a closed back design.  I tried moving the drivers closer to the surface, angled them to try to line up with ear cannals, and left a small vent from the ear side into the back side of the cup.  The low end seemed to drop off significantly..so I sealed up the vent and the low end came back.  But then the mid and highs went back to square one....compressed and subdued...sigh....  I think time to scrap the cup design and try the open back design similar to the Grado cups.  Got to take a break for a week and pick this up again....keep you guys updated.

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #18 of 25
Grado cups have a surprising effect on the sound. 

Try putting pads on the baffles you made, and just holding them to your head without any cups at all. If it works, figure out a headband. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #21 of 25
Anyone buy a set yet? From the pictures they look like junk but wont know till someone tries. Ill get a pair but just the same i'd rather not bother if someone else already did.

May 18, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #22 of 25
Sorry about not posting updates.  Tried a couple different designs and tunning mods.  The Sony cups don't work well.  The entire spectrum seems compressed.  I tried a design similar to Grados..Mid and highs are wide but lost the lower end.  I am about to give up on these drivers.  I am going to give it one last try with a design similar to the HiFiman...4 inch PVC pipe or wood tube.  Keep you guys updated as soon as I get something together.  I have to say that the sound I do get is very tight and controlled...if that is the right way to describe it.

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #23 of 25
So what was the final assessment of these drivers? Did you try opening up the vent holes (if there are any)....or add dampening to the back of the driver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back