Aug 25, 2001 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 112

Nikolai Dot Org

Head-Fier
Dreamy, idealistic, fantastical, tweaked obsessively:

Bill Laswell: Dub Chamber 3
Boards of Canada: Music Has The Right To Children
Boards of Canada: Hi Scores
Bola: Soup
Future Sound of London: Lifeforms (2-CD set)
Future Sound of London: ISDN
Higher Intelligence Agency: Freefloater
Sounds From The Ground: Kin
Steve Roach: Dreamtime Return
Steve Roach: On This Planet

Up-tempo, foreground, more active:

Coldcut: Let Us Play
Daft Punk: Homework
Jestofunk: Love In A Black Dimension
Orb: The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld (2-CD set)
Underworld: Beacoup Fish

All are essential and must be owned by any fan of the genre.

A disclaimer: I don't care for bands like the Chemical Brothers. Arena-friendly big beat techno is tiresome to listen to at home or work.

Aug 26, 2001 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 112
Excellent suggestions! Although I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of Steve Roach or Jestofunk...living in America is lame when you're an electronica fan. I'll try and find those CDs though, you seem to have high regards for the same stuff I do.

What about Autechre though!? Check out "Amber", what a great CD! Especially track 7, which is called "Nine". Actually maybe its the other way around...crap cant remember!

Also anyone into dreamy electronica or trance MUST GO OUT RIGHT NOW and buy Sasha & Digweed: Northern Exposure 2 (Eastcoast Edition). It is PERFECT the whole way through, but especially from track 10 to the end (with something comparable to HD580s and a good amp), you float about 3-5 inches off the ground and a bright light comes out of nowhere to shine on you.
tongue.gif
Then you pass out for about 4 hours. The only thing I don't like about that CD is the fact that I always get drool on my shirts listening to it.

Orbital has some good stuff too, and anything done by Hybrid is golden. Who ever thought a 90-piece Russian sympony and breakbeats would sound so good together?

And don't forget Basement Jaxx, with tracks like "Rendevous" or "Red Alert".

Aug 27, 2001 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 112
I would like toi add the following as Must have Electronic Music

(1) Steve Roach= The Magnificent Void

(2) Klaus Schultz= Moondawn

(3) Jean Michel Jare= Oxygen
= Magnetic Fields
= Concerts in China

(4) Wendy Carlos= Switched on Bach 2000

Their are manny others i could include but the abve just off the top of my head

I see you listed one of my all time fav Orb CD.s This one is included in my Desert Island List.

Aug 28, 2001 at 8:03 AM Post #6 of 112
Nice selection there! I'd like to add some more essentials:

- Aphex Twin (how could you guys forget him??): Selected Ambient Works 85-92
- Aphex Twin: Selected Ambient Works vol. II
- Aphex Twin: I Care Because You Do
- Aphex Twin: Richard D. James Album
- Future Sound Of London: Dead Cities
- Kraftwerk: Autobahn
- Oval: Dok
- Pole: 3
- Scannerfunk: Wave Of Light By Wave Of Light
- Squarepusher: Hard Normal Daddy
- Photek: Modus Operandi

Aug 28, 2001 at 8:21 AM Post #7 of 112
Wab: it is just so hard to List all the Electronic stuff at once. Aphex Twins Selected Ambientt Works I like alot. while i am hear all Add Laurie Andersons Big Science, The only CD by Her I like the Rest of her stuff is To strange for me.

Aug 30, 2001 at 2:19 AM Post #9 of 112
Wow, a lot of suggestions here! I'll try these out...

From what I've got so far...

I would recommend:

- Any of the Gatecrasher compilations
- Almost anything from Global Underground (although I'll have to say Dave Seaman: Buenos Aires and Sasha: Ibiza are two of the best I have)
- Paul Oakenfold: Planet Perfecto: Fluoro (I hate recommending oakie but I like his fluoro cd a lot)
- Renaissance: Awakening
- Sasha and Digweed: Northern Exposure 3: Expeditions (I'll try out NE 2 now that Brian has suggested it)
- Euphoria: Ibiza (yes, one of the MANY cashcow "Ibiza" compilations out there, but this one is frickin' awesome)

I'm looking for more trance and this suggested list is great! Thanks guys.

What kind of sound does Steve Roach have? I'm really more into progressive trance...

Aug 30, 2001 at 6:10 AM Post #10 of 112
Steve roach is Mostly into Ambient. If you like The Orb, Brian Eno and Similar the Do Check out Steve roach and My recomendation for Steve roach First listen is Magnificent Void. This is a crossover Between Ambient and trance.

Aug 31, 2001 at 1:41 AM Post #12 of 112
I agree... Orbital has some good material. I'm not familiar enough with them to make a clear-headed recommendation, though.

Fellow Head-Fi'ers, please try not to scare the newbies away! Aphex Twin is a talented musician, but his stuff is quite experimental and frequently harsh to the casual listener.

I *strongly* disagree that Magnificent Void should be the first Steve Roach CD to purchase. It is a good title, but is not trancey at all... sounds more like a horror movie soundtrack. It is a very slow moving, spooky listen.

The first Steve Roach CD I heard was "Structures From Silence", which makes a good introduction since the re-release is available in a higher quality format. Also, "Dreamtime Return" is a must since it is his signature work.

Aug 31, 2001 at 2:44 AM Post #13 of 112
Yea, I can't believe I forgot Aphex Twin! I totally agree though that it may be too "wierd" for people just getting into the genre. But man, even newbies would probably love his music videos. They're great! Especially Donkey Rhubarb and Windowlicker. Windowlicker is an awesome song, and one of the funniest videos ever.

Gotta re-recommend Autechre - Amber. I just love that CD. Track seven is amazing. Just a few synths with x-delay on them and some really atmospheric stuff going on in the background. Man does it put you on another planet listening through a good system. It's great to listen to when it's like 5am and you're just starting a paper that's due in 3 hours. It brings everything together...

Also, Raymond I think you'd like the Renaissance CD mixed by Deep Dish. Wait maybe that's the one you're talking about, crap now I'm confused.

Aug 31, 2001 at 3:40 AM Post #14 of 112
I would not Say that Magnificent Void is Like A Horror Movie, I think it is more Like A si-Fi Space Movie, But Some tracks are Kind of Spooky. Also Structures in Silence is a Great Listen maby It might Be good as A first Listen to Introduce Steve roach as is Strange Gargo. William Orbit Dose alot of Different Styles of Electronic and I like Pieces in Modern Style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back