Electronic Rock
Jan 14, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #17 of 41
you might want to check out Stereolab too. may not be heavy enough, but their album Emperor Tomato Ketchup is an electronic rock masterpiece.

John McEntire adds brilliant layers of electronic textures to what I think is one of the best albums of the past 20 years.

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like Radiohead then you will also like Muse.

Muse (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

IMO Muse sounds like Radiohead without the Electronica. And more loud/more metal like.

Playradioplay! is some pretty nice electronic Rock.

Also, Postal Service is great too.

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #19 of 41
Bands incorporating the use of electronics into their music is getting more and more prevalent, and it's hard now to classify all the different sub-genres that are spilling out. If you liked Kid A and Mezzanine, I'm thinking you'll also enjoy the following:

Check out the Morr Music label. All their artists fit into the idm/melodic-idm mold and all are stellar. Some with samples you can check out:

Electric President

The Notwist

Múm

These may serve as a gateway into more idm-centric (not really band) stuff. If you enjoy the above, you may also want to check out one of the best Morr Music compilations showcasing a bunch of their signed artists: Putting the Morr Back in Morrissey

Some of the other bands in this thread I wouldn't really agree with as having a post-rock electro sound, but these I would highly recommend (albums with most similar feeling to Kid A included):

Ratatat (any album)

Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun

Tortoise - Standards

Björk - Vespertine

Air - 10,000 Hz Legend

Zongamin - Zongamin

Massive Attack, and particularly Mezzanine are closest to the "trip-hop" sub-genres, of which there are plenty of bands to explore. I'm not going to link them all, but I'll just give a small list:

Portishead
Sneaker Pimps
Lamb
Noise for Pretend
Tricky
Morceeba

Let me know if you like any of the above and I can give you more avenues to explore!

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #20 of 41
oh geez... can't believe i forgot Trans Am... they rock out with great electronic washes.

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #21 of 41
Portishead - Third

Jan 17, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

If you like Radiohead then you will also like Muse.

Muse (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Never did get in to Muse and im a big Radihead fan.
Failed to see the similarities between the two.

Jan 17, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #23 of 41
Read the wikipedia article I posted and you will see it states right there that they are similar. First time I heard Muse I automatically thought of Radiohead. The similarities were very obvious to me. I fail to see how someone can like Radiohead but not Muse.

Jan 17, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Read the wikipedia article I posted and you will see it states right there that they are similar. First time I heard Muse I automatically thought of Radiohead. The similarities were very obvious to me. I fail to see how someone can like Radiohead but not Muse.

'Many Muse songs are recognisable by lead vocalist Matthew Bellamy's falsetto. This has led to Bellamy being compared to Thom Yorke of Radiohead.'

The lead singer does sound like Thom York, but I agree with Kwitel that Muse is quite different to radiohead. It's kinda like there earlier stuff (The Bends) but more 'epic' and intense.

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The lead singer does sound like Thom York, but I agree with Kwitel that Muse is quite different to radiohead. It's kinda like there earlier stuff (The Bends) but more 'epic' and intense.

"Origin of Symmetry was well-received by critics; Dean Carlson of Allmusic commented that "...if you want to sound like Radiohead when even Thom Yorke doesn't want to sound like Radiohead, you might as well take it to such preposterous, bombastic, over-the-top-levels"."

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #27 of 41
Alright, here goes:

Does It Offend You, Yeah? - Not really what I'm looking for. Sounds too much like dance music, which is not what I'm after.
LCD Soundsystem - I bought their self-titled, and am enjoying it.
The Infadels - I could go either way on this one. I'll pick it up if I ever see it cheap someplace.
UNKLE - I bought Psyence Fiction, and am enjoying it.
Fischerspooner - Again, not what I'm after. Same with IAMX.
Slowdive - Again, I could go either way on this one.
Sigur Ros - Already a big fan, but not really what I'm looking for. I have enough post-rock at the moment.
Boards of Canada - Sounds interesting. What's a good album to start with?
ADULT - Not what I'm after.
Miss Kitten - Same.
LAdytron - Same.
Nine Inch Nails - Too dark for me. I just can't get into them.
Depeche Mode - No matter how hard I try, I cannot get into them.
Sneaker Pimps - I have enough trip hop for now.
Morcheeba - Same.
Hooverphonic - Same.
65daysofstatic - I have listened to some of their stuff on last.fm. I have The Fall Of Math on my wish list, and am waiting until I can get it cheap.
Tortoise - I have TNT, but its not really what I'm looking for.
Birdsongs of the Mesozoic - Not what I'm after.
Juno Reactor - Too trance for me.
Bloc Party - Not what I'm after.
Pitchshifter - Not what I'm after.
120 Days - Sounds pretty good. What's a good album of theirs to get?
Android Lust - Not what I'm after.
Muse - Already a big fan, but not what I'm looking for. Not really "electronic" rock either. I fail to see the Radiohead comparisons.
Stereolab - Again, too dark for me.
Playradioplay! - I could go either way on this one.
The Postal Service - I bought Give Up, and like it so far.
Electric President - Good. Added to my wishlist.
The Notwist - Also good.
Mum - Also good. Sounds a lot like Sigur Ros.
Ratatat - Very good!
Bjork - Not my cup of tea.
Air - On the fence.
Zongamin - Not what I'm after.
Trans Am - I saw these guys open for Tool on their last tour here. Wasn't very impressed, but I'll give them another shot. Whats a good album to get?
Portishead - I already own Dummy, but I haven't gotten into it yet. I'm sure I will based on the first listen through though.

Also:
Mute Math - Anything along the lines of 'Reset' would be awesome.

Maybe this will narrow down what I'm looking for. Thanks to everyone for the recommendations.

I guess I'm looking for rock with a hint of electronic, not electronic with a hint of rock.

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #28 of 41
stereolab is not dark... maybe you're thinking of something else?

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by festivus528 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A
Boards of Canada - Sounds interesting. What's a good album to start with?

I think I picked up Music has Rights to Children first and kinda went backwards in their catalog.

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by festivus528 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I guess I'm looking for rock with a hint of electronic, not electronic with a hint of rock.

The early Stereolab is very much rock with a hint of electronic. I think Mars Audiac is when they went into more of a lounge rock type thing. The 18 minute long Jenny Ondioline is pretty amazing. I do agree with you that Stereolab can sound dark in terms of their politically motivated lyrics, but I think the music have remained upbeat. French Disko is a prime example. Even Margerine Eclipse, the album dedicated to the death of Mary Hansen, the perfect vocal foil to Laetitia, is an upbeat album musically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back