Electronic-Prog-Rock-Something?
Feb 14, 2010 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

enthewhite

New Head-Fier
Wow, this is great! I have been poking around here lately to research headphones, but didn't realize there is such a wealth of good taste in music too!

Anyway, I have been looking for some music lately, but I am not quite sure how to search for it, I guess because I am not even sure if it exists, much less what its genre would be called.
confused_face(1).gif

I am thinking of something like a cross between prog-rock and electronic.

I love the interesting melodies and time signatures of prog (Frost*, Dream Theater, Karmakanic, Ritual, Unexpect, Steve Vai,... - to name a few)

And I love the sonic richness of electronic music, although I am not nearly as familiar with this genre as prog-rock. A couple artist I have enjoyed are Hol Baumann, Autechre, Solar Fields. Also been listening to Imogen Heap.

So if you think you know of some music I might enjoy please post a suggestion
smily_headphones1.gif
I can tolerate some pretty crazy stuff...

Ian

Feb 14, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #2 of 29
As a bit of an old f*rt I'm afraid I don't recognise any of the artists you list but I suggest you try Ozric Tentacles. Erpland and Pungent Effluent would be good albums to start with.

Feb 14, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 29
Ah yes, thanks for your reply! I have heard Ozrics and do like what I've heard so far. I am surprised I forgot to mention them in my post. I like the fusion of rock and electronic with them, but maybe a bit on the jam-band side as opposed to what I am looking for, although I do enjoy their music and I need to get a couple of their albums. (I have only heard them on the internet station I listen to: progulus.com)

Feb 14, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 29
Prog... mmm they certainly aren't electronic, but Opeth is THE BOMB when it comes to prog. Blackwater Park was probably the best CD of the past decade. Meshuggah is another one to check out. They make dream theater look simple, if you understand what they are actually doing.. check out "Straws Pulled at Random". Other than that... Sky Eats Airplane is... prog electronic screamo?

Feb 14, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #6 of 29
OSI are probably the closest thing I can think of to electronic prog-rock. Have only heard snippets of their earlier stuff and I understand Portnoy's now given up his place for Gavin Harrison but I like their most recent album, Blood.

Riverside are great, but their sound's far too "organic" to be considered electronic IMO.

Feb 14, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #7 of 29
^ agree! I *love* OSI, and suspect the OP will, too.

I'm a big electronic music person, and OSI is my favorite prog rock.

I can't even think of any other good recommendations right now...

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 29
Also by Imogen Heap :Frau Frou "Details"
Feautured on one track is the incredible trumpet work of the exact type of musician you are looking for-Jon Hassell. Check him out for sure. His latest "Last Night The Moon Came Dropping Its Clothes In The Street"
Also, Sokolov91 mentioned Opeth. A few of their albums were produced by Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree. You may want to check PT out, definitely excellent prog.

Feb 14, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 29
Search under Post/math rock which is a sub genre of prog, is primarily instrumental and often crosses over with electronica/ambient. The 'best' known post/math rock groups are Mogwei and Tortoise. Early influences are the likes of Brian Eno and Krautrock. Mogwei are post emphasis on rock and guitar riffs. Tortoise have a more eclectic style. I see the likes of OSI as more metal/electronica.

Some bands who come to mind who are more electronica are

Denmark's Manuel and any of their albums.

From Georgia USA have a listen to Maserati.

Ulver from Norway. They vary in style dramatically between albums but for this thread try Peredition City.

Couch from Germany. The classic mix of Krautrock influenced hard edged electronica and electric guitar.

Absolutely bonkers Cornelius from Japan. Soundscapes using any sound imaginable and beautifully recorded.

Original Krautrockers Cluster and I would recommend the album 'Qua'.

Softer and more mellow soundscapes from Portand Oregon's Eluvium.

Then more electronic and rock is Parlour from Kentucky.

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #10 of 29
Feb 14, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #11 of 29
More towards the Autechre and Solar Fields side of the equation, and it's getting harder to track down. But I would recommend Kiesto (243.48:4) by Pan Sonic. That collection of works is an opus that doesn't get mentioned enough.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #13 of 29
Definitiley on the softer side, but maybe try Sigur Ros?
Neither Prog rock nor electronic, but I think they draw elements from both genres.
Incredibly dense, complex music.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Search under Post/math rock which is a sub genre of prog, is primarily instrumental and often crosses over with electronica/ambient. The 'best' known post/math rock groups are Mogwei and Tortoise. Early influences are the likes of Brian Eno and Krautrock. Mogwei are post emphasis on rock and guitar riffs. Tortoise have a more eclectic style. I see the likes of OSI as more metal/electronica.

Spelling police: the band is Mogwai, not Mogwei.
wink.gif
I would also suggest Explosions in the Sky, Fever Ray, and Trans Am. Radiohead also probably qualifies in this category for something more mainstream.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 29
I like alot of prog (metal, rock, fusion, just plain prog...), the only electronica I find interesting is Aphex Twin, squarepusher, or mu-ziq (greek letter mu, looks like micro). I think they're all drums and bass, but most dnb ain't that deep. They change alot, and some albums are clunkers.

Old shadowfax was cool (odd get even), lyricon, odd meter, electronic, but not really electronica. More new-age-y fusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back