Electronic-Prog-Rock-Something?
Feb 15, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #16 of 29
Okay, first off, thanks for all the suggestions. There is a lot of good stuff in there that I will be looking further into, such as Jon Hassel, Sky Eats Airplane, and Tortoise. I have music from Opeth, OSI, and Mogwai which I enjoy. Having said that, it is still not quite what I am looking for in this thread. Although I do enjoy the ambient, laid-back, repetitive electronic music (especially for working to) it is not so much that style of music I am after, but rather the depth and dynamic of sonic inventiveness (especially with stuff like autechre and solar fields)

Shortly, I guess I am looking for something a lot crazier and heavier than what has been recommended so far.

Here are a few examples of what I like. Taking all these songs and putting them together might produce something I am talking about.

Frost*
Something Chewie » Frost* – Hyperventilate
Unexpect
YouTube - Unexpect - Chromatic Chimera
Mr. Bungle
MR. BUNGLE Goodbye Sober Day MP3 (Stream/Download)
Tyondai Braxton (click on Uffe's Woodshop)
Warp / Records / Tyondai Braxton
Autechre
YouTube - Autechre - Gantz Graf - HD 720p version
Hol Baumann
YouTube - Hol Baumann-Handwritten Notes

Ian

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #17 of 29
Tortoise is definitely worth looking into. I assume since you specifically mentioned Tyondai Braxton, you already know about Battles. Mike Patton, of Mr. Bungle, has side projects in Fantomas and Tomahawk which are also very good.

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #18 of 29
Feb 16, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #19 of 29
Some of Nine Inch Nails' catalogue might fit into your description, but a lot of it may not be what you're looking for. I'd concentrate primarily on The Fragile and The Downward Spiral as albums on the progressive side of things, and Year Zero on the electronic side of things. You could also take a look at Ghosts I-IV, but they are all instrumental, and generally quite short in length. I'll list you a bunch of songs to get started that I feel might fit what you're looking for:

Just Like You Imagined, La Mer, The Way Out Is Through, Complication, Eraser, The Downward Spiral, Hyperpower, Me I'm Not, The Warning, The Greater Good.

A few NIN B-side/remixes might be worth checking out too, such as:
Even Deeper (Telefon Tel Aviv Love Dub), The Frail (Version).

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #20 of 29
I think Sleepytime Gorilla Museum will be crazy enough for anyone, although they only use electrically amplified and certain home made acoustic instruments. Dillinger Escape Plan is very extreme metal riffing chaos and occasionally melodic with bursts of electronics. I trust you are familiar with Aphex Twin? The Young Gods have a unique method of decomposing/recomposing popular music of all genres using samples. Japan has some interesting artists such as Ground Zero, Death Ambient, Ikue Mori who plays the laptop on various projects and many others.

I hope this is useful...

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #21 of 29
Hi there!

Great thread
wink.gif

My favourite:
- No-Man
- Nosound
- Sylvan
- Carptree
- Riverside (also single project of the leader - Lunatic Soul)
- Moonrise (The Lights of a Distant Bay - best album ever!!!)
- Dawn
- Quidam
- Phideaux
- Porcupine Tree (but that's obvius, espacially first album - The Sky Moves Sideways)
- Archive (especially "Lights")

and most recently Paul Cusick - Paul Cusick – Touch – Darmowe słuchanie muzyki w Last.fm listen it's free. That song blowed my mind!

Feb 16, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcin_gps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there!
- Porcupine Tree (but that's obvius, espacially first album - The Sky Moves Sideways)

The Sky Moves Sideways is their third studio album. The first one is On the Sunday of Life.... and second one is called Up The Downstair (this is one of their best albums).

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by enthewhite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, this is great! I have been poking around here lately to research headphones, but didn't realize there is such a wealth of good taste in music too!

Anyway, I have been looking for some music lately, but I am not quite sure how to search for it, I guess because I am not even sure if it exists, much less what its genre would be called.
confused_face(1).gif

I am thinking of something like a cross between prog-rock and electronic.

I love the interesting melodies and time signatures of prog (Frost*, Dream Theater, Karmakanic, Ritual, Unexpect, Steve Vai,... - to name a few)

And I love the sonic richness of electronic music, although I am not nearly as familiar with this genre as prog-rock. A couple artist I have enjoyed are Hol Baumann, Autechre, Solar Fields. Also been listening to Imogen Heap.

So if you think you know of some music I might enjoy please post a suggestion
smily_headphones1.gif
I can tolerate some pretty crazy stuff...

Ian

If time sigs are your thing and your willing to push your boundaries a bit, id start with these two:

Meshuggah-Catch 33
Textures-Silhouettes

Meshuggah is an animal unto itself. There is simply no other band on the planet like them. Many have tried to copy and all have failed. The combination of their oddball time sigs, angular riffs and relentless, minimal yet incredibly diverse songs structures will challenge and please the most trained ear. Furthermore, although definitely not prog-rock or electronic, their music is highly progressive and in many ways, reminds me of the minimalist-techno type sound. If you taught Richie Hawtin how to play bass and, made him angry-this is the metal he would produce. Listen to this album over and over again and one day, it will just "click".

If you take the above formula and add in a bit more melody, some electornic atmospherics and at times (dare i say) a bit more dynamics, you get Textures. This is one of the few bands thats really taken Meshuggah's formula and ran with it...in the right direction.

Finally, I would absolutley consider ISIS-Wavering Radient.
This is one of the best Post-Metal/Rock/Sludge albums ever produced and again, although its not electronic, it does manage to produce alot of the lush, atmospheric characteristics that much of electronica is known for. Everything ever produced by ISIS should be owned, but I feel WR is the most accessible and therefore, the best starting point.

Last but certainly not least, if you arent into Nine Inch Nails, well...get moving on that please.
icon10.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #25 of 29
you should checkout:

Aphex Twin, Mu-Ziq (greek letter mu, looks like a "micro" symbol), and Squarepusher.
I don't listen to alot of this stuff but they do have their moments (odd meter, melody...). I think they are all classified as drums and bass, but I don't think most dnb is necessarily intelligent. I know Aphex Twin varies alot from release to release.

Aphex-twin is the spazy-est, mu-ziq the most melodic, the squarepusher guy plays real instruments too.

Bill Laswell is pretty cool, but it tends to be too ambient for me. Talented though. Works with alot of artists, so google is your friend. Cypher 7 comes to mind.

Also there's some good music suggested above (stuff I'm more familiar with actually), but I don't think fans of the genre would consider much of it electronica.

Disclaimer: I'm mostly a metal-head, so ymmv.

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #27 of 29
Thanks for so many good recommendations! Keep 'em comin
wink.gif

When I get time I will start to edit the first post with a list of all the artists mentioned and let you guys know what I think.

I really like what I heard on Textures' Myspace so far... Has a nice Devin Townsend-ish sound. Which reminds me I need to get his new album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back