Electronic music fans - Headphones discussion thread
Jul 6, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #31 of 80
What a great idea for a thread - this will be fun to follow. Thanks for getting it started. I'll always have a huge place in my heart for electronic music. I DJed for quite some time in the early 2000s, first starting with downtempo at lounges and restaurants and then moving into house via multiple club nights and residencies. I was RIGHT as CDJs were making their entrance, so I remember us having huge spreads of two 1200s, two CDJs, mixer....eesh it was crowded. I was lucky enough to actually play at Ultra Music Fest in Miami one year (obviously not the main stage) and man that was fun. Club Space there in Miami was the best system I'd heard at the the time -- but that was a while ago. I'll follow this thread and maybe find some new cans!

Jul 7, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #32 of 80
T90, HD380pro, K545 with Brainwavz HM5 earpads, and DT770pro-250ohm are other fine headphones for electronic that should be mentioned.
HD25-1 II, T50p, T51p, PX360, HD360pro, ATH-ES88, and DT1350 while on-the-go for those not wanting to stick things into your ears.
KSC75 and Portapro if no budget, hahaha!
HFI2400 is a fun one for electronic, if I remember correctly, but I sold it off long ago.
The old V-Moda M80 (and probably its current XS successor) is another good one for portable on-ear use.
HD449 is probably a good choice as well with the right modifications.
Yes, I have indeed heard and/or own all of those. And too many more.

I think the DT990's brightness is part of their charm for trance...

Which T90 does much better, and with much better midrange as well.

Jul 7, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #33 of 80
  Have you compared them to any headphones? or bigger speaker systems?

I think my Mackie HR824 sounds pretty close to the HE-6 (perhaps a bit less warm, they are as neutral as anything I've heard). The main thing I've heard that bigger speakers do better is with sub-bass. You can get a used pair here of the original MK1s for about $500-700 USD and at that price they're quite the bargain. If I want to listen to techno, I generally use my Mackies instead of the HE1000.

Jul 10, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #34 of 80
  What a great idea for a thread - this will be fun to follow. Thanks for getting it started. I'll always have a huge place in my heart for electronic music. I DJed for quite some time in the early 2000s, first starting with downtempo at lounges and restaurants and then moving into house via multiple club nights and residencies. I was RIGHT as CDJs were making their entrance, so I remember us having huge spreads of two 1200s, two CDJs, mixer....eesh it was crowded. I was lucky enough to actually play at Ultra Music Fest in Miami one year (obviously not the main stage) and man that was fun. Club Space there in Miami was the best system I'd heard at the the time -- but that was a while ago. I'll follow this thread and maybe find some new cans!

Welcome! I see you have the Adam F5. How do you like them? What other monitors do you like?

I think my Mackie HR824 sounds pretty close to the HE-6 (perhaps a bit less warm, they are as neutral as anything I've heard). The main thing I've heard that bigger speakers do better is with sub-bass. You can get a used pair here of the original MK1s for about $500-700 USD and at that price they're quite the bargain. If I want to listen to techno, I generally use my Mackies instead of the HE1000.

Locally they're very expensive ($1600 for a pair) and shipping from the US to me costs a lot too. I tried them recently and they're decent. I also tried the Adam A8X and those were pretty good too although even more expensive ($ 2100 for a pair).

Jul 10, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #35 of 80

Welcome! I see you have the Adam F5. How do you like them? What other monitors do you like?

Those are the only monitors I have. They're at my office -- my home system has MartinLogan Motion LX16s, so a similar sound. Love me some ribbon tweeter!

Jul 23, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #36 of 80
Nice idea... electronics is too neglected with high-end, but for me its almost all I listen to using headphones, preferring speakers for most everything else.

Having built many PA systems I'm not into too much bass and prefer clear presentation with deep extension to strong midbass i.e. hit. Headphones I really like for electronica:
* Beyerdynamic T5p2: the revision does away with all my criticisms of the first version, offering clean bass that is strong enough but never overpowering, clean treble, great comfort, is very efficient.
* Pioneer Master-1: depends on the dac/amp, sounds really good with Pioneers own U-05 (at least in balanced mode, did not try single-ended with this one) and the Hugo. Spacious, great bass that hits hard but does so in a charming way. Comfort is exceptional, but definitely home-use only...
* MrSpeakers Ether C: with the Hugo it presents a very engaging performance with smooth treble and very deep reaching bass. Very comfortable, but too big for on the go.
* Beyerdynamic DT1350: to me still the best mobile headphone, quite neutral with nice mids and such a deep reaching bass I'd never expect given their miniscule size.

Currently I'm researching in-ears, but not really happy so far. Best overall is the InEar SD-4, but I'd like more extension down low. Shure SE846 does that quite well, but is a touch too dull for my liking. RHA T20i was a bit of a let down, and its bass-filter is a dark mess. Reference filter is OK, actually really nice treble, but bass does not fit my taste. I'll look into the Sennheiser IE800 next... and welcome any suggestions.

I mainly use a Benchmark DAC2 as DAC/Amp, added a Hugo just recently. Both perform really well with distinct signatures. For mobile use an iPhone must suffice, I don't use amps when on the go. Sitting down at a cafe the Hugo, the Mojo or the Dragonfly Red are quite nice, as is the AK320.

Quote:
  MT220 is perfect for electronic genres imo.

"Clean hard hitting bass with ample sub bass that does not drown out the mids ands highs" =  CHECK
"Bass slam" =  CHECK.. excellent with superb attack
"Highs need to be clean and non-sibilant" = CHECK

Thats the Yamaha HPH-MT220? Looks like a lot of plastic, but pads do look comfortable.

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #38 of 80
  Other important mention when it comes to speakers would be the Void acoustics system (best arrangement heard at Globus at Tresor, Berlin).

Oh yes I was very impressed with Globus, which was our next stop after getting "the hand" at Berghain.. 
biggrin.gif
 Wonderfully balanced sound, articulate bass that's not overpowering, just what I like (I use -15dB moulded Elacins btw). Too bad better music plays at the ****ty bass dungeon which I didn't care for at all... yeah original Tresor was cool too.. atleast when you're young and wasted. It's not fun anymore being sober snobby hifist so I mostly stay at home. 
wink.gif

SD modded HD800 with Sonarworks unlimited flat preset EQ is my weapon of choice.. perhaps missing the ultimate planar slam, but everything else that I want is there, openess, resolution, subbass (many people would be shocked how well the drivers can handle it). Bargain for 1000€. Perhaps I'll try out Focal Elears later.

Jul 23, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #39 of 80
In terms of DJ's, there's alot of better clubs in Berlin than Berghain, in my opinion. Speaking of such, ever been at Primavera in Barcelona? They used B&W I believe, really good sound, probably the best ive experienced at a festival. Not to mention the lineup! DJ Koze, Maceo plex, Moderat, Radiohead etc... Holy smokes.... 
HE-6 with FirstWatt F6 = best ive ever heard, my previous setup.
I hope Focal Elear or MrSpeakers Ether Flow will top that. I just really enjoyed the sheer speed HEK gave and hope to get that with better bass and soundstage then HEK. 

Aug 6, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #40 of 80
Hello.

Do you maybe have any recommendations for a 300-400€ price range headphones? I'm looking for a sound signature (as close as it gets for the available budget) described by Jozurr in the frist post as I mainly listen to techno.

Basically I haven't had any headphones worth more than 30€. Ofcourse I'm also willing to invest in an AMP and in a DAC to drve them properly.

Thanks!

Aug 26, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #41 of 80

Ive been reading a lot more about the Pioneer SE-Master-1, thinking of it as an upgrade/sidegrade to the HE-6. Have you compared the bass on it to other planars?
  In terms of DJ's, there's alot of better clubs in Berlin than Berghain, in my opinion. Speaking of such, ever been at Primavera in Barcelona? They used B&W I believe, really good sound, probably the best ive experienced at a festival. Not to mention the lineup! DJ Koze, Maceo plex, Moderat, Radiohead etc... Holy smokes.... 
HE-6 with FirstWatt F6 = best ive ever heard, my previous setup.
I hope Focal Elear or MrSpeakers Ether Flow will top that. I just really enjoyed the sheer speed HEK gave and hope to get that with better bass and soundstage then HEK. 

I've never been to Primavera, however that lineup is cool! There are many good clubs in berlin for DJs yes, but the vibe in berghain is close to none.

I wish to hear the Elear as well. If you do happen to listen to them, please compare them here against the HE-6+Firstwatt. Would love to hear your impressions!
  Hello.

Do you maybe have any recommendations for a 300-400€ price range headphones? I'm looking for a sound signature (as close as it gets for the available budget) described by Jozurr in the frist post as I mainly listen to techno.

Basically I haven't had any headphones worth more than 30€. Ofcourse I'm also willing to invest in an AMP and in a DAC to drve them properly.

Thanks!

For that price range I really dont think you can go wrong with the Massdrop TH-X00 (Original Mahogany). I have it and use it, and find it a lot of fun to listen to. It's well worth it's price. You can easily find it used on the forums a bit cheaper. HE-500 is another good option, but I'd take the TH-X00 over it.

Oh yes I was very impressed with Globus, which was our next stop after getting "the hand" at Berghain.. 
biggrin.gif
 Wonderfully balanced sound, articulate bass that's not overpowering, just what I like (I use -15dB moulded Elacins btw). Too bad better music plays at the ****ty bass dungeon which I didn't care for at all... yeah original Tresor was cool too.. atleast when you're young and wasted. It's not fun anymore being sober snobby hifist so I mostly stay at home. 
wink.gif

SD modded HD800 with Sonarworks unlimited flat preset EQ is my weapon of choice.. perhaps missing the ultimate planar slam, but everything else that I want is there, openess, resolution, subbass (many people would be shocked how well the drivers can handle it). Bargain for 1000€. Perhaps I'll try out Focal Elears later.

I just got back from Berlin, and the sound at Berghain is still pretty impressive (luckily got in again). The vibe inside is just insane. Staying till 10am on Monday morning was worth it (Although I moved up to see Tale of Us close panoramabar after 4am on Monday)! :D I noticed that the sound at panoramabar upstairs isnt all that great (Dont know what system it was but didnt sound or look like an F1) and find Globus to sound better. Not that the sound is bad, but just the F1 at berghain main floor has spoiled me. Another cool club I went to this time was Griessmuehle and everyone seemed to get in easy and there werent too many tourists (Hasnt made it to the popular lists yet it seems). Try it if you go again.

haha snobby hifist! I noticed that I kept listening to the SQ of the F1system and trying to decipher how low it goes, if it has any sibilance etc a LOT more than before. Seems like I'm on track :wink:

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #42 of 80
Hehe actually I ditched my HD800 and headphones altogether and switched to monitors. I was so impressed with EVE Audio SC307's, super open smooth sound and really tight slammy bass. I had Genelec 8050's to try at the same time and they were just mehh, uninvolving and sloppy bass. I guess I need to vacate this thread. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #43 of 80
I actually also bought the JBL LSR4325 monitors with room correction, which I really enjoy. They're huge and sound brilliant. After room correction the bass has tightened up but I think I need to add a sub at some point. Still cant use them late at night when everyone's sleeping.

Those EVE Audio look interesting. What are you using to control the volume?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back