Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
Nov 8, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #5,147 of 6,987
Just recently found out that a new self-titled album from The Crystal Method is coming out on 1/14 next year. There are some samples from the album here: https://soundcloud.com/the-crystal-method. I'm looking forward to it, sounds better than their last album Divided By Night!

Also some sort of fundraiser where they're giving out some swag: http://fundanything.com/tcm?locale=en

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #5,149 of 6,987
I just saw datsik, funtcase, protohype, and the Frim live, and it was mental. Never had so much fun, but now I really wish I wore my earplugs..

Glad you had a good time 
L3000.gif

Quote:

beerchug.gif

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #5,152 of 6,987
  Saw this on twitter:

Would ******** love to go to one of those.

I attended the Baltimore Mad Decent Block Party.  It was fantastic to see so many artists of different subgenres playing one event with a great community vibe.  However, with the Baltimore stop, there were some significant problems.

1: Set times.  While the last act (Major Lazer) was given enough time, all of the other acts got short-changed.  While I can understand keeping sets at an hour in length to fit everyone in, we're talking 30/45-min sets for the first half of the day. And even with an hour, I don't believe Zeds Dead (second-to-last show) were able to show off their full prowess 
triportsad.gif

2: Sound system.  The Pavilion's sound system SUCKED (ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it was not sufficient for this event).  If you were on the lawn, I'm sure it was fine, but it you were close to the stage, the waves curving around the speakers sounded terrible.

3: Riff Raff.  Whether you like his music or not, you would have been disappointed with him.  He missed his scheduled set time, causing them to have to kill time. And when he did finally show up, he had all of 20 mins to perform.  At least it was only that long, because he blew the performance.  The majority of the time, he had to have his backups sing in his place for Lord knows what reason.  I'm all for diversity in the lineup, but this just killed the vibe.

4: Organization.  There were staffers from Embrace, Mad Decent, and the venue present.  You'd go up to a staff member from one group to ask a question, and they'd direct you to different management.  No one was working together, and no one had answers or help.  Our biggest issues was that one person in our group had a VIP pass, and nobody could give him the information he needed or direct him to where to pick up his stuff/go to the VIP lounge.  AND, although he was never notified of a seat via email or when he purchased the ticket, he wasn't allowed to go to the floor area, even though he had the most expensive ticket and wasn't assigned a seat.  The medics were pretty sweet though.  Mad props to those friendly people.

5: Drugs.  Drugs happen, at any concert or festival.  But this was a ridiculous drug presence, more than most Electronic music shows.  I went without, and was just having a good time, but my glowing demeanor alone caused people to ask me what I was on or if I could give anything to them.  You saw countless deals and consumptions going on right in front of you.  And the staff did nothing.  They were adamant about people with VIP passes not going onto the floor area, but wouldn't get involved with harm reduction.  Not only that, it was all amongst the youth (I am of that age group).  All of the 21+ attendees seemed content with alcohol.  It was disheartening to see so many young folks partake.  

The issues may have been specific to my venue (namely the sound system) so take them all with a grain of salt, but while it was enjoyable, it was also definitely my least favorite concert/festival.  If the sound system was better, the staff were more organized, more thought was put into the schedule, and the young'uns eased up on the drug consumption, I think it'd be a very worthwhile event.  Here's hoping they look at the issues of this year and make it even better in 2014!

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #5,154 of 6,987
  I attended the Baltimore Mad Decent Block Party.  It was fantastic to see so many artists of different subgenres playing one event with a great community vibe.  However, with the Baltimore stop, there were some significant problems.

1: Set times.  While the last act (Major Lazer) was given enough time, all of the other acts got short-changed.  While I can understand keeping sets at an hour in length to fit everyone in, we're talking 30/45-min sets for the first half of the day. And even with an hour, I don't believe Zeds Dead (second-to-last show) were able to show off their full prowess 
triportsad.gif

2: Sound system.  The Pavilion's sound system SUCKED (ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it was not sufficient for this event).  If you were on the lawn, I'm sure it was fine, but it you were close to the stage, the waves curving around the speakers sounded terrible.

3: Riff Raff.  Whether you like his music or not, you would have been disappointed with him.  He missed his scheduled set time, causing them to have to kill time. And when he did finally show up, he had all of 20 mins to perform.  At least it was only that long, because he blew the performance.  The majority of the time, he had to have his backups sing in his place for Lord knows what reason.  I'm all for diversity in the lineup, but this just killed the vibe.

4: Organization.  There were staffers from Embrace, Mad Decent, and the venue present.  You'd go up to a staff member from one group to ask a question, and they'd direct you to different management.  No one was working together, and no one had answers or help.  Our biggest issues was that one person in our group had a VIP pass, and nobody could give him the information he needed or direct him to where to pick up his stuff/go to the VIP lounge.  AND, although he was never notified of a seat via email or when he purchased the ticket, he wasn't allowed to go to the floor area, even though he had the most expensive ticket and wasn't assigned a seat.  The medics were pretty sweet though.  Mad props to those friendly people.

5: Drugs.  Drugs happen, at any concert or festival.  But this was a ridiculous drug presence, more than most Electronic music shows.  I went without, and was just having a good time, but my glowing demeanor alone caused people to ask me what I was on or if I could give anything to them.  You saw countless deals and consumptions going on right in front of you.  And the staff did nothing.  They were adamant about people with VIP passes not going onto the floor area, but wouldn't get involved with harm reduction.  Not only that, it was all amongst the youth (I am of that age group).  All of the 21+ attendees seemed content with alcohol.  It was disheartening to see so many young folks partake.  

The issues may have been specific to my venue (namely the sound system) so take them all with a grain of salt, but while it was enjoyable, it was also definitely my least favorite concert/festival.  If the sound system was better, the staff were more organized, more thought was put into the schedule, and the young'uns eased up on the drug consumption, I think it'd be a very worthwhile event.  Here's hoping they look at the issues of this year and make it even better in 2014!

What an anticlimax to hear that. I don't have anything against drugs or so, and as for the organizational problems, while a bummer, they do happen from time to time. However, hearing that the sound system was bad, was ... bad. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #5,155 of 6,987
  What an anticlimax to hear that. I don't have anything against drugs or so, and as for the organizational problems, while a bummer, they do happen from time to time. However, hearing that the sound system was bad, was ... bad. 

Don't let me deter you from going!  There were just problems that could not be represented in the (admittedly awesome) documentary.  Just wanted to voice them, so that when you do go next year, if those problems are still present, you know what to expect.

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #5,156 of 6,987
  Don't let me deter you from going!  There were just problems that could not be represented in the (admittedly awesome) documentary.  Just wanted to voice them, so that when you do go next year, if those problems are still present, you know what to expect.

Oh, I probably won't be going there anytime soon. I live in Sweden. I just meant that I would go, if I had the chance :)

Yeah, they didn't exactly highlight the negatives in that documentary, but it being made by Urbanears (sponsor?) tells me that it's sort of a commercial at the same time. No biggie though, I've just always loved Mad Decent, and would've loved to be there.

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #5,157 of 6,987
  Yeah, they didn't exactly highlight the negatives in that documentary, but it being made by Urbanears (sponsor?) tells me that it's sort of a commercial at the same time. No biggie though, I've just always loved Mad Decent, and would've loved to be there.

All of the artists were forced to use UrbanEars 
tongue.gif
 and they were selling them at the merch tables.  I do hope you get the opportunity at some point! Although being in Sweden, you probably have better events with the same artists closer to home 
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #5,158 of 6,987

admittedly clean drugs combined with responsible use (which is very hard for some people) = safe + fun time. but this is rare
get plastered on alcohol isn't necessary better and more healthy... just more technically legal i guess
but i digress..

Nov 10, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #5,159 of 6,987

I really prefer progressive house like dirty south, axwell, and acts like kaskade but I think the number one group I want to see is A&B.. there sets are soo great. Really gets you in a mood like house doesn't

Users who are viewing this thread

Back