Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
Mar 2, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #4,471 of 6,987
Quote:

The sound profile is what threw me off.  I know "mind blown" is used to way too much to the point it lost meaning but that is what happened when I heard that song with the DT990s.

Been awhile on Solar Fields so I'm not sure how my tastes have changed (if they have) but I remember Blue Moon Station and Earthshine being good stuff.   My tastes have changed quite a bit and its been sometime since I've listened to Solar Fields (that's why I was glad you brought them back up) so I'm not sure I feel extremely confident recommending stuff.  If it was free, different story but look into those two if you are interested.

cheers =]

heres some DnB:

and heres some very cool chilstep:

god damn it... heres the link, its on "the fij network"...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3gHv0XO88Y&list=UUKIfZfDxB3CpSMULgmSsD3w

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #4,472 of 6,987
I have been going back through my CD collection and some people have been posting a lot of Japanese dance music. So I figured I would go old school. 
Of course the quality is going to suck. At least one of them was posted before youtube had HD.

Pizzicato Five about as DnB as they get. 

FPM - No idea what genre to place him in or if I would even want to. 

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #4,473 of 6,987
As a genre Nazi, I have to say, I wouldn't call that Pizzicato 5 track drum and bass. The amen break is pretty slow. It's even a little too minimal to be called breakbeat, and not close to being choppy or glitchy enough for IDM. I'd call it Chillout, but I don't know much about chillout other than what Trae has shown me, but I can say for certain that it's not jungle, or breakbeat. I did really like the track though. I've been growing an appreciation for minimal stuff lately.

The second track is definitely a hard one to classify. I'm not a 'steady' beat person so I can't say for certain, but it sound like nu-disco to me, but I don't know what I'm talking about whenit comes to steady beat genres lol. I just HAVE to classify everything.

I'm pretty sure I've posted this here before, but both of those tracks kinda reminded me of this, like if those two tracks had legit babies, this would be the audible result. .

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #4,474 of 6,987
Hey guys, it's been a while since I last posted so I'll just drop a bulk update of what I've been listening to that hasn't been posted yet. (PS. wow,this thread's about to hit 300 pages)

Not what Emperor is known for, but this is really good chillstep.

Miles ahead of the Brookes Brothers remix, is also a free DL if you sign up to Delphic's mailing list, only 128kbps though :frowning2:

Really warm and bouncy bass, solid EP too.

Great VIP, free WAV download as well, just like Ivy Lab on Facebook.

Mar 2, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #4,475 of 6,987
Solid selection. I was surprised by that Emperor track. He's usually got really aggressive neuro.

Can't say much about that techy track, though. Not my cup of tea.

That Shogun EP is VERY solid indeed, Blackout and Understand are pretty big tunes that I love playing.

Thanks for the heads up on that Ivy Lab track too.

...I don't know if you intended this, but all those tracks sound like they'll mix quite well, and in the order they're in too. ESPECIALLY the last two tracks. I'm not that good of a DJ that I can do such quick multigenre/bpm mixing, but I'm tempted to give it go just to see if I can.

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #4,477 of 6,987
I am the absolute WORST with genres. I am still learning all the dubstep territory ones. I just listen and if I like a track I like it. I classify it very basically. The difference between Glitch, Trap, Grime, Drumstep, Brostep is very confusing for me. lol It is all dubstep to me. I think in my case not knowing any better might be for the best. 

You're right Apo the Pizzicato track does stray more into the chill territory. Also I love the Wishery track. It does almost sound like it could have been done by FPM himself. I have heard a LOT of Fantastic Plastic Machine. 

Just A Doctor, Pendulum can do no wrong in my book, Knife Party is very close to perfect for my listening tastes as well but not quite. Pendulum and Madeon though can do whatever they want and I will listen. Just a sucker for them.

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #4,481 of 6,987
I just found out that Squarepusher and Photek released new albums last year. I probably need to pay more attention to the electronica genre.
wink.gif
Will likely pick up the new albums soon.

Even Orbital put a CD out last year, I thought they'd disbanded after the Blue Album? The Orb has a CD out from last year too, looks interesting.

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #4,482 of 6,987
Speaking of Chill, I don't believe I seen it get any love.  I went through a Chill phase so here is some chill as I know chill ...the stuff that makes you wish you were lounging on a beach some where tropical doing a whole lot of nothing except maybe watching the waves crash in.

Quote:
This has to be my tune of the month, ambient, chilled, house, call it what you will. (Give it time to get going!)

SIS - Miles From Me (Original Mix)

Well it keep saying Tech House throughout the video, so even though I suck at defining genres I'm gonna guess that!

Is that just a trick to make sure we watched?
tongue.gif
lol

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #4,483 of 6,987
Quote:
Speaking of Chill, I don't believe I seen it get any love.

I've posted a couple chillout/downtempo tracks but I'm not sure how much interest people following this thread have in that area of music so I've kind of concentrated on linking other stuff. The problem with chillout is that almost none of the songs I listen to are on YouTube. I can of course always upload the songs myself but it takes about half an hour to render and upload a video plus enter a video description and come up with some tags. I'll definitely be linking the chillout mix of Masanori Yasuda's "Kalos Eidos" once it comes out on Wednesday.

Here's a song I linked a while back:

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #4,485 of 6,987
Quote:
it took me forever to realize i was still listening to this song. i went to pause my itunes and was like wait... if the music isnt coming from here, where is it?

Lol I do that all the time, 10+ minutes long it's no surprise. I think they purposely make them long for more mixing potential?

Quote:
Even Orbital put a CD out last year, I thought they'd disbanded after the Blue Album? The Orb has a CD out from last year too, looks interesting.

Orbital has a new CD out? Sweet! Loved them since the first time I watched Hackers... Halcyon + On + On

Quote:
Well it keep saying Tech House throughout the video, so even though I suck at defining genres I'm gonna guess that!

Is that just a trick to make sure we watched?
tongue.gif
lol

I didn't watch the video, just listened to it... but Tech House sounds about right according to this:

"Tech house is a subgenre of house music that mixes elements of minimal techno into simple, 4-to-4 beats found in soulful deep house. ...."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back