Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
Oct 11, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #3,391 of 6,987
An album I enjoy quite a bit: Prometheus - Corridor of Mirrors (full album playlist in decent quality)

as for genres.. Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music is a bit dated, but pretty well done. It contains samples and (occasionally amusing) introductions of numerous genres and is in itself a piece of Internet history. A new version is in the works, but it has been for years already. I'm hoping it will eventually come out, though :)

oh.. and genre (and especially subgenre) boundaries are fluid. For example a couple of quotesfrom the awesome Ektoplazm site: 

Full-on psychedelic trance! High-energy music for peak moments. There are a bunch of related styles that we use to distinguish between different varieties of full-on: twilight (dark), morning (light), and uplifting (overly melodic and a bit cheesy to some). Rougher and heavier music can be found under darkpsy whereas if you are looking for funkier and more playful beats you might want to check out Suomi.

Darkpsy: The heavier end of the psychedelic trance spectrum with BPMs from about 148 to 160 with a mean of about 152. Related styles include psycore (our name for anything 160 BPM and up) and forest (the more organic side of darkpsy).

Forest: Murky, organic, and complex. An extension of darkpsy but different in some way that is sometimes hard to describe. Forest music has a particular vibe that you will learn to recognize over time but most of it will forever remain somewhat hard to distinguish from regular darkpsy.

I don't mean to derail the thread with my psytrance babble. Just saying the above examples might seem arbitrary (and they are!), but they make more sense when you get deeper into a particular genre.

Edit: MorbidToaster mentioned hardcore, so here's some from Japan I'd like to share:

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #3,392 of 6,987
I used a much older version of this when I was getting into the different parts of Hardcore. Love this guide. 

Quote:
An album I enjoy quite a bit: Prometheus - Corridor of Mirrors (full album playlist in decent quality)

as for genres.. Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music is a bit dated, but pretty well done. It contains samples and (occasionally amusing) introductions of numerous genres and is in itself a piece of Internet history. A new version is in the works, but it has been for years already. I'm hoping it will eventually come out, though :)

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #3,393 of 6,987
Here's a track from the '80s because I'm a bit tired of linking only stuff that was made during the past ten years or so. The second song doesn't really belong in this thread, but since I happened to bring up Herbie Hancock, I couldn't resist the opportunity to link Watermelon Man, since it's such an awesome song. The guys are actually using bear bottles as instruments on this track.

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #3,394 of 6,987
Pretty excited for upcoming OWSLA releases, Seven Lions and KTN have a release on it this month. Also super excited for Gemini's new release, and quite a few others.

Pretty sure I already posted Graveyard Shift, so I won't again, but I'll just post Jump Ya Body because the Black Magic EP comes out on the 30th anyway :)

Go to 22:46

Also, that's a nice avatar you have there Morbid :wink:

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #3,395 of 6,987
Thought you'd like it. LP should be here within the next 20 minutes, actually. Along with some other great stuff. 

ISAM came in a couple of days ago, as did I Care Because You Do. Oh, and the Richard D James repress finally came in stock and should be here tomorrow some time.

Quote:

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #3,396 of 6,987
Quote:
Thought you'd like it. LP should be here within the next 20 minutes, actually. Along with some other great stuff. 

ISAM came in a couple of days ago, as did I Care Because You Do. Oh, and the Richard D James repress finally came in stock and should be here tomorrow some time.

That's a lot of music, I'm sure you'll enjoy it all. Listening to that Feed Me essential mix again, can't get over how much good music is in there.

Edit:

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD

Edit 2:

Ok this is amazing as well, the whole EP sounds sick and I've never heard of the guy or his alias really:

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #3,397 of 6,987
Spor. Ahhhhhhh.

Also, did you guys know that 2 years ago NinjaTune released a box similar to the Amon Tobin box? CDs, and 10" LPs? Thinking about hunting one down soon...

Yeah buddy.

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #3,400 of 6,987
Quote:
Pretty excited for upcoming OWSLA releases, Seven Lions and KTN have a release on it this month. Also super excited for Gemini's new release, and quite a few others.

Pretty sure I already posted Graveyard Shift, so I won't again, but I'll just post Jump Ya Body because the Black Magic EP comes out on the 30th anyway :)

Go to 22:46

LOL @ "headshot", listening to the Essential Mix right now and that made me laugh.  It is confirmed that I think Feed Me is genius.  I believe the theme is more clear to me now, it sounds like the intro music of each section is eaten and regurgitated by the Feed Me character, it's just incidental that Feed Me sounds like a Transformer :)

Edit:  Listened to the whole thing, and it's very good.  Now I want to see Feed Me live.

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #3,401 of 6,987
One Click Headshot is a fun song for sure. 

Though I love Feed Me...I'd still be happier with more Spor...and from the looks of it Gooch is hard at work making that happen.

Quote:
LOL @ "headshot", listening to the Essential Mix right now and that made me laugh.  It is confirmed that I think Feed Me is genius.  I believe the theme is more clear to me now, it sounds like the intro music of each section is eaten and regurgitated by the Feed Me character, it's just incidental that Feed Me sounds like a Transformer :)

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #3,402 of 6,987
i could never put my finger on exactly what it was in this genre of music that i loved, but i knew two things: 1. the songs i liked were all from progressive trance albums and 2. no vocals. i don't know if anyone here enjoys this type of trance, but i thought if i listed a few here and you guys have an idea, then you could point me in the direction of similar songs. i find that i have a difficult time finding new songs to listen to. i find this music very soothing to listen to. (strange as it sounds, whenever i listen to a progressive album and a track with vocals comes on, my mood goes bad)

vincent de moor: fly away (cosmic gate remix)

gouryella: walhalla (rising star remix)

glenn morrison: contact

some others i really like:
kamaya painters: far from over
mat zo: 24 hours
a boy called joni: green astronauts
veracocha: carte blanche
rising star: touch me
etc.

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #3,403 of 6,987
Syrufit <3
[VIDEO] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuwAPxMgQYo&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/VIDEO]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back