Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
Jun 26, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #617 of 6,987

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #621 of 6,987
REALLY diggin this as well, thank you for the post. 

Quote:
Drapers new single, his style is like no other Dubstep artist I have heard before

http://soundcloud.com/drapermusic/painting-the-sky

I just got back from Re:Generation Festival, and I don't know if any one of you guys has ever been to an STS9 (umphreys, cheese, disco biscuits etc.) kind of gig, but O. MY. GOD.  Words really cannot describe the environment the "Festival" generates, its on another level. 

Here is a tune from STS9, keep in mind its 5 guys all playing live instruments (Synth, Bass Guitar, Drums, Guitar and Percussion).

Bassnectar played at this festival as well, and let me tell you, it was freaking INSANE!  I saw him a few months earlier in Portland and it didn't even come close to Friday's performance.  Apparently he has an IEM in one of his ears and a "Crew" out in the crowd that monitors how the crowd is vibing what hes playing and based off of the feedback, he'll play different stuff.  I was straight up front and center for his "Family Photo" as well, can't wait to see it.

I know this isn't the typical single track video, but I think this guy captured what its like to see the nectar Live:

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #622 of 6,987
This really made me smile (lots of nostalgia).

A song about Doom! Very dark, kind of reminds me of Massive Attack. The video is pretty graphic though.

Jun 27, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #624 of 6,987

Quote:
Apparently he has an IEM in one of his ears and a "Crew" out in the crowd that monitors how the crowd is vibing what hes playing and based off of the feedback, he'll play different stuff.  

FYI, all good DJs will pick their next song based on the crowds reaction to the last ones. The main job of the DJ is to read the crowd and know which song to play next, technical skills are almost negligible if you choose the right songs. The difference is most DJs use their own eyes instead of sending a 'crew' out to do the job for them. I don't know though, I've never seen bassnectar. Maybe he can pull such a big crowd to his gigs that he physically can't see them all and that's why he needs the crew?

I saw saw Terry Francis play 3 hours, then Claude von Stroke play a 3 and a half hour set on Saturday night. Two of the best sets I have ever seen right after each other, both such incredible DJs to play 3 hours with no mistakes! 

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #625 of 6,987

Quote:
FYI, all good DJs will pick their next song based on the crowds reaction to the last ones. The main job of the DJ is to read the crowd and know which song to play next, technical skills are almost negligible if you choose the right songs. The difference is most DJs use their own eyes instead of sending a 'crew' out to do the job for them. I don't know though, I've never seen bassnectar. Maybe he can pull such a big crowd to his gigs that he physically can't see them all and that's why he needs the crew?

I saw saw Terry Francis play 3 hours, then Claude von Stroke play a 3 and a half hour set on Saturday night. Two of the best sets I have ever seen right after each other, both such incredible DJs to play 3 hours with no mistakes! 

Yea, I agree with the DJ synopsis.  I don't think the use of a "Crew" is a crutch though for him though, I think that it allows him to connect on a deeper level with the crowd mainly because of its size.  Yes, he pulls massive crowds.  If you watched the video I posted on this page of his live red rocks performance, you'll understand why he needs some deeper feedback.  Keep in mind that a lot of the people who attend his shows are in "altered" states of mind as well, so I think that he uses the crew to try and understand what level they're on a little bit more than he would be able to just by looking at them.

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #629 of 6,987

Quote:
Yea, I agree with the DJ synopsis.  I don't think the use of a "Crew" is a crutch though for him though, I think that it allows him to connect on a deeper level with the crowd mainly because of its size.  Yes, he pulls massive crowds.  If you watched the video I posted on this page of his live red rocks performance, you'll understand why he needs some deeper feedback.  Keep in mind that a lot of the people who attend his shows are in "altered" states of mind as well, so I think that he uses the crew to try and understand what level they're on a little bit more than he would be able to just by looking at them.

Having a few people in the crowd helps him understand what 0.01% in the crowd thinks about the preformance, I don't think it'll enhance his set very much. It's a lot of hassle that will propably do more harm then good because it's propably quite distracting to have a few people yelling in your ear all the time.

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #630 of 6,987

Quote:
Having a few people in the crowd helps him understand what 0.01% in the crowd thinks about the preformance, I don't think it'll enhance his set very much. It's a lot of hassle that will propably do more harm then good because it's propably quite distracting to have a few people yelling in your ear all the time.

I disagree.  Below is a really high quality video (watch in 1080p) of his performace that I was able to experience on Friday night:

By crew, I believe its his close friends that he tours around with that are keeping tabs on certain sections of the audience to assure his set is going according to plan.  Not every part of the audience is on the "Same Page" so to speak.  If you've never been to an event like this its hard to explain, but usually a person in a section will give off strong vibes that a lot of other people around him/her pick up on and start to dance/feel that same way.  I think his use of the crew is to try and keep people as on-the-same-page as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back