Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
May 2, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #227 of 6,987
I think the SHM is more of a brand name now then an actual collection of artists from Sweden.  Can't say I'm the biggest laidback luke fan either, was just using him as a reference to what I think Kraddy does with The Glitch Mob.

O btw, I'm really like Pronobozo as well, pretty cool sound hes got goin = D.

May 2, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #228 of 6,987
Is anyone else sick of electro? It was one of my gateway genres to edm and I'm really sick of it now. Very unoriginal and it all sounds a bit too samey for me. Not to mention the fact that it has infected the charts and I hear it everywhere I go. I actually just finished deleting all final bit of electro I had of my clip to make way for some drum n bass and house.

May 2, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #229 of 6,987
Guilty as charged.

Edit: I do, however, enjoy Siriusmo. The guy seems to depend on subtlety and sophisticated buildubs throughout his songs in contrary to the hard hitting wobbles and huge drops that most of the big dubstep and electro artists use.

May 2, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #230 of 6,987

Quote:
Is anyone else sick of electro? It was one of my gateway genres to edm and I'm really sick of it now. Very unoriginal and it all sounds a bit too samey for me. Not to mention the fact that it has infected the charts and I hear it everywhere I go. I actually just finished deleting all final bit of electro I had of my clip to make way for some drum n bass and house.

I never really got into electro but I have the same feelings for Dubstep. I like something with a bit more emotion and a lot less cheese now, Deep House and Techno have been for-filling these needs very well.

May 2, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #231 of 6,987
Dubstep can be alright, as long as it doesn't feature filthy/grimey wobbles. Artists like mount kimbie, james blake, pariah, kryptic minds, clubroot and burial fullfill the need of atmospheric dubstep.

May 2, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #232 of 6,987

Quote:
Dubstep can be alright, as long as it doesn't feature filthy/grimey wobbles. Artists like mount kimbie, james blake, pariah, kryptic minds, clubroot and burial fullfill the need of atmospheric dubstep.

Yes! Nice to see someone naming some big producers that are doing their own thing. There is a current sound becoming more and more popular in dubstep called the Dungeon sound. Stripped back but still layered if that makes sense, very atmospheric and quite dark sounding.

To the post above, I am currently loving deep house. It's got the same kind of structure and sound to a lot of dubstep I listen to, but with a completely different beat and feel to it.

May 2, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #233 of 6,987
Quote:

Eskmo comes to mind for some good non-WUBWUBWUB dubstep. Some of Bar 9's tracks as well.

May 2, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #234 of 6,987
I'm severely getting into RJD2, Caribou, Four tet, and Pretty Lights since they played Moogfest last Oct, really great acts. I find myself constantly returning to Caribou - Jamelia. My local record store, Harvest Records, currently carries the Caribou and Four tet (RSD Release) LPs and I intend on picking them up in the coming weeks!

I'd also like to share my recent vinyl pick ups =) Deadmau5' 4x4=12, an artist who really shocked me in his proliferation of house music to the masses and expansion of the house scene in general, leading to an incredible influx of bold and amazing new talent; as well as the venerable Daft Punk's album Discovery, an absolute must have in one form or another in my collection over the past decade. I also got Coldplay's A Rush of Blood to the Head and the 1979 MFSL release of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, however, those aren't Electronic music so that will be my only mention of them. 

I leave you with Jamelia:

May 2, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #236 of 6,987

Electro is a genre that I adore, but I only listen to a select few artists because I agree that most of it is pretty generic at this point. You mention House, which is pretty much in the same boat as Electro for me. No real new stuff that really wows me anymore.

DnB however...I've been wowed a lot lately by some of the more recent releases.
Quote:

May 2, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #237 of 6,987

Quote:
Electro is a genre that I adore, but I only listen to a select few artists because I agree that most of it is pretty generic at this point. You mention House, which is pretty much in the same boat as Electro for me. No real new stuff that really wows me anymore.

DnB however...I've been wowed a lot lately by some of the more recent releases.

When it comes to house I like to dig, I don't really keep up with what's out now. There are so many fantastic sub-genres of house that you could dig forever, like acid, french, ambient, progressive, funky etc. 

May 2, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #238 of 6,987
French, Prog, Electro (House) are my preferred sub-genres. A little Acid, too.

Quote:
When it comes to house I like to dig, I don't really keep up with what's out now. There are so many fantastic sub-genres of house that you could dig forever, like acid, french, ambient, progressive, funky etc. 

May 3, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #239 of 6,987
Post gonna be short since its 4am and I spent 5 hours listening to most of this thread... (awful bad time to find a nice thread to read).

Anyways an all time favorite here
Ken Ishii: Time Flies

And "Extra" a video featured back in '95

Was looking for stuff on Kaito (Hiroshi watanabe) but youtube deleted a live I recorded on a roof some years ago, bloody youtube.
Nice crazy ass video though for Extra, sadly stuff like that wouldnt go on current JP tv now :frowning2:.

May 3, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #240 of 6,987
Do you think any of you can try to ID a track for me? Boris Werner dropped it in London a few weeks ago. I've been searching for it ever since and it was in this video that he posted on his facebook today! The first minute:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back