Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
May 19, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #5,536 of 6,987
Hello? I listen to 70's-80's pop/rock and 40's big band too! Its half my music library! There has been electronic since the 70's I realize, yes... And I love Kenny g. Lossless WAV files of most of his songs. Yes, I am 15... But I know what's good and what isn't. Omnitica? He deserves more than he's gotten. He is awesome. You are very wise, I'll give you that, but some of what you say I have to kindly disagree with. You have gained my respect sir.

So you were born in 1999??? Ouch, now I really feel old. Don't blink, man. Your 30's go by in a blur!

May 19, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #5,538 of 6,987

BTW I absolutely hate the term EDM, Been listening to all things "Electronic" since 09 and to me EDM refers to commercialized bad dance music... lately been getting very into melodic dubstep and chillout or chillstep and away from big room prog house

May 20, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #5,540 of 6,987
back then? you mean when 25+ years ago when house techno and their derivatives were created? you really think skrillex or any of those "artists" invented anything?

Not trying to start arguments but I was talking about the time in 2011/2012 when skrillex was starting to become popular and EDM became a term used commonly. I know electronic has starts that go back further than 3 or so years but when the now almost -typical-growl-and wobble-bass "dubstep" started becoming popular, there weren't anywhere as many producers trying to become popular as there is now.

May 20, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #5,541 of 6,987
Not trying to start arguments but I was talking about the time in 2011/2012 when skrillex was starting to become popular and EDM became a term used commonly. I know electronic has starts that go back further than 3 or so years but when the now almost -typical-growl-and wobble-bass "dubstep" started becoming popular, there weren't anywhere as many producers trying to become popular as there is now.
I've known about electronic since 2006... Dubstep originated from the U.K. in 2003 (supposedly.) and has grown in popularity because it has been thrown into the ring with American pop music and rap. It kind of makes me angry that something like electronic (HAPPY NOW? :D.) is being grouped in with the gangster drug smoking scene just because of a select few musicians. I tell people I like electronic music, or edm etc., and the first thing I hear? "HAVE YOU HEARD SCARY MONSTERS AND NICE SPRITES???!!??"... -_-... Me: you don't listen to electronic often, do you?... They then shrug it off, and I can see in their face they were confused by my reaction to them.

May 20, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #5,542 of 6,987
I've known about electronic since 2006... Dubstep originated from the U.K. in 2003 (supposedly.) and has grown in popularity because it has been thrown into the ring with American pop music and rap. It kind of makes me angry that something like electronic (HAPPY NOW?
biggrin.gif
.) is being grouped in with the gangster drug smoking scene just because of a select few musicians. I tell people I like electronic music, or edm etc., and the first thing I hear? "HAVE YOU HEARD SCARY MONSTERS AND NICE SPRITES???!!??"... -_-... Me: you don't listen to electronic often, do you?... They then shrug it off, and I can see in their face they were confused by my reaction to them.

You heard about it when you were 7?
That's impressive. I didn't hardly know what a genre was when I was 7.

May 20, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #5,543 of 6,987
You heard about it when you were 7?

That's impressive. I didn't hardly know what a genre was when I was 7.
yep. Doesn't mean I listened to it back then however. :D when I was 10, I stopped listening to pop music, and I started listening to 70's-80's pop/rock... I'm a partial 80's child. :D

May 22, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #5,546 of 6,987
I've known about electronic since 2006... Dubstep originated from the U.K. in 2003 (supposedly.) and has grown in popularity because it has been thrown into the ring with American pop music and rap. It kind of makes me angry that something like electronic (HAPPY NOW? :D.) is being grouped in with the gangster drug smoking scene just because of a select few musicians. I tell people I like electronic music, or edm etc., and the first thing I hear? "HAVE YOU HEARD SCARY MONSTERS AND NICE SPRITES???!!??"... -_-... Me: you don't listen to electronic often, do you?... They then shrug it off, and I can see in their face they were confused by my reaction to them.
You do realize hip hop is electronic music right? Modern hip hop production uses samplers, sequencers, drum machines, synthesizers, turntables, as well as live instrumentation. Electronic music is often associated with drugs too, it is not just hip hop. Just because someone likes a song that is a bit old or overplayed doesn't mean you are better than them because you exclusively listen to artists that have under 10k followers on soundcloud.

May 22, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #5,548 of 6,987
You do realize hip hop is electronic music right? Modern hip hop production uses samplers, sequencers, drum machines, synthesizers, turntables, as well as live instrumentation. Electronic music is often associated with drugs too, it is not just hip hop. Just because someone likes a song that is a bit old or overplayed doesn't mean you are better than them because you exclusively listen to artists that have under 10k followers on soundcloud.

Doesn't mean I'm better. Just means I search through more artists.
  I keep trying to type a response to convey how stupid this conversation is but it's just so futile...

I'd say you conveyed it fairly well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back