Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
May 15, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #5,506 of 6,987
Eagle Eyes was a Monstercat release, check Monstercat out, if you want. Please, don't say Skrillex is dubstep, and do t call every type of electronic "dubstep". Kyoto is by Dabin and it's Drum and Bass. Listen to Rogue or Tristam, maybe throw in some Dabin and Seven Lions for good measure. BTW, Daft Punk is like a Nu-Disco-y esque. (Sorry for the messy post.)

And Randy, know the truth of Omnitica, Moxix, and Masamune. :D https://soundcloud.com/omnitica https://soundcloud.com/masamunemusic https://soundcloud.com/moxix Moxix= hard Brostep, Omnitica= Progstep, and Masamune=... Some... Genre. I don't know. He is awesome. All I know it is very dark and gloomy. Listen to Straw Hat pirates by omnitica, Rage by Moxix, and Red Dragon by Masamune.

Thanks for the tips. I definitely know not to call Skrillex dubstep. Lol To be honest I never knew there were so many ... Sub-genres of maybe the larger umbrella of electronic music. I always knew I liked something about "electronic" music, but learning all these sub-genres is helping me pinpoint what I really like. I will check some of these recommendations out at lunch and check back. Thanks again!

May 15, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #5,507 of 6,987
I can find the same stuff on soundcloud... And more, since its a major music streaming service where anyone can upload. I've found 10+ awesome artists that are ONLY on soundcloud. I prefer underground artists. I can suggest them because not everyone has heard them, the ones I find are always very talented, and I love finding new artists everyday. I listen to so much edm its not even funny. And I have never even used beatport.

don't most of the producers who upload to soundcloud not have their songs downloadable? the ones that do usually only upload 320kbps mp3, which is not good. 15ish% upload .wavs. 

here's one of my favorite songs of the year. Only way to get a high quality is to pirate it or buy it off those two sites. This isn't even the whole song.

https://soundcloud.com/clayfacer/somcf

May 15, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #5,508 of 6,987

don't most of the producers who upload to soundcloud not have their songs downloadable? the ones that do usually only upload 320kbps mp3, which is not good. 15ish% upload .wavs. 

here's one of my favorite songs of the year. Only way to get a high quality is to pirate it or buy it off those two sites. This isn't even the whole song.

https://soundcloud.com/clayfacer/somcf

consider that soundcloud is a promotion tool and not a shop.
I shrug, thinking that you expect artist to upload music for free, or let you stream their music on sites that pay peanuts and a couple of cents for every thousand of streams of a track.

**** spotify, plain and simple, their business model is a scam for anyone except the few lady gagas and major label crap.

on a more positive note, the have been some ace podcasts on resident advisor lately, my picks are:

an excellent mix from legowelt:

and an unreleased set from 1987 by the one and only Ron hardy. 1

May 15, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #5,509 of 6,987
consider that soundcloud is a promotion tool and not a shop.

I shrug, thinking that you expect artist to upload music for free, or let you stream their music on sites that pay peanuts and a couple of cents for every thousand of streams of a track.

**** spotify, plain and simple, their business model is a scam for anyone except the few lady gagas and major label crap.

I read his message differently that he is thinking the same thing I am. I prefer to pay for and download tracks rather than stream them. I agree you can find amazing stuff on soundcloud, but now where do I go to purchase these tracks?

May 15, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #5,510 of 6,987
I read his message differently that he is thinking the same thing I am. I prefer to pay for and download tracks rather than stream them. I agree you can find amazing stuff on soundcloud, but now where do I go to purchase these tracks?

ah well, I buy vinyl whenever possible. I tend to stick with what i find on discogs, juno, clone.nl and the likes.

bandcamp for whatever I cannot find there.

May 15, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #5,511 of 6,987
you go somewhere else to get them. A lot of underground artists are underground for one reason: Their tracks are almost always free downloads. Heck, I asked an artist for lossless WAV files of their songs because they had 320 kbps tracks, and they sent them... For free. They aren't in it to make money. They are in it for the love of music! There's a fellow head-fier who uploads to YouTube, and offers free download links. Jaja on head-fi, and jastrian on YouTube. He is insanely amazing, but the reason he isn't famous? Not in it for money. If you are in it for the money, you'll get money for advertising and paying things like iTunes and music streaming services to have your stuff be recommended frequently.

May 15, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #5,512 of 6,987
you go somewhere else to get them. A lot of underground artists are underground for one reason: Their tracks are almost always free downloads. Heck, I asked an artist for lossless WAV files of their songs because they had 320 kbps tracks, and they sent them... For free. They aren't in it to make money. They are in it for the love of music! There's a fellow head-fier who uploads to YouTube, and offers free download links. Jaja on head-fi, and jastrian on YouTube. He is insanely amazing, but the reason he isn't famous? Not in it for money. If you are in it for the money, you'll get money for advertising and paying things like iTunes and music streaming services to have your stuff be recommended frequently.

Interesting.  Thanks.

I am checking out your earlier recommendations.  Like some stuff from Moxix (Rage is great) and Omnitica (Love Dubwoofer Substep).  Also like ibob4tacoz recommendation of Monstercat.

Perhaps it's been mentioned in this thread, but are there particular headphones favored by folks in this thread?  I have B&W P7's and Senn HD650's.  Haven't listened to any on the 650's yet (open back limits their use for me), but the P7's are doing a great job.

May 15, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #5,513 of 6,987
Interesting.  Thanks.

I am checking out your earlier recommendations.  Like some stuff from Moxix (Rage is great) and Omnitica (Love Dubwoofer Substep).  Also like ibob4tacoz recommendation of Monstercat.

Perhaps it's been mentioned in this thread, but are there particular headphones favored by folks in this thread?  I have B&W P7's and Senn HD650's.  Haven't listened to any on the 650's yet (open back limits their use for me), but the P7's are doing a great job.
hmm... Do the p7's sound like p5's? I'm looking at a graph... I personally prefer a little more mids than that, but it looks great.

May 15, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #5,514 of 6,987
hmm... Do the p7's sound like p5's? I'm looking at a graph... I personally prefer a little more mids than that, but it looks great.

I haven't heard the P5s more than a couple minutes at Best Buy. I don't think they sound much like the P7. There are a few threads comparing different closed cans and the P7 is always right up there. I tried 4 or 5 different pairs and every time kept the P7. I'm tempted to try the NAD HP50 as it get compared to the P7 quite often.

May 16, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #5,517 of 6,987
this is so wrong for so many different reasons. you're probably mistaking "underground" with "guy with a laptop in his room producing half assed happy hardcore tracks"
well, you sir have zero right to say that. Its all opinion. Have you listened to a single track I suggested before stating this rather strange comment?

May 16, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #5,518 of 6,987
Its ok if all you listen to is major releases, but you are missing out on a lot of fantastic guys. Half assed? Omnitica? He produces wonderful orchestral progstep pieces that blow my mind.

May 16, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #5,519 of 6,987

A lot of underground artists are underground for one reason: Their tracks are almost always free downloads.

this is so wrong for so many different reasons. you're probably mistaking "underground" with "guy with a laptop in his room producing half assed happy hardcore tracks"

Popularity, obscurity, neither is an assurance of quality or there lack of. I know several people who are very highly regarded in their particular field and offer all or most of their work for free so indie/underground artists are not the only people around making music just for the love for it. Also a lot of people actually typically don't have any other gear in this day and age than a laptop. If you have talent and skill, you don't "need" more to be able to create very high quality music. It's not the tools, it's how you use 'em.

06R's "Look Human Feel Human EP" is one of Nueva's most satisfying packages in a while. Nhato is killing it as always with his remix. Sadly I couldn't find any of the other mixes on YouTube to share with you folks. I have a soft spot for the breaks mix; it hits all the right buttons for me.

May 16, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #5,520 of 6,987
well, you sir have zero right to say that. Its all opinion. Have you listened to a single track I suggested before stating this rather strange comment?

I dismissed your comment, and then you dismissed mine by saying I have no rights to state something, doing exactly what you accuse me of having no rights to do/say.

I find it quite amusing.

Admittedly I should've presented my argument with some solid evidence and more articulation, but I tend not to take seriously someone using terms such as "orchestral progstep".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back