Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
Nov 22, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #5,192 of 6,987

Which group/person is the MOST like Crystal Method out there? I *hate* much of what I hear in this thread, but have liked most CM stuff over the years. 

The Chemical Brothers and The Prodigy are the closest that I've heard, but they aren't very similar either.

Yeah, sorry I didn't respond jbarrentine, but it's kinda hard to find something quite like Crystal Method 
tongue.gif

triportsad.gif

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #5,195 of 6,987
  You're not wrong to think that.  A good majority of the EDM being put out these days is unoriginal, uninspiring, and soulless.  We do get some standouts though, and those are the pieces that were inspired, written, masterful pieces.  EDM and Electronic music in general has become oversaturated with mediocre releases, while Rap, which went largely silent for a while, had many good LPs this year.  I feel like 2014 will be a good year for Dance though 
smily_headphones1.gif

this is only partially true, seems to me you're not digging hard enough.

if you're referring to edm as the more commercialized stuff (avicii, tiesto, above and beyond and all that bandwagon) then yes, I can agree most of it is rather dull, uninspiring and soulles.

regarding electronic music, and specifically for industrial, techno and house, there's plenty of material to keep up with.

a good start would be to look for end of the year lists, such as

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1704

Or

http://www.littlewhiteearbuds.com/chart/lwes-top-10-albums-of-2012/

I have a few favourites in there, that i feel strongly enough to recommend, such as the Voices from the lake album (incredible release, i had to get bot the vinyl and cd) Shackleton - Music for the Quiet Hour (outstanding work as well), Vessel, Shed and Silent servant.

then you could dig deeper into the catalog of the labels releasing those records, and this is already something that would keep you busy for weeks.

i have plenty more to share in case any of these catch your interest

Nov 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #5,196 of 6,987
I know it's extremely unlikely, but if someone happens to know an artist similar to Lemm I am forever in your debt. I feel bad posting individual songs because the album works so much better when heard as a whole, but I don't think anyone has posted the entire Arkhē album on YouTube.

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #5,197 of 6,987
Can anyone point me in the direction of more music that sounds like this:

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #5,198 of 6,987

if you're referring to edm as the more commercialized stuff (avicii, tiesto, above and beyond and all that bandwagon) 

Jk, jk.  I honestly think that True is a good album (didn't like it, but I think Avicii went the whole mile on that one. Good for you, Tim Berg).  Tri-State and Group Therapy are MASTERPIECES, and both were released over two years ago, so they can't be "recent," I hope you're referring to the singles they put out on the Anjunabeats compilations.  I could see those being thought of as generic.  And I am digging hard enough.  Do you ever go to Beatport? Soundcloud? EDM.net sibling sites? Plenty of small and mid-tier artists are jumping on the big-room electro-banger bandwagon, or switching to Trap 
tongue.gif

Interesting stuff you sent over though.  I wish we heard things like that more often.   

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #5,199 of 6,987
For the darker sounds. SIMM - Visitor. I got the album on bandcamp and it's wonderful.

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #5,200 of 6,987

Jk, jk.  I honestly think that True is a good album (didn't like it, but I think Avicii went the whole mile on that one. Good for you, Tim Berg).  Tri-State and Group Therapy are MASTERPIECES, and both were released over two years ago, so they can't be "recent," I hope you're referring to the singles they put out on the Anjunabeats compilations.  I could see those being thought of as generic.  And I am digging hard enough.  Do you ever go to Beatport? Soundcloud? EDM.net sibling sites? Plenty of small and mid-tier artists are jumping on the big-room electro-banger bandwagon, or switching to Trap 
tongue.gif

Interesting stuff you sent over though.  I wish we heard things like that more often.   

I usually am hesitant to give my honest opinion, but since you have expressed an interest in different material (that requires some time to come through) I will do it here:

all the productions of those and similar artists are very much generic.

I don't want to start an argument here (and I *really* don't mean to offend anyone, considering that people tend to take it personally when someone gives a honest opinion/critic on their taste in music) but I would compare that whole scene to what the likes of justin bieber, one direction and similar artist are for pop music.

It sells, fills stadiums, but it doesn't held any sort of artistic merit. Is this because it's popular? **** no. I couldn't care less whether a particular artist sells a houndred or 1 million records, the music speaks for itself.

At the same time I'm not saying you shouldn't listen to what you like, of course, take this as an encouragement to search for new music, and new sources of music.
Someone said the same of what I used to listen years ago, and it pushed me to broaden my taste and discover new genres/artist.

I do use soundcloud mostly to download mixes and previews of upcoming releases, while I avoid beatport, for different reasons:

1 - some use shady practices in order to gain popularity, such as labels buying their own artist's music to make them reach beatport's top 10s, so that the user sees them more easily thus incrementing sales.

2 - too much of everything, without filters. there's a lot of good stuff on beatport, and a lot of crap too. this of course is valid for any shop-portal-website but the sheer amount of data there makes it  harder to find the good stuff, especially for someone without references.

3 - I like records. I have nothing against digital (in fact I do buy in that format, at times) but I very much prefer the physical format.
 it forces me to spend time with the music; sometime I would buy a record for the A side, but then after many listens I would listen to the B side, and maybe enjoy it and start to like it.
I'm often forced to leave that musical "comfort zone" which digital music has a habit of guiding us towards. 

Boomkat.com is a very nice shop with a wide range of genres, and they actually make the effort of writing up descriptions. 

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #5,201 of 6,987
Just got the email about a new (still untitled) Burial EP. HELL YES.

Also, in reference to the Crystal Method...closest you'll get is Chemical Brothers. Just go check out Big Beat in general (as a genre). That's what you're looking for.

Dec 2, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #5,202 of 6,987
Don't remember seeing this song in this thread so here you go.

Dec 5, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #5,203 of 6,987

Kyohei Akagawa - Abendrot / Anbruch
https://soundcloud.com/otographicmusic/sets/kyohei-akagawa-abendrot-anbruch

Kyohei Akagawa's new two-track EP dropped yesterday. Took me a few listens but now I'm starting to like it a whole lot. About as brilliant as his prior output I would say.

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #5,204 of 6,987
Great music all around. If you have planars, this will really bring out the bass capabilities.

Kryptic Minds - Can't Sleep (mini album mix)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijbcAsia2JY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back