Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.)
Jun 28, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #2,761 of 6,987
That's ridiculous that someone would call about the Airmotiv 5s. They produce a lot of bass sound but they don't rattle walls with it (it's actually why I returned my 6s, couldn't feel it).

I heard good things about the folded subs as well. I saw them at GC but didn't bother auditioning because they're passive subs (at least I think I'm right in saying they're passive). Most people seem to agree that passive is the way to go for overall best sound, but then you've got to buy more cables, power amps, etc. 

I really like the 'plug and play' actives for PA (especially if you want to haul them places).

Quote:

That's true. I have a hard time hearing the difference on most EDM recordings as well. I guess I just got into the habit of being the elitist music collector. I always bought lossless just to have it. I'll probably get his 320kbps/mp3 copies this time around though. It's not like I'll be resampling it anyways.

I'm in the process of moving out of my apartment. I hated living there. I have a pair of Emotiva Airmotiv5s, and the neighbor below me called the courtesy officer three times complaining about noise in the middle of the day. It wasn't even that loud! A dedicated sub would've gotten me evicted! Of course... this is upper-middleclass suburbia hell. Sometimes I miss the hood.

One of these days I'll head to guitar center and audition PAs. It's a lot of dough to drop at one time, so I want to make the decision with my ears like you did and not a spec sheet.

I've been told the CV folded horns were by far the best PA subs, but I've never heard them myself. Did you get a chance to audition those?

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #2,762 of 6,987
Quote:
That's ridiculous that someone would call about the Airmotiv 5s. They produce a lot of bass sound but they don't rattle walls with it (it's actually why I returned my 6s, couldn't feel it).

I heard good things about the folded subs as well. I saw them at GC but didn't bother auditioning because they're passive subs (at least I think I'm right in saying they're passive). Most people seem to agree that passive is the way to go for overall best sound, but then you've got to buy more cables, power amps, etc. 

I really like the 'plug and play' actives for PA (especially if you want to haul them places).

Yep. Oh well.

Passive is a bigger headache, and that's actually the main reason I haven't considered them either. I don't want another rack, set of cables, etc. etc.. Active is the best choice for mobile users. Less set up. More party.
cool.gif

edit-- I should probably contribute some music...

Jun 28, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #2,763 of 6,987
I plan on running a 4 rack mobile case including a Driverack, EQ, and conditioner. Along with my mobile controller and then my laptop stuffs. Simple enough I would think.

Flaten the speakers to the room, toss some EQ in the mix after that, and fire it up.

Jun 28, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #2,764 of 6,987
Quote:
I hate Ableton. I consider it more a performance instrument than a DAW. I've just never been able to enjoy anything I tried/did with it. 

Also Reason is pretty amazing. All of the Propellerhead products are fantastic.

My preferred DAW is Cubase...I've been wanting to try Logic and give Pro Tools another shot lately too though.

I plan to hit production fast and heavy again this time. With Omnisphere already on my computers I'm going to pick up a few more VSTs and a nicer DAW than Reaper and go to town.

Need to pick up another controller...Hmmm...First things first though...Gotta get my KW181 sub. :wink:

Quote:
That's interesting. I'm really interested in Ableton now...

haha! You must not live in an apartment. I've never heard of QSC before, but the KW181 looks bad ass though! Do you think they have a better product than the typical Cerwin Vega stuff?

I've been looking at the CV active product line lately. Might get a CVA-121 and a few CVA-28s if I start playing at more parties.

I've been using an older version of Ableton Live (version 7.something) for a bit of music production work and I find i prefer it to what I used to have in Reason (and from using it in school). I even prefer Ableton's drum system, especially cause it's better for layering samples (for things like snares and kicks). I would have agreed with you on Ableton being more of a performance tool until I used it, it is actually pretty nice for production and I prefer the way Ableton's "clips" and "scenes" work compared to Reason's sequencer. Of course, this is all my opinion.

Jun 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #2,765 of 6,987
Of course. I know plenty that love it as a DAW...I just haven't been able to get into it. 

As I said, Cubase is my choice. Everyone has a favorite.

Quote:

I've been using an older version of Ableton Live (version 7.something) for a bit of music production work and I find i prefer it to what I used to have in Reason (and from using it in school). I even prefer Ableton's drum system, especially cause it's better for layering samples (for things like snares and kicks). I would have agreed with you on Ableton being more of a performance tool until I used it, it is actually pretty nice for production and I prefer the way Ableton's "clips" and "scenes" work compared to Reason's sequencer. Of course, this is all my opinion.

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #2,766 of 6,987
My GusGus-Forever album arrived today!

My friend gave a really bad rip of it so I hunted the CD down and bought it.

The entire album rocks but I especially like track 2: "You'll never Change"

Jun 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #2,768 of 6,987
Quote:

That's true. I have a hard time hearing the difference on most EDM recordings as well. I got into the habit of being the elitist music collector. I always bought lossless just to have it, but this time, I'll probably get his 320kbps/mp3 copies. It's not like I'll be resampling it anyways.

That's how I feel about it.  I'm not just buying music to listen to now, I'm building an archive.  You can always sample down, but not up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back