Electronic component stores?
Jan 8, 2005 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Okkler

New Head-Fier
So heres my problem: I dont like ordering from online electronic component stores such as DigiKey etc and having to pay shipping, hit a minimum order to avoid a handling fee, and not being able to see exactly what Im getting short of a picture or a drawing. I also dont like going to Radio Shack, which is the only real store I know of which sells electronic components, and paying retail price for a sparse selection of low quality stuff.

So my question is this: are there any real stores out there which sell brand name electronic components which I can buy from a real person for electronics experiments as well as DIY amp projects and if they exist, how would I go about finding these stores?

Its going to be a problem considering I live in the suburbs of Atlanta, GA but Im willing to make a trip if there is something promising.

As always, thanks in advance for any help and replies.

Jan 8, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 20
This may come with the territory of this hobby.

In California we have many Fry's stores, of legendary fame that back in the day, you could push a shopping cart down the aisle, grabbing PC components, and build your own computer. They still excel at this, and I was getting bare drives this Fall at 35 cents a GB, but it's now generally cheaper to strip the loser parts out of a barebones Dell server, upgrading what matters, to get a killer machine for $600. For the same machine one now spends more starting from scratch at Fry's.

Fry's has a much better electronics component selection than RadioShack, but it's still better suited to building charger circuits than high end audio. Moreover, I have yet to see them restock anything that I buy.

It would be fun to hear from anyone anywhere in the planet who can shop "in town" for all the parts needed for, say, a decent PIMETA. I think mail order is here to stay, get used to it.

On the up side, all these companies have great real people who will chat on the phone. Skip "live help" on web sites; they swear they're staffed by real people, but I think they're speed reading like a short order cook with 50 orders working, and clicking on buttons that generate stock replies. They're generally dumber than the AI shrink program "Eliza" from 30 years ago.

Jan 9, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 20
i *could* build up a very decent pimeta using local sources. im lucky enuff to have an rs trade counter 20 minutes drive from my house. so id build it with say opa637's, opa627, buf's, panasonic fc's, blue velvet, welwyn rc55y resistors, and a nice enclosure. but i dont want to coz its _really_ expensive that way. i wish the welwyns werent so pricey tho
frown.gif

Jan 9, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 20
Here is Ottawa, there are a number of electronic component stores available with a very large floor space, but none come close to having the number of components available such as Digi-Key does. It simply would take thousands of square feet to duplicate there selection. Internet/Mail-order is the only way and will be the only way to get the compnents. Having a DIY audio component store would quickly bankrupt simple becuase there are not enough costumers available in any city.

I know i pointed out the obvious but I guess this is all i can say on the subject.

Jan 9, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by d00dz
Here is Ottawa, there are a number of electronic component stores available with a very large floor space.

Thats exactly what Im looking for near Atlanta but I dont know how theyre listed in the yellow pages or how else to go about finding them.

Jan 9, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 20
Other than the peeps I see posting out of Canada (Toronto in particular, it seems), I don't see much indicating any such stores exist any more. I think maybe 10-20 years ago you could find stores that actually have a decent selection of stuff (or any "real" electronics parts), but not anymore. I live in the far west suburbs of Chicago, and I mail order. I know there are some places other than RadioShack, such as Tri State Electronics, Triode, etc. in town (downtown or north), but...

I was thrilled (Californians will probably laff their a**ses off when they see this) when I found we had a new Fry's not too far from me in Downers Grove. I went their (a couple of times) and my 14 year old commented that "gee, Dad looks like he's in a toy store". Hehe. At least I could go buy a Weller/Hakko iron or a scope or something there, and decent test leads, etc. Parts aren't too hot, but beat ratshack by a mile.

Jan 9, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 20
What stuns me is that there's nothing even in Fry's league in New York City, where I live half the time. You'd be amazed the different food ingredients one can find in the boroughs, e.g. I've scouted all four Chinatowns. In contrast, going to RadioShack feels like going to McDonalds.

Jan 9, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 20
jamont,

This store was more than I expected to find. Thanks so much for the link
biggrin.gif

When I get some money to spend, Ill plan a trip to Ack Electronics and see what they have to offer.

We also have a Fry's in Duluth. Its about 1.5 hours away so going there wouldnt be cost effective vs the online guys, but it might be fun to make the trip and see more of the state.

Jan 9, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 20
I have been looking for similar places here in Columbus, Ohio. I know of a few places in Dayton, but thats too far. If anyone knows anywhere let me know.

I would think a city like Atlanta would have to have at least a few options.

I think this board could use a nice list of stores that members could contribute to. Anyone want to start it? Maybe I will make up a little database and webpage to keep track of it all. What do you think?

Jan 10, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 20
You, along with anybody else having troubles can use googles Locals search:

http://local.google.com/

Just type in "electronic components" and "Atlanta, GA" (Or anything else) and a number of sources should pop-up.

Jan 10, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #13 of 20
Ack Radio has a lot, but not THAT much.

NO ONE has TLEs in Birmingham, and it really irks me that I can buy everything I need for pretty much any amp build... EXCEPT the TLEs, opamps and buffers.

I kinda wish Tangent would carry TLEs... *hinthint*
icon10.gif

Jan 10, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
I have been looking for similar places here in Columbus, Ohio. I know of a few places in Dayton, but thats too far. If anyone knows anywhere let me know.

I would think a city like Atlanta would have to have at least a few options.

I think this board could use a nice list of stores that members could contribute to. Anyone want to start it? Maybe I will make up a little database and webpage to keep track of it all. What do you think?

Maybe a sticky in which everyone posts pics and reviews of local electronic component stores theyve been to? Im sure that would be a big help to many people.

Jan 10, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Okkler
Maybe a sticky in which everyone posts pics and reviews of local electronic component stores theyve been to? Im sure that would be a big help to many people.

I thought about starting a thread and creating a list based on peoples posts. I think it might be nicer to have a webpage where people enter the stores and post comments about them. That way it would be automatically sorted and stuff. I will put something together this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back