Electrocompaniet ECD-1 Impression/Appreciation thread!
Jul 18, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #16 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mod costs a lot more than the DAC itself!
tongue.gif

True, but when you get the DAC used, and then you add in the cost of the mod, what you end up with, IMO, competes with anything below $5000, and maybe higher.

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #17 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, but when you get the DAC used, and then you add in the cost of the mod, what you end up with, IMO, competes with anything below $5000, and maybe higher.

Can you offer us a brief comparison of the before/after modded ECD1?
tongue.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #19 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by WiredCon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@The Monkey, you beat me on the Dodson Dac last week. Even with its age, Dodson had an edge against ECD-1. Well, it should when you consider its new retail price tag.

Also, you might wanna consider doing the cryo treament on your ECD-1 for it will certainly lower the noise floor a bit.

WiredCon, I'm liking the Dodson a lot. Perhaps more than the ECD-1.

Jul 18, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #20 of 65
I'm interested in the mod itself...any details on what was done to the base unit or link to a page that gives some info perhaps Phils ?

Looks like a real nice DAC MB403 ! There is some terrific quality gear in the under 2K bracket these days.

Peete.

Jul 18, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #21 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, can't read that page; I don't speak moon-man.

Hard for me to guess, since you do not let us know where you reside (ex. Location in the profile).
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #26 of 65
Also a former owner. I sold it after I got my L3000 to buy the matching DHA3000. I thought some of my problems with the L3000 were original due to the Mapletree amp I had at the time. It sounds like the extra bass hump the ECD-1 gives was not needed in the L3000. It could have also been a bit too lush for the already full headphones. I did miss some of that lushness when I switched over to the DHA3000, but I think that it gives them the clearer sound signature they need.

I was very happy with ECD-1 and my PS-1 though. If it is was giving extra bass, I was able to balance it by changing tubes on my amp. The PS-1 are very clear and refined so the musical lushness probably balanced them out. It's all about synergy.

Jul 19, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #27 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested in the mod itself...any details on what was done to the base unit or link to a page that gives some info perhaps.

It looks like Empirical Audio changed their site, and it no longer contains a description of what the mod entails. I have it somewhere, I think, but I'm not sure I can put my hands on it that easy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you offer us a brief comparison of the before/after modded ECD1?
tongue.gif

Here's a review I posted of the mod a while back.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/ele...-audio-118542/

Jul 19, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #28 of 65
Current owner. I have got a feeling that the ECD-1 balances out the K1000 very nicely, regarding bass and treble energy. And sure, it sounds like a small wonder! On the other hand, I feel something is missing. Can't blame the DAC when I have a semiworking receiver as the amp. But I strongly feel the ECD-1 won't be the terminal point for me.

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #29 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't blame the DAC when I have a semiworking receiver as the amp.

Ooooh, that's just not right. That's like putting ketchup on a good steak, or something like that. I'm sure the receiver can't do justice to the ECD-1.

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #30 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Love my ECD-1! I also got mine used. And then had it modded by Steve Nugent, which even took it to another level. Congrats moonboy403.

Let me know if you ever sell your modded ECD1.
I have been wanting to try a modded one.
There was one on Audiogon 3 months ago, but the seller wouldn't ship to Canada.

Former ECD1 owner here. Very romantic sounding DAC. Sounded exceptional with female vocals and jazz horns. The entire frequency range carried tube-like euphonics which may have also been why it sounded congested at times.
(I didn't notice the congestion when I owned the DAC in fact, but what The_Monkey said makes a lot of sense)
What I did notice: The DAC felt centered more on the bass end of the frequency spectrum. The low end was solid and rich with texture, but the highs had less texture comparatively and were a more scattered in the soundstage. (maybe the instrument placement itself was a bit off in general, just easier to notice in the highs)
The DAC did give one hell of a first impression though. It throws a nice warm soundstage and has sweet mids. I listened to it in a treated room with some Blue Sky monitors and was blown away.
Also has great synergy with the Beyer DT880.

Enjoy it. At that price its very very hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back