Electrocompaniet ECD-1 Impression/Appreciation thread!
Jul 15, 2009 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

moonboy403

Headphoneus Supremus
I just received my used ECD-1 about half an hour ago. I hooked it up to the Phoenix with RCAs and listened to a few songs. I was stunned and the Phoenix and ECD1 aren't even warmed up yet!

First of all, the build quality of the ECD1 is very solid. It weighs about 15lbs and it's as big as putting 3 Paradisea side by side.

After listening for close to 20 mins now, I could tell that my previous DAC, Paradisea 3(with Bendix 2c51), sounds like a toy in comparison. The ECD-1 handles busy passages with ease while the Paradisea will turn them to mush(relatively speaking). Moreover, the ECD-1 offers greater clarity, ambiance retrieval, deeper and much more impactful bass which comes off as a little dark sounding, a more enveloping and slightly bigger and soundstage with superior imaging, much better dynamics, and though its mids aren't as smooth and soothing as the Paradisea, its definitely more lifelike IMO.

However, do note that there's a $1400 retail price difference between these two DACs. I got my Paradisea for about $500 used and ECD1 for $1000. So the price difference shrunk to about $500 for me.

Enough about my ECD1, all you other owners should come forward and post in this appreciation thread.
L3000.gif

dscf3979.jpg

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 65
Former ECD-1 owner here. My travels have taken me elsewhere since, but I loved it while I owned it. Solid build quality, beautiful sound, and a very attractive piece of metal and glass.

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 65
Former ECD-1 owner here as well. Sold it last summer after spending two years with it.
Like everything from Electrocompaniet it is solid built, looks quite nice and put out a spectacular sound. Dynamic, detailed, controlled, ...

Highly recommended piece of electronic!
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 65
I'm already starting to regret that I let go of this dac...Do note that after the cryo treatment, it got noticeably more quiet than stock form.

I only preferred Bel Canto CD-2/Dac3 combo over ECD-1/CD-2 in my system for more extended highs and a bit more sharp imaging that made me feel like it was more "realisitc" sounding than big and lush sound from ECD-1/CD-2.

I do miss that sorta rounded "pounding" bass impact from ECD though. It is so much fun to listen to.

Sigh... what have I done...

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 65
I bought mine from WiredCon for $1000.
tongue.gif

I don't see any authorized online dealer in the US, but I found a few UK dealers via Electrocompaniet's website. Here's the ECD1 which goes for around $2000 before shipping.

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #9 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where is it sold?

I bought mine here: dynaBel AS

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #11 of 65
The ECD-1 is a very satisfying DAC. The mids are really sweet and the bass has a pleasing hump to it. While it's not the last word in detail, the mids/bass make for a very fun and musical presentation. I wish the noise floor were a bit lower and the ECD-1's romantic presentation makes for a slightly slower pacing that can lead to some congestion. Overall, though, it is a fine DAC, especially with a can or amp that could use a touch of warmth. For around $1k used, it is far FAR better than a lot of the crap that people are buying new.

@Andrew_WOT, I am also interested in the Ambrahamsen, but it does not appear that it is being distributed in or to the US at the moment.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #12 of 65
@The Monkey, you beat me on the Dodson Dac last week. Even with its age, Dodson had an edge against ECD-1. Well, it should when you consider its new retail price tag.

Also, you might wanna consider doing the cryo treament on your ECD-1 for it will certainly lower the noise floor a bit.

Jul 18, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #14 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Enough about my ECD1, all you other owners should come forward and post in this appreciation thread.
L3000.gif

Love my ECD-1! I also got mine used. And then had it modded by Steve Nugent, which even took it to another level. Congrats moonboy403.

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #15 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Love my ECD-1! I also got mine used. And then had it modded by Steve Nugent, which even took it to another level. Congrats moonboy403.

The mod costs a lot more than the DAC itself!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back