electrical engineers: Why do cables improve sound?
Oct 5, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #406 of 602
So, this seems to be the point where night and day differences become almost ridicuosly thin.

Quote:

Music is meaningful and evocative of inner states, sensations and feelings like impact, hairs standing up, excitement, involvement, sadness, etc. People listening to music, especially whole extended passages and works, can discern difference in what is communicated or evoked in addition to discerning the uninterpreted sound only

Cables do not transport emotions, but electricity. Emotions are inside your (and my) head. If this was about emotions, a mono cassette recorder would do.

Oct 5, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #408 of 602
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline
I think science is underestimating nature again and the ears are more capable then they thought they would be!
blink.gif
wink.gif

There's considerable irony in you saying that your ability to listen might be underestimated.

See ya
Steve

Oct 5, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #409 of 602
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
Not all recording engineers are skeptics, just see this thread: http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/ind...sg/9441/0/0/0/

Also see An engineer's view of power cables.

They are afraid to admit to other engineers and lose their jobs

Patrick, the first thread had people who know what they're talking about in it and people who don't... just like any other internet forum, including this one.

Secondly, the engineer giving the testimonial to the high end audio website isn't a recording engineer. He manufactures power line bushings. He doesn't know the first thing about pro grade audio.

Thirdly, no engineer is afraid to admit they found a way to improve sound. Their job is to achieve the best possible sound and they are willing to go to great lengths to accomplish that. If cables really made a difference, high end cabling would have been standard in recording studios across the country long ago.

This really isn't an issue in pro audio circles. All of the engineers I've spoken to on the subject have the same "been there- done that" dismissal for high end cables. They make their own cables because they can get huge spindles and save money over buying Radio Shack interconnects. That is the truth.

The only people you hear talking about the importance of cabling are stereo store salesmen, advertorials in stereo magazines, cable manufacurers' sales literature and consumers who listen to and believe stereo store salesmen, advertorials and sales literature.

See ya
Steve

Oct 5, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #410 of 602
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun
So, this seems to be the point where night and day differences become almost ridicuosly thin.

Cables do not transport emotions, but electricity. Emotions are inside your (and my) head. If this was about emotions, a mono cassette recorder would do.

One of the things it is about is the DIFFERENCE between what one cable and another makes in these responses transmitting the same music, that is, subtler indicators of differing perceptions that may not be conscious or only mental but partly physical. You have to read what I wrote with such a tendenciousness of not wishing to understand to miss this. This could of course be like a bias preventing the hearing of cable differences.

I agree that claims of "night and day" are highly overblown in almost all cases of cable comparison, but differences that affect the meaning and impact of the music on one would surely be significant. Again, you just have to be so blindly into a gotcha mode not to understand that this is a meaningful possiblilty at least in theory.

Oct 5, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #411 of 602
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
There's considerable irony in you saying that your ability to listen might be underestimated.

See ya
Steve

Irony, my friend, is not transported by cables but made up in your head.
eggosmile.gif
unless you rule out the cables that transport the signals to your brains.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #412 of 602
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riboge
One of the things it is about is the DIFFERENCE between what one cable and another makes in these responses transmitting the same music, that is, subtler indicators of differing perceptions that may not be conscious or only mental but partly physical.

If we can't perceive a sound consciously... or if we are perceiving it mostly mentally, rather than physically using our ears, what the heck is the point? You're describing exactly what we are saying... that there is no perceivable difference except for placebo.

See ya
Steve

Oct 5, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #413 of 602
Quote:

Irony, my friend, is not transported by cables but made up in your head.
eggosmile.gif
unless you rule out the cables that transport the signals to your brains.
rolleyes.gif

I always try to use my brain... What about you?

See ya
Steve

Oct 5, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #414 of 602
Quote:

This really isn't an issue in pro audio circles. All of the engineers I've spoken to on the subject have the same "been there- done that" dismissal for high end cables. They make their own cables because they can get huge spindles and save money over buying Radio Shack interconnects. That is the truth.

The only people you hear talking about the importance of cabling are stereo store salesmen, advertorials in stereo magazines, cable manufacurers' sales literature and consumers who listen to and believe stereo store salesmen, advertorials and sales literature.

I rather believe a store salesman who has tried the cables than a recording engineer who hasn't.

There are loads of people who think they know everything but they don't.
When pictures of new hardware are released many people think they are fake because they are blind and can't see properly, see this and this, they see what they want to see to have a chance to boost up their ego and brag that they do Photoshop for a living. Someone has even accused my videos of being fake because he was a "Master video faker". Skeptics are cherry picking pieces of the same puzzle and when they add them together it appears to be the truth to them, but they are never seeing the big picture.

Recording engineers don't want cables to make a difference because they want to believe they are getting the best sound from their gear and can brag about it. The longer they continue with that the stronger their belief becomes and eventually they are lost forever and can't learn anything new other than something that further strengthens their belief.

Oct 5, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #415 of 602
Patrick, may I ask you how old you are?

Thanks
Steve

Oct 5, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #417 of 602
Quote:

Keep on trying. maybe you'll succeed in actually using your brain someday.

Has it completely devolved to second grade name-calling? Come on, we're talking about cables. Be civil.

Oct 5, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #418 of 602
Quote:

Patrick, may I ask you how old you are?

Thanks
Steve

23. An open-minded person would have looked in my profile first... See what I wrote about cherry picking pieces of the puzzle. How can you know cables make a difference if you choose to ignore it when you turn on music?

The ones with the crappiest systems don't really hear what comes out of their systems, they ignore it and use their imagination instead. Who's having the placebo?

Oct 5, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #419 of 602
Quote:

If we can't perceive a sound consciously... or if we are perceiving it mostly mentally, rather than physically using our ears, what the heck is the point? You're describing exactly what we are saying... that there is no perceivable difference except for placebo.

See ya
Steve

I of course didn't say that. I didn't say the perception was mental but rather that the effect of the perception was physical as well as mental. Most of what is perceived as well as the rest of what is physical is not conscious. The physical and mental effects are in fact not distinct and certainly not opposite and obviously all begin "physically using our ears". What I was saying is that there might be a perception that is not consciously noted in the mind which nonetheless evokes different meaning or emotional responses the difference in which between two cables playing the same music might be the way one realizes the difference the cables make. Now let's see you deliberately misread and misunderstand that.

This is presented to and for others who might gain something from what I have presented if not muddied by your deliberate mischaracterizations.

Oct 5, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #420 of 602
Quote:

Thirdly, no engineer is afraid to admit they found a way to improve sound. Their job is to achieve the best possible sound and they are willing to go to great lengths to accomplish that. If cables really made a difference, high end cabling would have been standard in recording studios across the country long ago.

See ya
Steve

In fact there are a bunch of recording studio's that use high end equipment like mark levinson, krell and the likes. Are these rare studio's producing those really rare good sounding cd's?!
eggosmile.gif

99% of the recordings sound like crap; maybe because of the radio shack cables?!

And no, i don't believe every engineer wants the best sound, most or at least the boss(record company) wants easy money and spend less time in a record studio as possible! They spend instead more money on advertising the bad recordings. This is becomming more commen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back