ELAC Discovery Music Server
Jul 28, 2017 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jarnopp

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm surprised there isn't a thread, or even a word, about this device. I've heard great things about Roon for a long time. Since I've decided to stop buying multiple CDs a week and go with a Tidal HiFi subscription, this device with built in Roon Essentials (included lifetime with the device) and Tidal integration seemed like it was worth a try.

All the specs and info is here: https://www.elac.com/product/elac-discovery-music-server/?r=us

and a couple of screen shots:
DiscoverySERVER_gallery_2-750x579.jpg

Discovery-Back-2-750x532.jpg

I've been using with an Apple TV and Apple Airport Express while I wait for the Chord Poly, which I hope will take the sound up a notch and increase portability. I will say, the overall experience so far has been fantastic. The new Roon 1.3 software was released the day before my unit arrived, so all my experience has been with that.

I will wait to do a complete review until after getting the Poly and living with that for a while. I have not used the built-in dac or digital outs at all, as the Elac is in my router closet.

Looking forward to starting a thread about this for others who have one or are interested.

Jul 28, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 4
i was quite intrested n this device aswell , seemed a good bargian but i remember reading that it has a roon light edition or something (cant remember) but looking forward to your thoughts and if you can test out the DAC as well would be awesome.

Jul 28, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 4
I have not tried "full" Roon, but the "Roon Essentials" software seems pretty comprehensive. There are a few features missing (like the signal path display) and a limit on 30,000 tracks in the library, but I have fewer than half that and if mostly will be streaming from Tidal going forward. It shouldn't be a big issue. Also, there is a 192kHz limit, I think. But, again, Tidal HiFi and most of the rest of my collection is lossless or uncompressed CD quality rips.

I also don't know how the remote apps (for iPhone, iPad and Mac) work with Roon, but the Roon Essentials versions are fantastic.

Nov 16, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 4
I'm surprised there isn't a thread, or even a word, about this device. I've heard great things about Roon for a long time. Since I've decided to stop buying multiple CDs a week and go with a Tidal HiFi subscription, this device with built in Roon Essentials (included lifetime with the device) and Tidal integration seemed like it was worth a try.

All the specs and info is here: https://www.elac.com/product/elac-discovery-music-server/?r=us

and a couple of screen shots:
DiscoverySERVER_gallery_2-750x579.jpg

Discovery-Back-2-750x532.jpg

I've been using with an Apple TV and Apple Airport Express while I wait for the Chord Poly, which I hope will take the sound up a notch and increase portability. I will say, the overall experience so far has been fantastic. The new Roon 1.3 software was released the day before my unit arrived, so all my experience has been with that.

I will wait to do a complete review until after getting the Poly and living with that for a while. I have not used the built-in dac or digital outs at all, as the Elac is in my router closet.

Looking forward to starting a thread about this for others who have one or are interested.

ok, so this thread never took off. I have to say, neither did the Elac Discovery either. I have recently switched to Roon ROCK, which I highly recommend. Luckily I can use the Discovery as a Roon endpoint. But, it just did not keep up with the progress Roon itself was making and the lifetime Roon subscription, with a Roon Rock device is now (IMHO) a better value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back