Eichmann Bullets Is There a Trick to Using Them?
Sep 17, 2008 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

edstrelow

Headphoneus Supremus
For those not in the know, the Eichmann bullet is an RCA connector which gets rid of the outer ground connector for a single small contact point. The rest of what would be the outer ground is just some form of plastic.

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=2&gl=us

I got my first set of these with a pair of used silver cables. I had no idea how much of the quality I heard was the bullets versus the cable but I got few more bullet-terminated cables and have liked them all a great deal.

The theory of them has something to do with eliminating eddy currents in the ground. Again no idea if this is the true story or not but it did occur to me that when inserted in many RCA sockets you may not be getting the full benefit of this approach because the small contact (which looks like a small ball bearing) not only presses on the outer part of the socket (as it should), but also sticks out slightly ahead and therefore can in most of my set-ups make contact twice, in 2 spots 90 degrees apart. In some cases the contact is even grounding on the case of the component.

This could even happen with some conventional RCA plugs.

So I thought, there's a simple solution, just pull the bullet plug back a millimeter or so such that it no longer contacts anything in front, just makes contact with the ground on the socket.

And it seems to make the sound better, cleaner, more distinct.

BTW if you have these plugs and don't hear anything different feel free to say so. But if you don't even have these plugs, don't waste everyone's time with your uninformed claims that it can't possibly make a difference.

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 13
All of my RCA jacks are long (hard to describe, but they are just not short and stubby). I have a set of silver IC's with Eichmann Silver Bullets, and I know what you're talking about with the little pin thingie, but don't have the contact issue you have. That's a good point though...you wouldn't want the ground in contact with the chassis, that's for sure.

As for sound quality, I really like these ICs...don't know if it's the bullets or the silver cabling and build quality, but they do have a "cleaner" sound than my previous ones...there seems to be more definition and clarity.

Sep 17, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've also just got 2 pairs of them. Looks nice.
I haven't tried to solder them yet but according to what you said, it looks complicated.

How big is the difference you heard?

All my Eichmann tipped cables are silver or silver/copper cables costing about $120.00-130.00/pair. By comparison the Monster Cables I had been using were about $95.00/pair and sound muffled, lacking in ambience and sparkle by comparison. I feel I got a very significant improvement in sound for a modest price.

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 13
Same here, Ed...

Sep 18, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #7 of 13
When I first saw them, they looked like no-bs connector, made of tough, sturdy plastic with a good conductor, but upon reading reviews, I'm under the impression that it's rather the opposite. People have been noting that it was rather fragile, and hard to get a good fit on the rca jack - it's claim to fame being it's patented single-point ground design.
What do you guys think about the build quality of these plugs?

Sep 18, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 13
The build quality is excellent, and people have mentioned the issue with the fit, but they fit fine on all of my RCAs, so I don't get it. They fit 10X better than my old Monsters, that had that "turbine" look to them...those were so friggin' tight they'd pull RCA jacks apart. I believe the tightness issue with the Eichmanns was more with the older ones...the ones I have are new, and they have a bit of give to them. They ARE tight, but they expand a bit when you put them on. My RCA jacks are solid, so they don't have issues with coming apart.

The one thing I think that may be a problem with the Eichs is that since they are plastic (and this is a bonus IMO, since they would be non-conductive and wouldn't act like an antenna for RF), they are hard to work with when it comes to soldering them.

Sep 19, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 13
I suspect their reputation for being fragile comes about from the DIY's who do their own cable work. I could imagine these are a bit harder to work with than regular RCA's.

My three sets were ready made. I have had no problems of fit or breakage and one set was used when I got them.

I also have some MC plugs which are a bitch to get on and off and could potentially damage a socket because they are so tight.

Sep 19, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #11 of 13
2 tips I picked up about using these:

1. When soldering, fit the bullet onto a dummy RCA jack. It will act as a heatsink should you keep teh heat on a bit long.

2. Before you go soldering, heat the end of the whole bullet pug with a hairdryer for a while and then fit it up onto the RCA jack. Leave and allow to cool and then solder as above. Good fit guaranteed and not too tight. (This will work if you already ahve made some cables and they are too tight)

Watch some of those bulk deals on ebay for RCA jacks. They can have fairly big tolerances on the RCA diameter - best off spending a few quid extra on those I think.

Fran

Oct 10, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2 tips I picked up about using these:

1. When soldering, fit the bullet onto a dummy RCA jack. It will act as a heatsink should you keep teh heat on a bit long.

2. Before you go soldering, heat the end of the whole bullet pug with a hairdryer for a while and then fit it up onto the RCA jack. Leave and allow to cool and then solder as above. Good fit guaranteed and not too tight. (This will work if you already ahve made some cables and they are too tight)

Watch some of those bulk deals on ebay for RCA jacks. They can have fairly big tolerances on the RCA diameter - best off spending a few quid extra on those I think.

Fran

heh... I see you read the packet LOL ;P but it is a very good tip especially the heatsink one. I dont have any problems with fit so havent used the hairdryer 'MOD' but I have used the same technique when bending thick and short solid core cables (mainly LOD's) into ,place once its done they will set in that shape and there will be no stress put on the jack, cable or connector

Oct 10, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #13 of 13
hah, was it on the packet!!! Couldn't remember where I read it, but I remembered doing on several sets of cables I terminated with eichmanns.

BTW, I don't think they are the best for a situation where a plug is being inserted and removed repeatedly - I do think a locking or metal plug might be better in that case.

Fran

Users who are viewing this thread

Back