Eggos too loud!
Apr 27, 2003 at 3:30 AM Post #31 of 48
IMO, the eggos are kinda thin and lifeless. Not good rock phones IMO. For what you described the Grados would suit you perfectly.. except for the fact that they leak a lot.

Apr 27, 2003 at 3:39 AM Post #32 of 48
The cheesey crossfeed on the Total Airhead usually gives my Eggo's that extra-whatever-it's-missing and makes me smile. Good luck to the rest of you.

Apr 27, 2003 at 3:53 AM Post #33 of 48
I hate I hate I hate I HATE it when newbies ask for closed headphone recommendations, where they want some real isolation, and get tons of praises for the d66. "Good in not very noisy environments" ain't good enough. Oh, they leak less than open headphones like the KSC-35, well I would hope so!
tongue.gif

Seriously people, stop recommending these for such uses...this isn't directed at anyone in particular I've just seen this happen too much.

Apr 27, 2003 at 4:05 AM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by DsLFoolisH
well, to my knowledge, the eggos dont isolate at all. BUT, they dont leak, so they wont bother people.

right?

They're semi-isolating. They're CLOSED, but with a VENT to allow sound from the outside and air cooling. This IS NOT the same thing as an OPEN phone. The eggos are closed. CLOSED and ISOLATING are thus NOT THE SAME THING.

Apr 27, 2003 at 4:54 AM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by impoeticpoet
doesn't matter if they're closed or not, only if they would suit that purpose.

Yes, right. But the fact that they're CLOSED gives them a certain sound quality characteristic of closed phones. The fact that they're VENTED allows SOME sound to intrude (for your safety) as well as a little air for ventilation. I happen to think that the vent is TOO pervious to sound, and I have added some cotton to the chamber, which absorbs the bulk of it. This modification is not that difficult for anyone to perform, and it removes the objection you have brought forward.

Apr 27, 2003 at 3:31 PM Post #38 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
I hate I hate I hate I HATE it when newbies ask for closed headphone recommendations, where they want some real isolation, and get tons of praises for the d66.

Seriously people, stop recommending these for such uses...this isn't directed at anyone in particular I've just seen this happen too much.

This was my point in starting this thread. D66 are not really a good phone for commuting and portable listening where there is any noise from the surrounding environment. They're great for a walk in the park or for your bedroom setup, but they are not a great commuter can.

Apr 27, 2003 at 8:24 PM Post #39 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by erikzen
This was my point in starting this thread. D66 are not really a good phone for commuting and portable listening where there is any noise from the surrounding environment. They're great for a walk in the park or for your bedroom setup, but they are not a great commuter can.

I disagree about the Eggos not being good for commuting. True, it's always nice to have ety type isolation. But is it safe if you're out and about, crossing roads and such? Of course not. Sometimes it's nice to have a portable headphone that doesn't offer ety-type isolation.

Often times too much isolation can make you a walking Darwin Award canidate.

It's all in what you need. I feel that the people who have their Eggos and are happy with em don't have much else to say, and the cyinics are coming out of the woodwork. That's fine, as we're not all ment to like the same gear.. it's just funny sometimes watch how personal it can get, complete with insightful posts such as "Eggos suck"
rolleyes.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 27, 2003 at 8:51 PM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by plainsong
it's just funny sometimes watch how personal it can get, complete with insightful posts such as "Eggos suck"
rolleyes.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Goes both ways with "Eggos rule"
rolleyes.gif

Apr 27, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #41 of 48
erikzen,
The eggos were designed for commuting. They are made for the japanese so that they can hear the train announcements. IMO, full isolation is not practical for commuting. I don't know about you but I wanna be able to hear that bus coming at me while I am crossing the street.
-Mag

Apr 27, 2003 at 8:54 PM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by plainsong
Often times too much isolation can make you a walking Darwin Award canidate.

Funny!
biggrin.gif

Actually, I prefer my PX200s for commuting both from an isolation and sound leakage point of view. They are also more functional than the Eggos as a portable 'phone. I don't dislike my Eggos. I'm impressed with the sound and enjoy them very much. I just don't think they're the ideal commuter can.

Apr 27, 2003 at 8:56 PM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by MagusG
erikzen,
The eggos were designed for commuting. They are made for the japanese so that they can hear the train announcements. IMO, full isolation is not practical for commuting. I don't know about you but I wanna be able to hear that bus coming at me while I am crossing the street.
-Mag

That very well may be. For me they are not the ideal commuting can. As I said, I prefer the PX200 for commuting. These provide more isolation without being dangerous and I find them more convenient. Eggos leak sound and that doesn't work for me? Do I listen too loud? Maybe, but I guess I listen louder than the average Japanese commuter.

Apr 27, 2003 at 9:03 PM Post #45 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by MagusG
erikzen,
-Mag

not me, sometime i try to kill myself on purpose

Users who are viewing this thread

Back