Effects of amp gain?
Nov 7, 2004 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Spadge

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm going to be getting a Xin SuperMacro when it is released. I'll be getting the 'extra features' version with the Gain switch. (5 or 15 gain).

I'm just wondering what deteimental effects (if any) would be heard by changing the gain from 5 to 15. Would it just be a case of more noise or is there more to it than that?

Thanks for the info.
Spadge

Nov 7, 2004 at 8:18 AM Post #2 of 7
Hey, why wait another week for the release. I don't think I can wait any longer myself.. Maybe tomorrow I'll order it.

As far as gain, you would be fine since you will get the gain switch.

At higher gain, yes all the background noises and hisses will be more audible. Another downside is that your volume knob will probably need to stay in low range, where a usual volume control sounds worst and least linear.

However, I asked Xin about this, and he said at the low gain setting you can roll in the usual opamps (627, 8610, etc), but that at the high gain setting, 637 can be rolled in b/c 637 needs higher gain. So I plan to experiment with op amps.

Only decision left for me is between the "standard" 8610 soldered on vs. socketed version. I really would like to experiment with op-amps, BUT the direct-mounted 8610 should (and is, per Xin and others) have better sound when compared to socketed 8610. Does direct-mounted 8610 sound better with Ety's than socketed 627/637?? Maybe Xin will answer on the Cooltalk forums.

Nov 7, 2004 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Only decision left for me is between the "standard" 8610 soldered on vs. socketed version. I really would like to experiment with op-amps, BUT the direct-mounted 8610 should (and is, per Xin and others) have better sound when compared to socketed 8610.

I doubt that there would be an audible difference, if everything is working properly (that is, no oscillation is taking place, etc). The extra socket and short amount of extra trace distance could in theory cause a marginal design to go into oscillation, but I would consider that a design issue, perhaps even a malfunction. Otherwise, that extra bit of socket is basically a drop in the bucket when compared to all the other interconnect cables, pots and contacts that the signal has to go through from your source to the headphone transducers.

Nov 7, 2004 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 7
That's what I wanted to hear
cool.gif
With my portable I don't think the default gain of 5 will be enough. 15 will be plenty though.

Nov 8, 2004 at 12:08 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferrari993000
i've tried amps with variable gain settings and heard very little, if not no difference in terms of sound quality and background noises.

There can be a significant difference in background noise between high and low gain amplifiers when they're used with low impedance, high sensitivity headphones. A great example is with Grados - they're so cotton-pickin' senstive that it's easy to hear plenty of background noise, even with my tired old ears.

Not only that, but you've got to have a light hand on the volume control!

-Drew

Nov 8, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 7
I'd suggest that you set the gain such that your normal listening level is at about 12:00 on the dial. This will give you all of the volume control that you could possibly want and minimize the effects of noise being added to the signal path from having the gain set too high. You can experiment with it. As I understand it (being a non technical type) it's just a matter of changing resistor values until you have it right (i.e., simple soldering skills will do the trick).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back