Effect of adhesive heatshrink on sound
Dec 21, 2008 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

slowpogo

500+ Head-Fier
For my last few projects I have used adhesive heatshrink on "air wired" stuff. Like on the wires soldered to a TKD pot, or RCA inputs. I still solder the wires in of course, but just so I know they will never break off I use the adhesive heatshrink on top of that.

It occurred to me that the adhesive becomes the "dielectric" around those solder terminals. I know the dielectric affects SQ in the signal path, so what effect do you think this heatshrink has on the sound overall, if any?

Dec 21, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

I know the dielectric affects SQ in the signal path, so what effect do you think this heatshrink has on the sound overall, if any?

I find that it has a stickier more rubbery sound, but the details are more tightly held together.

Dec 21, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 32
^I thought clear heatshrink would make it more "transparent"
atsmile.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 32
I look forward to the inevitable DIY tutorial on how to cryo and burn-in your clear adhesive heatshrink!

I'm pretty sure extensive listening tests will also prove it's directional too... you must slide the tubing on in the direction of the audio signal...

Dec 22, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #12 of 32
Wow, I still think it's a valid question. If teflon vs. cotton sounds different (and it does), then a slathering of rubbery adhesive will probably sound different than bare metal...anyway..uh, thanks...

Dec 22, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpogo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I still think it's a valid question. If teflon vs. cotton sounds different (and it does), then a slathering of rubbery adhesive will probably sound different than bare metal...anyway..uh, thanks...

The dielectric is usually a concern when factoring in the capacitance of a cable. This requires two conductors carrying different voltages and a high impedance signal at a close proximity.

If you're air-wiring a wire, this is usually not a concern...

I also remember reading a article that interviewed several well-known cable manufacturers about cable burn-in, and many of them noted that the wire dielectrics, being physical not only absorbs energy, but re-radiates it.
They also referred to the concept of piezoelectricity.

Although I personally don't believe cables make a difference in audio, I have built several cables anyways for the sake of having nice cables, and when I do, I apply the best of my knowledge into building an ideal cable as long as the concept/theory does not sacrifice practicality and cost.

The impedance after a pot is quite high, adhesive heatshrink is pretty thick and the pot pins are pretty close together. Regardless, a inch or so definitely won't matter but then again, solder joints are pretty strong and the mechanical strength inside a case is just as unimportant as the theoretical increase in capacitance due to the heatshrink.
I wouldn't bother worrying about it.. use whatever you have. It looks cleaner when the pins are heatshrinked over imo.

Dec 22, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm pretty sure extensive listening tests will also prove it's directional too... you must slide the tubing on in the direction of the audio signal...

I tried that but after a few cycles of swapping + and -, my arms got tired! alternating current: DAMN YOU!!

I could not tell the difference - I must need a better DAC or preamp, then.

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back