Effect audio and Toxic cables comparisons
Apr 21, 2022 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

danny334

New Head-Fier
I have an issue. I own 2 cables from Effect Audio - Lionheart and Ares II+
Both cables are distinctly way better than stock however due to the thickness the cables are plagued with breaks and I have to keep sending them back to Singapore for repairs. That's about £60 gbp a pop for postage. I've sent both cables about 4 times in total for repair. I think the cables are far thicker than the soldering joint so inevitably there will come a break.
Now I want to try someone local like Toxic cables so that I won't have to keep sending cables too far if there was a problem. Unfortunately the Toxic cable site makes no mention of the sound signatures of the cables. Also it would have been awesome if there was a shop that you could go and listen to them so you get a suitable one. It feels like a real gamble here as I have to decide based on someone's review rather than my ears. Hypothetically, If I buy eg a £500 cable and eventually found out the £1000 version is what I would have prefered I'd have to fork out twice what I've already spent. That makes it a very uneconomical investment, however if anyone has any of the Effects audio Ares/Lionheart and Toxic cables it'll be very helpful to hear some kind of comparisons so I can decide which Toxic cables to target.

I know this is a bit of a stretch but you never know!

May 20, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 4
Never heard toxic cables, so can't help with that, but I will comiserate with you and say that my Effect Audio Grandioso cable broke twice.

The first one frayed just distal to the 4.4 mm connector barrel. I then sent it to Asia for repair. Effect Audio charged me to replace it but upgraded to Black edition. Now, despite babying the Grandioso black, sound on one channel cuts out with no visible wire damage. I think you're right, their cables may not be soldered appropriately

May 20, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 4
You ever consider Dunu's cables? They're well made and have swappable terminations. I use a DUNU Blanche currently and love it.

Jun 13, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 4
I'll watch out for them but once again isn't that just another gamble if I can't get to listen to it anywhere? Is there a chance of them showing up at the Canjam? That'll be a great place for the opportunity to compare and make a decision. Is there any comparisons you can make between the Dunu and Effect audio cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back