EF2A or Little Dot?
Jun 25, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Also the company HRT makes a device called the iStreamer for the iPod, but I'm not sure if it is a DAC or not.  

It is.  Plus it is quite possibly the cheapest external DAC out there for iDevices.  I can't comment on it as I've never heard it, but there are many positive reviews out there for it.

Amazon Link.

On the note of the HiFiMAN EF2A vs. the LD, I can't comment much on either.  I have yet to hear an LD amp (want to though), but I am currently listening to the setup in my sig.  It is slightly forward with some punch.  Very good instrument separation.  Soundstage is not amazingly wide, but not narrow at all.  Mids are nice and a tad bit warm.  I enjoy using the E10's DAC moreso than the EF2A's DAC, however.  The built-in DAC of the EF2A is not really black (kinda grainy).  I can say it can be sibilant to my ears.  It does make everything much more punchier, but I prefer a black background and a warm sound, so the E10 was perfect. 

In your case, I think it would be best for you to go with the HRT iStreamer and whatever amp you choose.  The EF2A is a great amp and works nicely with my DT990s as well as my HD280 PRO.  I'd also go with what you can afford.  Another amp to check out (if your either in the budget for or are in the mood for some DYI) is the Bottlehead Crack, which is just pure goodness.  It is also said to work great with both Grado/Alessandro.

Hope that helps!
Destroysall

Jun 26, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #17 of 34
get the LD and then get an external amp :). I've heard the DAC in the EF2A isn't something to be desired. 

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #19 of 34
I had the EF2A. It was simply too loud for my Grado SR60's (and my Sennheiser HD580s, which run at 300 ohms), and as such I wouldn't recommend it. I currently own the Little Dot MKIII, and have been very happy with it for about 6 months now.

Jul 14, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #21 of 34
I would go for the Little Dot as it can power a lot of cans so its ok as far as future can purchases go and then grab aIpure dock. The DAC In the Ipure is OK and a great starting point to bypass the internal DAC in the IPod itself. Plus if you ever go with a full blown external DAC the Ipure has digital outs that bypass all and send the digital signal right to an outboard DAC.

I use an Ipure into a LittleDotII++ at my office and its really pretty darn nice sounding.

Jul 14, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #22 of 34
I don't have the LD1+ but I do have the MkIII and also an EF2a. Just comparing the amps I can say the MkIII is better in every way than the HiFiMan. Having said that however, the EF2a does not sound bad. I really liked it until I had the LD to compare it too.I would say the main thing to think about is, do yo need a dac or not? Even a relatively inexpensive dac is going to set you back 75-$100. Maybe just save your money for a bit until you can afford a Modi and a LD1+. You (and most others) would be real happy with that combo.

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:
Today I received my EF 2A and is pretty good with my HD 650. Much better that my Fiio E10

When I first got my EF2a it was a little harsh on the high end, but that smoothed right out as the tubes got burned-in, the bass tightened up quite a bit also. Just saying it will get quite a bit better once those tubes get broken in good.

Jul 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:
Also I am planing on buying the bifrost schiit DAC, do you think its a good complement?

I have the Bifrost with the "Uber" upgrade, its a nice piece and will scale up quite nicely with better amps. I think if you really want to upgrade your rig though you would be best off to start with a better amp IMO.

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #29 of 34
If sticking with the 650's then I would look into a Lyr, WA3 or a Crack, budget wise they are all fairly close. Oh and dont count out Little Dot, David makes some really nice sounding amps.

I have a WA2 and love it but it is quite a bit more expensive then the other ones mentioned.

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #30 of 34
The Bifrost is a bit of overkill for the EFA2, not that I am any expert or anything but I am using a Modi and a LD MKIII and the sound is tremendously good to me. So I'd agree with the others if you are going to start looking at dac's in the Bifrost price range you need to start looking at a better amp also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back