EF1 vs KICAS
Jan 23, 2009 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

GoHoos

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. First time poster, long time lurker.
I've finally decided to get a decent amp for my Denon D2000 and Senn HD650. Until now, I've been using my Denon stereo receiver which has done a decent job driving these cans.
After an exhaustive "research", I've narrowed down my choice to Head-Direct EF1 and Purity Audio KICAS (regular version). It seems these two amps offer a very good "bang for the buck" and also are versatile enough to drive both low and high impedance cans.
If you have experience with either one of these amps, I'd love to hear what you think of them, including some of the strengths and weaknesses that you've encountered using these amps. By the way, I listen to all kinds of music, and appreciate good clean low end.
Thanks so much!

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 19
this was exactly my delemma. three months ago i got pretty jazzed about kicas amp, the reviews sounded pretty good. so i went to buy it and they were out. then the ef1 went on sale. decided to buy the ef1. i really like it. the sound is amazing with my akg 701s, i gained the bass and power that i never realized was missing. before i was using a portable amp with a 24volt elpac. i suspect with the kicas i would get similiar gains in bass and power, but from what ive read the soundstage is not as large with the kicas. i like the wide soundstage of the ef1. i also like the ability to tweak the ef1 by modding the tube and op amp although so far i have yet to find something better than the stock config. i do like to sometimes put the mullard tube in when i use the grado 125 to smooth things out a bit.

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 19
bigD, I own the ef1 too, it would be nice if you would explain what tubes you have tried, and how they sounded, so i dont' waste my time/money on tubes that are not as good, I've been thinking of picking up a Mullard 12au7, but they are pricey.

Jun 10, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 19
I'd be interested if more people could do the comparison...

The main reason I went for the KICAS (caliente) is it's name "Keep it CLEAN and SIMPLE". I didn't want the fuss to mess around with PSU's, configurations, tubes or opamps. I loved the idea of a box that just does what it does. Being SS, the sound-stage is smaller (or so I've heard, I didn't get the chance to hear a tube amp, ever). The thing is, it's sturdy and easy, with an international PSU that's as small as my cellphone's charger.

But I have to say, reading the very slight comparison between the two amps, i slightly regret my decision. >:

Jun 11, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoHoos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone. First time poster, long time lurker.
I've finally decided to get a decent amp for my Denon D2000 and Senn HD650. Until now, I've been using my Denon stereo receiver which has done a decent job driving these cans.
After an exhaustive "research", I've narrowed down my choice to Head-Direct EF1 and Purity Audio KICAS (regular version). It seems these two amps offer a very good "bang for the buck" and also are versatile enough to drive both low and high impedance cans.
If you have experience with either one of these amps, I'd love to hear what you think of them, including some of the strengths and weaknesses that you've encountered using these amps. By the way, I listen to all kinds of music, and appreciate good clean low end.
Thanks so much!

It depends... if you want to "futz around" with tubes (which is not fun, nor inexpensive) get the EF-1... but... if you just want to listen to music... get the Caliente. And... if you're in North America... you may want to consider the proximity of the warranty support... or... the same could be said... if you're in SE Asia / South Pacific.

Some folks like to "futz around" with tubes... some don't.

Personally... if I can find a SS amp that has the warmth and richness of tubes, and the clarity, speed and detail of SS - I'm going to go SS (assuming a reasonable price - the GS Solo SRG is very close). And... I've got one of the best tube amps available - which is GREAT!

And... the "keep it clean and simple" principle is "way under-appreciated." I'm finding a simple Shellbrook Maxi-Moy ($125)... is about as good as it gets at any price - period! Talk about "KICAS!"

Jun 11, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 19
I do believe that there is a comparison of the Heed Canamp and the EF-1, where the Canamp narrowly prevailed. Relevance? Perhaps a Canamp v. KICAS comparison is more needed.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nadavnaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The main reason I went for the KICAS (caliente) is it's name "Keep it CLEAN and SIMPLE". I didn't want the fuss to mess around with PSU's, configurations, tubes or opamps. I loved the idea of a box that just does what it does. Being SS, the sound-stage is smaller (or so I've heard, I didn't get the chance to hear a tube amp, ever). The thing is, it's sturdy and easy, with an international PSU that's as small as my cellphone's charger.

But I have to say, reading the very slight comparison between the two amps, i slightly regret my decision. >:

You may not need to regret. I wonder if you have read theBigD's newer thread comparing C2C and Caliente. His comment later seems to suggest that both are better than EF1 (with stock tube) and Compass.

Neither do I regret. Caliente is my current favorite amp including LD MK3 with various tubes. The soundstage is wide. Mid sounds rich/smooth/detailed. My only complain is that bass sounds somewhat bloated to me.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dukja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Caliente is my current favorite amp including LD MK3 with various tubes. The soundstage is wide. Mid sounds rich/smooth/detailed. My only complain is that bass sounds somewhat bloated to me.

While I own very bass light phones at the moment (MS-2i and K501), I sometimes wonder if the Caliente is any disservice in misrepresenting bass, to which I sometimes wonder if I ought to get the regular KICAS. However, I do like my Caliente. It's definitely a purist, no-nonsense sort of amp that's great

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #10 of 19
I use a KICAS Caliente with my RS-1/flats...............have used a Joe Grado HPA1, and a ASL MG OTL (w/best NOS tubes) with RS-1, and ended up preferring the Caliente. I recommend it highly.
Now, considering an E.A.R. HP4.

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #11 of 19
Use KICAS caliente with k701 and recabled HD600 and feel happy
bigsmile_face.gif
. Highly recommended

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a KICAS Caliente with my RS-1/flats...............have used a Joe Grado HPA1, and a ASL MG OTL (w/best NOS tubes) with RS-1, and ended up preferring the Caliente. I recommend it highly.
Now, considering an E.A.R. HP4.

Same boat haha.

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #14 of 19
Just got my new AKG K702 coming in today. After burning in a few hours to remove those hardness of diaphragms, it sounds so great with Caliente that I am so pleased. Due to many dislike posts, I really hesitated to get it. But I think my music genre really matches K70x's strength, and hence it sounds so good to me.

I thought the high freq. of DT880 was good, and now K702 really shows the nice sparkling of good recording especially with classical music. I found that I listened much less classical music after I switch to headphones. Now this K702 + Caliente really brings back my old feeling with speakers.

The bass bloating of Caliente is diminished thanks to the tight bass of K702. The bass amount also reduced (I am not surprised), but bass actually sound clearer so I have no complain.

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #15 of 19
Over the weekend my friends and I got togehter to do this comparison. We had a EF1, Headroom Max, Peachtree audio Decco and the K.I.C.A.S. Caliente.

All of us agreed that the Caliente sounded the best with the 701s. It is a bit warmer and the bass is just amazing. I do believe the the bass is a bit more than neutral with the Caliente but it is so natural and present when paired with the 701/702s. All the other amps sounded so "boring" with the 701/702s except the Caliente.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back