EF1 vs. Canamp Reviewed for K70x {56k=NO.} (Updated)
Jun 6, 2009 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

crossmd

100+ Head-Fier
In looking around, I found that these two amps up for review were often thrown around in response to those many looking for options in driving their k701/2's..but had no solid analytical support between them. I am only using my 702's between them because of the supposed synergy with both amps as to serve those looking at the relationship between them and the k701.

The rig chain used here in testing involves Verified FLAC Files ripped from original CD copies taken USB out to a Gigalab Moon DAC (NOS) to the respective amps via RCA, out to 702(stock cable).

Background:
Heed Canamp-Purchased this past week from Semiaudiophile, who was an awesome seller, never hesitated to answer my incessant questioning, patient enough to wait for my paypal transfer, all at an incredibly affordable price for this amp. Anyone looking to do business with him in the future, know that he totally gets a green light from me, no hesitation. Semi reported having the Heed about a year, keeping it totally stock-unmodded, and to his knowledge fully burned in.

Head Direct- Bought about 3 months ago, fully burnt in. Have not rolled op-amp, and will use the stock Sylvania 12AU7 provided by Fang to give a clean slate from which others can apply other tube characteristics.

ACX_6835.jpg

ACX_6837.jpg

ACX_6841.jpg

To the review—onward!

So even in immediately listening to the two, there are a lot of similarities between them, maybe more so than I expected from reading the reviews between them. To a good degree in this review, I’m splitting hairs in this way, and comparing minute differences that a lot of times are the only differences between them. Both really though, are stellar amps..ones that would not disappoint regardless of choice.

Starting with the Heed, the Canamp presents an authenticity of sound that is not as detailed, and “thorough” in regards to the individual elements of a song, but maybe more real. By this I mean that: to me, the EF1 will do justice to every layer of a song, every instrument in an orchestral piece, every tom in a drum kit, etc.—rendered perfectly. The difference lies in that the Heed seems to see those elements as being less essential to its presentation, than maybe those more forward, vocals, instrument solos, etc. To my ear, the Heed almost, in comparison, takes a lot of the recordings that you have and to some degree, turns them into a live mix instead. As maybe one would hear if they were hearing the music performed, rather than monitoring a recording.

The slight exception to this is the bass presentation of the Heed. The lower mids and upper lows are emphasized in a way that the EF1 (at least with stock Sylvania) can’t touch. To my taste, its almost at times a little too much..this though, is almost entirely due to the fact that I tend to favor just enough bass to do the recording justice. Anti-basshead Incarnate. So to other tastes, this could be the perfect amount. --Know though that, now sounds with an accentuation on the bass take on a new light compared to the EF1. Victor Wooten’s slap bass, for example, is a joy to listen to now, with a new punchiness and vitality that really does justice to the huge role that it plays in all of his Bela Fleck offerings. Triphop is a lot more fun with a more pronounced bass. Bass drums, timpanies, uprights, and even sampled bass pieces are more robust and full. Maybe more natural. More physical, for sure. Even as I listen to it now, in a variety of contexts, the EF1 can seem a little anemic at times because of this.

Additionally though, the EF1 seems to have the soundstage factor covered. While the difference isn’t night and day, the EF1 invites many recordings to envelop the listener, as opposed to the Heed’s wanting to “present” the music to you in a way that’s more “head-on,” maybe contributing further to this feeling of a live music setting, that I keep getting.

In conclusion, To a good degree, I see this as a matter of highs and lows. The emphasis, (however slight between the amps), and whichever way you apply yourself to your own tastes, is going to dictate largely the route taken for each individual. I’m still really trying to figure out where I’m really taking the 702’s, something though, I’m confident will expose itself in time. IMO, though, I think we need to re-evaluate our stance on consistently throwing out “HEED. GET IT NAO.” to anyone looking for an amp for the 70x. While I’m not suggesting that tubes are a 70x’s best friend, the ability to swap tubes to tailor sound is very appealing.

Gun to my head, have to pick one now? —EF1, maybe just in that it’s something that I’m used to, but the detail and the soundstage and my beloved upper mids leave me to believe that they won’t lead me astray in the future. Time with both though, will tell if this will indeed be the case in the end. If you’re looking to maybe tame the sibilance of the k70x, or if you find yourself overly sensitive to it’s brightness, the Heed is probably more your cup of tea. If you’re looking to accentuate the strengths of the akg flagship, you’ll probably be better off with the EF1. Also, the ability to tube roll, etc. allows for a significant amount of flexibility that is absent from the Heed.

DISCLAIMER: I understand that there are issues with this review. A greater degree of science should be had that cannot due to physical and financial limitations. The issue of relative subjectivity is always in effect, etc. Despite this, I, through this review, seek to illuminate and contribute to those niche interests stemming from those looking to compare the two amps, especially in their relationships with the akg 701/2.

And below..are individual track comparisons for those looking for more detail! Huzzah! (Though, if you’ve gotten to the bottom of this, I would hardly blame you for skipping.) Later this week, I plan to take these findings over to an ATH-AD700 and maybe the DT770’s too. Questions welcome.

-Matt

Jun 6, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 25
In trying to achieve a good variety of test subject files, I settled on the following in an attempt to be as thorough as possible:

Morcheeba- Enjoy the Ride: Chosen for what I've considered recently to be the perfect amount of mixed bass given my present setup, this track will seek to hopefully illuminate also the difference between how the two handle a given mix of a track.

Feist- 1234: As the 70x line is known for its ability to reproduce vocals, (and those female..) especially well, both the dynamics and nuances of the female voice here will be tested well, IMO, on their clarity and accuracy.

Common- Faithful: Regardless of the belief that the akg flagship does not consider rap/R&B a forte of sorts, the variety of the male vocals in different styles here tests that, while pitting a different taste of bass into both amps.

Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds- Lie in Our Graves: A detailed acoustic recording that shines well on the 702s here is chosen for its ability to render individual instrumentation in a live setting especially.

Mstislav Rostropovich- (Bach Cello)Suite Nr.1 BWV 1007 G-dur - Movement III. Courante A masterful recording of a masterful performance by a master himself. The akg's allow for a visceral feeling between performer and listener, to me, one that allows for an understanding truly of such details as the resonance of wood, of a relationship between player and instrument, etc. details and qualities that these amps are vying to reproduce.

Miles Davis
-Flamenco Sketches (Alternate Take--Remastered): An incredible ending to a masterpiece of a record. Soundstage and the tonal qualities of all instruments involved will be evaluated according to the amps abilities in emotional movement through the piece.

(Turandot) Act III, Scene I. “Nessun Dorma" {Luciano Pavarotti w. Zubin Mehtani; London Philharmonic Orchestra}
(Tosca)Act I: "Recondita Armonia" {Jose Carreras w. Sir Colin Davis; Chorus and Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden}
Two Puccini's that, in nature, I use to test the separation and soundstage, as well as the emotional depth of the pieces chosen, while allowing the amps to do justice to the male operatic tenor voice.

------------------------------
Enjoy the Ride- The Heed really makes this a listening experience that wasn’t really had before. Everything about the production/recording of the song, plays right into the silky, even sultry presentation of bass and strings that meld and blend seamlessly into one another. Judie Tzuke’s voice is fleshy, sweet, and tactile. All of which, are lacking in the EF1 to a good degree. The EF1 instead chose to separate the string elements of the song, pretty profoundly. This felt slightly out of place considering that I really felt certain upper register elements of the song to be accentuating. A different feel really, from the Heed. Despite what I’ll say about Feist, (those feelings still hold true) the Heed really does loves the female voice..all voices, but the female voice especially. In some regards it’s worth hearing just to understand this.

1234--This one goes to the EF1, hands down. Her voice caresses the ear, with a realism that at times wouldn’t surprise you to feel her hair on your cheek. Those nuances sought above are found in plenty, probably due to the leanings of the EF1 on the upper mids, highs, etc. As the song progresses, horns, keys enter, the myriad of highs sort of becomes brash and clouded, (oddly as this is not an EF1 characteristc) compared to the Heed, which always retains its separation through out, but isn’t really worth not having the intense realism of the EF1’s offerings. This is odd though, as I think the Heed by far, reproduces the female voice with a depth unsurpassed by the EF1 in most cases.

Faithful-- This, without a doubt, belongs to the Heed. The EF1 removes all of the punch and life from the song, trying to emphasize all of the wrong frequencies, slaughters it when compared to the fine blend of bass and voice (and better soundstage??) that belongs to the Canamp.

Lie in Our Graves- Heed. While I think the EF1 is, as always slightly more detailed, Dave’s voice is a lot more forwardly active with the Heed. Additionally, the instrumentation takes on a slightly more tinny flavor without the bolder, woodier support of the Heed on the EF1, a comparison that(for you guitar players..) is maybe slightly more Taylor-esque(EF1) vs. Martin(Heed—this is good in that this is what is actually being played, thus to me, a better level of accuracy tonally.)

Rostropovich BCS
--This is really a tie for the most part. Detail, resonance, and decay are awarded immediately to the EF1, but it lacks the throaty timbre of the cello as an instrument quality, something that the Heed will never let you forget as being an integral part of a solo cello piece especially.

Flamenco Sketches- The Heed really excels here in its profound ability to let Miles’ horn bloom and grow, sort of as if the sound is a balloon being slowly inflated. All of the hours Coltrane put into developing his tone show magnificently. The EF1 was a definitely more shrill and top heavy. The bass at times was lost and needed to be sought after, and really didn’t paint a cohesive picture of the masterpiece at hand. This to me is now something critical that I really didn’t see until I heard it for myself.

Puccinis
--EF1 is the winner here, by a pretty good stretch. The increased soundstage gives a lot more credit to the orchestral accompaniment, where as the Heed is almost negligent of that same accompaniment, recessing it backward, closing it in slightly soundstage wise, etc. Alternatively, the lower end of the Heed rounds out both tenors tonally, but really doesn’t make up for the loss of accompaniment and soundstage, IMO. The incoming of the chorus, for example, toward the end of the Nessun Dorma has never ceased to move me intensely in the past with the EF1, but all of that emotive power was lost to the Heed, something that was almost inexcusable in my book.

Jun 6, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 25
Update- Beyer770's (80ohm) are a no go, with either. A dedicated tube amp is really needed to bring anything out of them, IMO. Something that's not up for grabs here. The AD700's take a huge liking to both, the Heed especially..as expected in their similarities with the k702. Unamped, they sound like $100 phones, but with a good push, they can hold their own with the akg's. Not in detail or soundstage, but the tonal qualities are a lot more similar when amped. The ATs still don't really have the highs I'd like, even with the EF1..but this is really a small quip compared to everything that they do right after this. Probably pushing 70% of the akgs after amp-age.

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #4 of 25
nice post... still wait for updates

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 25
Nice write up. I do prefer EF1 over my Cantate and Graham Slee Solo with K701. I don't know why even though soundstage is larger with the Solo, there is something about the midrange that appeals to me with the EF1.

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #6 of 25
@downer what tube do you have downer? I believe everyone here agree ef1 greatest strength is the rich and smooth mid (tubist sound?)

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 25
Very nice write up, although I have owned both amps it was not at the same time so I could not do side by side as you have done. From memory both work great w/ the K701, but I believe the EF1 is more useful since it sounds better w/ other cans. From memory which is bad specially at my age I would still select the Heed for the K701.

Jun 7, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice write up, although I have owned both amps it was not at the same time so I could not do side by side as you have done. From memory both work great w/ the K701, but I believe the EF1 is more useful since it sounds better w/ other cans. From memory which is bad specially at my age I would still select the Heed for the K701.

Hah..don't think it's your age just yet Miguel, I think for alot of reasons the Heed is recommended just because it does a better job of addressing alot of the shortcomings that alot of people see with the k701's(these being, anemic bass, lack of body, etc.). For this reason, it makes a lot of sense to recommend it accordingly. The real purpose of my write up maybe was to illuminate an alternative that is as strong, IMO..just a different flavor.

Updates to come too.

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 25
If you ever get a chance to listen to a K701 re-cabled by Alex of APureSound you will be surprised. I can not believe the difference the V3 cable made in the K701's bass, openness, and airiness. I compared them side by side w/ an stock K701. Another thing that many users do not accept is that the K701 need as a minimum 800 hours of burn-in w/ 1,200 hours being better.

Jun 7, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

If you ever get a chance to listen to a K701 re-cabled by Alex of APureSound you will be surprised. I can not believe the difference the V3 cable made in the K701's bass, openness, and airiness. I compared them side by side w/ an stock K701. Another thing that many users do not accept is that the K701 need as a minimum 800 hours of burn-in w/ 1,200 hours being better.

Mrarroyo,it is interesting comment about the akg's required burn in time. i don't want to go off the subject here, but i am just curious about this.
i appreciate your comment and knowledge, and i am a burn-in believer myself, but 800 hours? that's a record for me
bigsmile_face.gif
i mean...so far i heard of 300-400 hours the most (regarding my denon AHD5000) but it's the first time for 800 hours. Did you really noticed a difference between 400 hours and 800? is there something that 400 can't change that 800 can?

just curious about this, not arguing or something...
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #12 of 25
Nice write-up. I'm thinking when you say the Heed presents the music more "head-on" that it doesn't present as wide a sound-stage as the EF-1 does, suggesting that it doesn't drive headphones as well as the EF-1. I've noticed a similar thing with my headphones and different amps, that the better amps will result in the music having a wider soundstage, with the different instruments separated better, as if you were closer to the performers when listening.

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #13 of 25
Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts crossmd, I really enjoyed reading them. I am sad to say that I have never had the pleasure of listening to a Heed with my K701, but like you I have been very happy with the EF1/K701 combination I currently have sitting at home. I actually thought the EF1 added a nice little bit of bass oomph (at least relative to the only comparisons I have had extended exposure to - a Little Dot MKV and a Compass), but it's interesting to know that there are some options out there for those that want even more. I don't think EF1/K701 users will be disappointed though - the sound is extremely dynamic, pleasantly warm to my ears, and very transparent and clear.

I'm interested to listen to a Heed at some point though, especially since you seem to have preferred it to the EF1 in a number spots in your listening notes. Maybe next time I'm in Richmond!

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mrarroyo,it is interesting comment about the akg's required burn in time. i don't want to go off the subject here, but i am just curious about this.
i appreciate your comment and knowledge, and i am a burn-in believer myself, but 800 hours? that's a record for me
bigsmile_face.gif
i mean...so far i heard of 300-400 hours the most (regarding my denon AHD5000) but it's the first time for 800 hours. Did you really noticed a difference between 400 hours and 800? is there something that 400 can't change that 800 can?

just curious about this, not arguing or something...
bigsmile_face.gif

I know it sounds far fetched, but it is what it took mine to stop changing. I know of other posters who have posted as such just like others who say burn-in does not exist. Your call, but if you do a search ...
wink.gif

BTW, there are a few portable amps which use caps 12,000 uF up to 22,000 uF. These take well over 400 hours up to 800 hours to burn in, again do a search ...
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

I know it sounds far fetched, but it is what it took mine to stop changing. I know of other posters who have posted as such just like others who say burn-in does not exist. Your call, but if you do a search ...
wink.gif

BTW, there are a few portable amps which use caps 12,000 uF up to 22,000 uF. These take well over 400 hours up to 800 hours to burn in, again do a search ...
wink.gif

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back