EF1 to WA6? Does it have a more powerful sound?
Feb 14, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by UTF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you and parra said here make me wonder if I made a wise purchase of EF1 for using with HD600 (my EF1 is still on its way to me).
Is what its missing to sound right there related to its power, synergy, or something else? Would tube rolling help? Just cannot wait to try HD600 on it.

It is in not bad, by any meanes, but the DV 336se is just better with the HD600. In my ears at least.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is definitely interesting to note. What would you say is the difference in sound? What makes the DV336 better than the EF1?

To me it seems like the EF-1 delivers a good amount of power, but its missing just a bit to put the sound 'right there.' I've heard that the DV336 did have more synergy, but I'm wondering what sound qualities it delivers that makes it superior with the HD600s

My EF-1 is stock, using RCA clear top tubes, stock op-amp.

I would describe the sound from the AF-1 compaired o the 336se:
- The 336se has more open sound, it is like moving closer to the stage
- 336se has better instument separation (big difference in my opinion)
- better soundstage, but here the difference is small. I dont think the HD600 is capable of delivering a big soundstage, not with the EF-1 or the 336.
- The EF-1 is flater and more dull, compaired to the 336
-It is like the 336 is just a bit better dance partner then the EF-1, and makes the HD600 swing even more/better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Going from the EF-1 to the 336 is a bit like watching a picture througt a glass, and then remove the glass. the difference is not huge, but I enjoy the 336se more.

Even if the 336 delivers better sound reproduction then the EF-1, it seems that the HD600 have more to give, and a WA6 is probably gonne be very good.

high ohm HP ---> 336
Low ohm HP ---> EF-1

Stian

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

The sound the EF1 gives off is a thick, somewhat heavy sound when I listen with the HD600s. Overall, the amp sounds quite good, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I'm constantly looking for improvements. I'll proceed to try and describe exactly what it is what I'm looking for.

I just need a sound that is a bit more engaging.

My thoughts excactly, the HD600 is a bit heavy/thick. This is better with the 336 then the EF-1, but even with the 336 there is much room for improvement.

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #19 of 27
Yeah that definitely seems to be the case with from what I'm hearing. The EF1 seems to work better with low impedence phones, which is a bit interesting, since it was supposedly voiced with the HD600.

Well, I just ordered a pair of D7000s off of JR Music... Couldn't resist for the $545 price for normally $999 reference quality headphones. I'll get to see how low impedence headphones do with the EF1. That wraps up my audiophile related purchasesfor a good while. I'll give the HD800s time to 'settle in' and I'll also wait until I can buy more appropriate equipment before I look to purchase them. I'll probably get them along with the Balancing Act Amp in a few years when both of those brand new products have settled in and I can get some good information on them. This has saved me $800 if I were to purchase the HD800s this year. I'll have to wait until they 'restock' for my order to be shipped, but really, I'm in no rush.

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by paara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My thoughts excactly, the HD600 is a bit heavy/thick. This is better with the 336 then the EF-1, but even with the 336 there is much room for improvement.

I just noticed that you had a pair of Denons...

I've heard the 2000s, 5000s, and 7000s were relatively similar in sound signature. How did you like the Denons?

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Yeah that definitely seems to be the case with from what I'm hearing. The EF1 seems to work better with low impedence phones, which is a bit interesting, since it was supposedly voiced with the HD600.

Not the low impedence K701s though. Works with the EF1, it does but the combination lacks excitement (the X/sweetness/come hither factor) for my tastes.

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

I just noticed that you had a pair of Denons...

I've heard the 2000s, 5000s, and 7000s were relatively similar in sound signature. How did you like the Denons?

Hi KevM2,

My D2000 (LA2000) is still at lawton audio for a markl mod, new cable, and cups. So I have never heard them.

,Stian

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #23 of 27
Ahh, so it may very well be that the EF1 is just a 'gentle' amp. I still look forward to checking out the Denons though. I'm done with audiophile purchases unless I get the Denon recabled next year. Around 2011 or so is when I'll take a look at the HD800 and accompanying amp.

I can't wait to compare the Denons and the HD600s.

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Ahh, so it may very well be that the EF1 is just a 'gentle' amp. I still look forward to checking out the Denons though. I'm done with audiophile purchases unless I get the Denon recabled next year. Around 2011 or so is when I'll take a look at the HD800 and accompanying amp.

I can't wait to compare the Denons and the HD600s.

From what I have heard the D2000 is a good match for the EF-1, and I recon the D7000 is gonna be great
smily_headphones1.gif

I bought mine EF-1 to use with the LA2000.
EF1--->LA2000
336se-->HD600
From what I heard, it is suposebly a good solution

A little off topic: Did you feel the Ef-1 got better with the new op-amp and ecc82? compaired to stock?

Feb 14, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #25 of 27
I definitely felt that the opamp upgrade was worth it. I switch betwen the two tubes. The ECC has the more accurate sound, but I put in the cleartop here and there to get a bit more aggressiveness, even though it comes with a bit of brightness. HiFlight sells the kit, so if you have an extra $70, it'd be an upgrade well worth looking into.

I actually heard the D2000s after the mod was quite close in performance to the 7000s, so it should be interesting testing these two phones on the EF1. What made you choose to get a pair of Denons?

I greatly enjoyed the sound of the HD600 with the EF1, especially with classical, but I ultimately felt something was a tad 'off' in certain genres such as funk. The sound is a bit too thick and not as refined as I'd like it. The sound wasn't muddy, but more like humid, as if the sound didn't have enough space to air out... so it would make my head feel heavy after a while. I'm definitely keeping the 600s, as I'm sure they will sound magnificent out of another amp when I decide to upgrade, but hopefully the Denons will rectify some of the problems I'm having and mate a bit better. This isn't to suggest that the HD600 and EF1 are a bad combo, but rather as someone who is very particular about sound, it didn't quite get me to that level where I can sit back and say, "Ahhh, I'm satisfied."

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

The sound the EF1 gives off is a thick, somewhat heavy sound when I listen with the HD600s. Overall, the amp sounds quite good, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I'm constantly looking for improvements. I'll proceed to try and describe exactly what it is what I'm looking for.

It might have more to do with the sound signature of the HD600s when they aren't getting all the power they need, but what I especially need is a more intensive 'tone'. Certain instruments play thick, but sound soft, such as the horns in certain songs. I need a little more blare.

I just need a sound that is a bit more engaging. With the HD600s, I'm no longer hearing 'the veil' after some of the adjustments I've made (Equinox cable, interconnect adjustment, etc.) but the sound is somewhat condensed, and polite. I guess it can have a slight syrupy feel to it.

I'd like the sound to 'spread out' a little bit. That heavy, thick sound can feel real weighty on my head, which causes me to take the headphones off every now and then. It has somewhat of a 'stuffy' feel to it, sort of like going outside on a humid day. I want a big, powerful, slightly faster sound without all the thickness... I want less politeness and more immersion, but without having the sound get brighter.

In essence I want to feel I'm closer to the stage... The Senns have often been said that they are headphones that are better to listen to at higher volumes on some amps. So I'll use that to describe what I'm talking about. To see where I'm coming from, listen to the 600s at a low volume and observe the sound. Then move the knob on the amp to a higher volume. At low volumes, the sound doesn't simply lower and yet retain all of its traits it had at a higher volume. Everything starts to sound more distant, softer, like details start disappearing into the air. In other words, recessed. When you turn the volume knob up, the sound doesn't merely get louder. The sound starts filling up and becomes more engaging.

I'm currently past the 'veil' stage with my set-up, but what I'm trying to do is get rid of the politeness without turning my system into something bright and annoying. I want a bolder, more dynamic, clearer, powerful sound. I was just wondering if the WA6 takes 'more control' of the headphones and makes them sound more dynamic. I've heard the Zana Deux really takes control of the HD600s, but that's twice the cost of a WA6SE.

What you're describing, though, honestly, has always been my impression of the HD600 in general. The HD600 just isn't a fast, funky headphone at all. I find it to be too sluggish for most rock/blues that I listen to. I've only heard one HD600 setup that I've ever been immediately impressed with, and that was with 88 db's rig at the NJ meet this past summer. If you want a good amp for the HD600's, definitely talk to him, because that amp really worked well with the HD600's and just forced them to perform in a way I've never heard before. In fact, we agreed that our rigs sounded extremely similar even though I use Grado HF-1's and he uses HD600's. They're two completely different headphones, but it just goes to show you what source/amp/headphone synergy can do. Headroom's amps also work great with the HD600 if memory serves.

My Grados really synergize ridiculously well with the EF1, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Sennheisers don't like it... it's very rare that an amp can perfectly appease both parties.

Feb 14, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #27 of 27
Oh yeah, it's all about system synergy. It's crazy how a headphone that isn't known for being fast can sound fast given the right set-up. I just can tell by listening now, that although the sound is good, that these headphones aren't getting all the juice they need to really push the sound forward. As opposed to rushing out and spending thousands trying to build a new rig around them, right now I'll just settle for a different pair of headphones, but keep them around for when I can get a better setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back