EF1 to WA6? Does it have a more powerful sound?
Feb 13, 2009 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

KevM2

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering going from an EF-1 to a WA6 until I eventually have funds for a Balancing Act. I was wondering if the WA6 has has a more 'powerful sound' as opposed to being merely more detailed. By power, I mean it feels like a more booming, headphone filling sound... as in a large orchestra actually sounds like an orchestra as opposed as a few guys playing instruments in a small room. What I'm basically looking for is a stronger sound... Kind of like going from an unamped HD600 to plugging it into an amp. Things go from sort of recessed to a more powerful, upfront sound.

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 27
I have a EF1, and also have a WA6 with PDPS on order, so I could let you know in about 3 weeks.
wink.gif

The EF1 is already sooooo good though, so I don't expect to find a night-and-day difference...

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #3 of 27
Oh yeah, I'm definitely enjoying the EF-1. If the WA6 with PDPS and possibly the Sophia Princess Rectifier isn't a huge upgrade, I'll just wait until I can go balanced.

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm considering going from an EF-1 to a WA6 until I eventually have funds for a Balancing Act. I was wondering if the WA6 has has a more 'powerful sound' as opposed to being merely more detailed. By power, I mean it feels like a more booming, headphone filling sound... as in a large orchestra actually sounds like an orchestra as opposed as a few guys playing instruments in a small room. What I'm basically looking for is a stronger sound... Kind of like going from an unamped HD600 to plugging it into an amp. Things go from sort of recessed to a more powerful, upfront sound.

Hi,

Dont know about the WA6, but I have the EF-1 and the 336se. And the HD600 is much better with the 336 then the EF-1. I dont think the EF-1 is any special with the HD600. So going to WA6 is probably a big improvement.

The HD600 benefits form the bigger voltage swing a tube out can deliver, or so I've heard

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 27
I am also looking at this upgrade, but for my W5000s and SR325i's. Does anybody happen to have any experience with them? Unfortunately, the EF1 is quite new, and not many people seem to have had much time to upgrade lol.

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 27
This is an interesting question. I've never done an actual A/B comparison with the Woo 6 and the EF 1 but I have heard the Woo 6 and it is a good amp. I own the EF 1 and I also have the Woo 5, I've done A/B tests with the EF 1 and the Woo 5. The Woo 5 sounds better but it did not embarras the EF 1. The EF 1 is a great bargain and sounds wonderful even when compared to the Woo amp. If you do not want to spend too much money, I would seriously go for the EF 1. The Woo 6 will probably sound better to most people but for the price, the EF 1 is a killer value.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by paara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Dont know about the WA6, but I have the EF-1 and the 336se. And the HD600 is much better with the 336 then the EF-1. I dont think the EF-1 is any special with the HD600. So going to WA6 is probably a big improvement.

The HD600 benefits form the bigger voltage swing a tube out can deliver, or so I've heard

That is definitely interesting to note. What would you say is the difference in sound? What makes the DV336 better than the EF1?

To me it seems like the EF-1 delivers a good amount of power, but its missing just a bit to put the sound 'right there.' I've heard that the DV336 did have more synergy, but I'm wondering what sound qualities it delivers that makes it superior with the HD600s

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #8 of 27
Did you try a different tube? Which one are you using? The EF1 is one of the biggest-sounding amps I've ever heard, period. Big bass, really big soundstage.

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 27
What you and parra said here make me wonder if I made a wise purchase of EF1 for using with HD600 (my EF1 is still on its way to me).
Is what its missing to sound right there related to its power, synergy, or something else? Would tube rolling help? Just cannot wait to try HD600 on it.

Quote:

To me it seems like the EF-1 delivers a good amount of power, but its missing just a bit to put the sound 'right there.' I've heard that the DV336 did have more synergy, but I'm wondering what sound qualities it delivers that makes it superior with the HD600s

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #11 of 27
Just recalled olbueyez told me the RCA cleartop will make the tube amp sound exactly like solid state, and there are also more people saying HD6x0 sound better with tube amp than solid state. So you might try differnt amps if we can get it there, which i hope.
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

Currently using the RCA Cleartop.

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #12 of 27
I think you made a really good choice with the EF1. it does a very good job with the HD600s. I'd personally keep the amp. I've heard the DV336 does better with the Senns, and I'm personally curious as to what the difference is. I'm about to describe exactly what I meant by my first post in just a second.

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #13 of 27
The sound the EF1 gives off is a thick, somewhat heavy sound when I listen with the HD600s. Overall, the amp sounds quite good, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I'm constantly looking for improvements. I'll proceed to try and describe exactly what it is what I'm looking for.

It might have more to do with the sound signature of the HD600s when they aren't getting all the power they need, but what I especially need is a more intensive 'tone'. Certain instruments play thick, but sound soft, such as the horns in certain songs. I need a little more blare.

I just need a sound that is a bit more engaging. With the HD600s, I'm no longer hearing 'the veil' after some of the adjustments I've made (Equinox cable, interconnect adjustment, etc.) but the sound is somewhat condensed, and polite. I guess it can have a slight syrupy feel to it.

I'd like the sound to 'spread out' a little bit. That heavy, thick sound can feel real weighty on my head, which causes me to take the headphones off every now and then. It has somewhat of a 'stuffy' feel to it, sort of like going outside on a humid day. I want a big, powerful, slightly faster sound without all the thickness... I want less politeness and more immersion, but without having the sound get brighter.

In essence I want to feel I'm closer to the stage... The Senns have often been said that they are headphones that are better to listen to at higher volumes on some amps. So I'll use that to describe what I'm talking about. To see where I'm coming from, listen to the 600s at a low volume and observe the sound. Then move the knob on the amp to a higher volume. At low volumes, the sound doesn't simply lower and yet retain all of its traits it had at a higher volume. Everything starts to sound more distant, softer, like details start disappearing into the air. In other words, recessed. When you turn the volume knob up, the sound doesn't merely get louder. The sound starts filling up and becomes more engaging.

I'm currently past the 'veil' stage with my set-up, but what I'm trying to do is get rid of the politeness without turning my system into something bright and annoying. I want a bolder, more dynamic, clearer, powerful sound. I was just wondering if the WA6 takes 'more control' of the headphones and makes them sound more dynamic. I've heard the Zana Deux really takes control of the HD600s, but that's twice the cost of a WA6SE.

Feb 14, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #14 of 27
Your experience seems to match what I heard when I compared a stock EF1 (RCA 12AU7) with my Millet Portable. I felt the EF1 was polite with my 701s.

But I didn't experience any thickness with the 701s but found the sound rather thin/flat.

I just noticed in your signature that you have already modded your EF1 by using an ECC82 tube and AD743JN opamp. I wonder if the politeness is inherent to the EF1.

Feb 14, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #15 of 27
I think the difference in thickness of the sound was based primarily on the headphone's unique signature. I find most music very enjoyable, but certain genres, like funk, sound a bit slow and polite to really grab me. I need more 'come here'ness with the music. Something that slams into my ear with a bit more impact.

I switched the ECC82 with the RCA cleartop, even though the cleartop was a bit brighter just for more aggressiveness. Hiflight's kit made the sound more 'realistic' than stock, but I am finding that my HD600 coupled with EF1 amp are better for classical type music and slower ballads than for faster paced music. Instead of upgrading the amp, I may just swing for some Denons or the HD800. It is by no means bad with other genres, but that is where it seems to excel. I feel with other genres, I need a bit more aggressiveness and that the primary vocals need to be pushed forward more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back