Eee PC...
May 22, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #76 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im ebaying some of my clutter and the money i make from it (which should be decent) will go towards the 7 inch asus. i know the 9 is better, but i dont want to spend 500+ for a laptop when i could get a REAL laptop for that price. i think that 400 is the peak. im interested to see what kinda hacks i can do on the eee. you should look here Asus Eee News, Mods, and Hacks: Asus Eee PC Xandros Linux and AsusLauncher Review

to see some of the stuff theyve done. neat stuff.

JKK Mobile has featured a bunch of hardware hacks for the eeePC. In this post, he installs an internal 3G HSDPA modem. He has another tutorial on installing a touch screen, and there are bunch of other useful posts.

May 22, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #77 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JKK Mobile has featured a bunch of hardware hacks for the eeePC. In this post, he installs an internal 3G HSDPA modem. He has another tutorial on installing a touch screen, and there are bunch of other useful posts.

Yeah that's good stuff, but I like this one better.
smily_headphones1.gif
Do all of them, that'd be awesome.

Jul 27, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #79 of 85
Yes it is. But you might want to look into the acer aspireone, same specs as the wind but much cheaper.

The 1gb version with 120gbhdd is coming out mid august, I'll probably be getting it as soon as it's out.

Jul 27, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #80 of 85
i went with the HP 2133...i was looking around for the MSI wind..but it seemed like few places had them...and would take people forever to receive them. 3 cell battery is no biggie...i can manage that.

should be decent...though i read it says to upgrade to 2 gigs...might do that later

Sep 25, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #82 of 85
Does anyone have any experience with the eee 1000? I'm thinking of buying one but I have a reservation. I travel quite a bit outside the US and, in many countries, broadband internet is not available in rooms. Is there a USB modem available that is compatible with the eee?

Also, I see that it has built-in bluetooth. Has anyone tethered it with a Blackberry to use the BB as a modem?

Sep 25, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #83 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have any experience with the eee 1000? I'm thinking of buying one but I have a reservation. I travel quite a bit outside the US and, in many countries, broadband internet is not available in rooms. Is there a USB modem available that is compatible with the eee?

Also, I see that it has built-in bluetooth. Has anyone tethered it with a Blackberry to use the BB as a modem?

Blackberry bluetooth functionality is very limited. It only really allows you to use bluetooth headsets.

I have, with an older Blackberry, been able to use it as a cell modem when connected via USB. You'll have to check online for directions for doing this with your model of Blackberry, your service provider, and your OS (depending on if you get one with Linux instead of Windows). Some work, some might not. Make sure that you have an unlimited data plan, though, or this will get expensive fast.

Aside from that, just about any USB device should work just fine with an EeePC. And yes, there are many USB cell modems that will work just fine with either Linux or Windows. They are expensive, though, so if you need to be able to access the net anywhere for work, try to get the office to foot the bill.

Also, don't limit yourself to the Eee brand. Just about every company makes a netbook now. The MSI Wind is supposed to be good, for example.

Sep 25, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #84 of 85
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm looking at the Curve 8320 and it's supposed to support bluetooth tethering. All the same, it's not that hard to carry a USB cable to do the tether. At my previous job, I spent a lot of time setting up tethers between BB Pearls and laptops so I know its possible.

The modem would be for POTS, not cell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back