Edition9 vs MsPro/RS-1 for ROCK
Jan 25, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 34
I haven't heard both, but Grados are generally supposed to be supreme for rock.

Jan 25, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by braddo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi. What's the best for rock and why?? Anyone heard both??? Thanks!

I'm a rock listener 90% of the time and I only have the Editions in my park...I never had liked the look, fit or house sound of any of the Grado line I have heard till now. Even while the Alessandro sounds a little different there are still many things in common to that house sound, and for my personal taste, the Edition are in another league soundwise...but the best thing to do is, as usual, try to listen both, and decide for yourself...
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #4 of 34
You could PM HeadphoneAddict who has both, he might be able to lead you in the right direction.

The RS-1 are fast and clear, IMO they handle rock very well.

I listen to metal mostly, and can say that metalcore bands like All That Remains and As I Lay Dying shine with the Grados. The bass is tight and punchy and the riffs layer nicely. But the vocals are the best, they sound so real!

Jan 25, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #5 of 34
As good as the Grados are for rock, the Edition 9 is easily the greatest rock can I have ever heard. They are so fast that they make the RS1 look slow and bloated in comparison.

Jan 26, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #8 of 34
Yup, I'd give grado's the edge here. The have a certain 'live' sound that the ultrasone's just can't match.

Jan 26, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #9 of 34
My fellow head-fier's son said the GS1000's were better for rock than his father's E9's. And he's got very decent headphone setup. The father prefers the E9's but it's the son who's the real rockman. As for me, the GS1000's are great for rock, better than the RS1's. I'd give the RS2's the edge for rock against the RS1's as well.

Jan 26, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #10 of 34
Just curious, how many of you guys had heard the Edition 9 before? Because if you have I really don't see how you can rate the RS1/MSPro higher as rock cans. I think it's more accurate to say that the Edition 9 has a certain 'live' sound that the Grados just can't match. Tell me, in what what are the Grados better rock phones than the Edition 9? The Edition 9's bass is the ultimate rockin bass, its mids are so lush and rich, I have never heard any headphone as exciting as the Edition 9. And this is coming from someone who doesn't rate the other ultrasones highly.

Jan 26, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #11 of 34
I heard the Edition 9's in many rigs, as well as the GS1000's. I prefer the latter slightly. The best rig for the Edition 9's I heard was:
modded Cairn Fog v.2, modded DACT upgraded ASL Twin Head with Brimar GZ34, CCa Siemens/Halske and 45 Mesh Plate from Emission Labs, a decent power cable, Tara Labs Air1 IC's. The NX-33 with the same source but balanced IC's didn't do that great. There were other amps and setups as well, BTW I tried the Edition 9's many times and I can tell you it's more difficult to do the justice to the GS1k's than the E9's but when you do... you don't look further.

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #12 of 34
Seriously, if you have the money only you can answer to this question. Personaly i would choose RS-1, because i don't think i will ever spend ~1800 $ on a single headphone.
RS-1 for me are more that enough, for now i am getting the most "fun" out of this headphone compared to what i had in the past or what i heard

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #13 of 34
Plus the ED9's are among the most overrated headphones ever I think, for that kind of money you can buy a RS1 + HD650 + K701 + HFI780 or whatever combination you fancy. And tbh I would now wait for the ED8 before buying a ED9, seems like they are getting dumped in the 'for sale' section too.

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plus the ED9's are among the most overrated headphones ever I think

Have you ever heard the Edition 9 before saying something like that ????

I was an owner of the Grado RS-1 in the past and while they were very good for rock & metal, the Edition 9 are a lot better to my ears.

With the RS-1 on your head, you still have the impressions that you are listening to a good pair of headphones but with the Edition 9 it's a different experience (more immersive) and their sound is very close to what I have from my full tower speakers. (Axiom M60)

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #15 of 34
Yes I have! And thats because they apparantly fit your tatse well, I'm just happy they don't fit mine that well, saves me money... or not, because I LOVE the O2's
frown.gif
No seriously, I agree with the statement that the ALO780J sounds like 95% (or whatever, nearly indistinctable to me anyway) of he ED9, and its imo not worth it. I like my ALO's very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back