Edition9--balanced, silvered, and controlled!
Aug 26, 2008 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

earwicker7

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got my Edition9 back from Drew at Moon Audio. I worked pretty hard at getting a fully balanced source to headphone system, so it was killing me to have my Edition9 not be balanced, given that they're my favorite dynamic can (although they're damned uncomfortable). So I contacted Drew (who'd done a fine job on my GS-1000 balanced recable), who said my instincts were good on the choice of the Silver Dragon recable. Although I was never bothered enough by the Edition9 bass to become one of the (unfortunately) many haters, I could acknowledge that it was a little untamed, so I was thinking that having silver cables might help with this. I'd never owned silver cables before, but they seemed to have a good reputation (or bad, depending on how you think) for being a little on the "thin" side, so I thought they might be able to control the bass.

It turns out that, in the case of the Edition9 bass, you don't know what you've got til it's gone... the cable has really done a lot for the bass by making there be less of it. I don't know if it is mostly the silver, or the fact that they are now balanced, but something has changed for the better. A little bit of the tactile slam is gone, but so is a lot of the boominess. The bass definition of these has greatly increased, and it seems like this is helping the other frequencies shine.

Anyways, to any of you who've bought the Edition9 and were disappointed with it, it may behoove you to try a recable.

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 13
sounds interesting.

balanced and silver dragon may be the key for this headphone. it hasn't wowed me so far but balanced can definitely take things up a notch.

pics please, or maybe drew has some you could share with us.

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 13
aps v3 balanced edition 9 sounds pretty good, too. i didnt like stock edition9 when i had it last time but this one feels a little different, so far.

i just got it 2days ago
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aps v3 balanced edition 9 sounds pretty good, too. i didnt like stock edition9 when i had it last time but this one feels a little different, so far.

Interesting. If you didn't like the Proline 750's, or the stock Edition 9's, what prompted you go for the modded E9's?

Aug 27, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 13
i didnt think that they sounded terrible. i just thought that they sounded too muddy, with my setup.

now that i have b22, i thought that they might sound a little bit different, especially balanced. and it seems that they are pretty good, so far.

Aug 27, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 13
I went for the APS v3 recable because it tamed the high harshness/sibilance just right and it added some more weight to the bass - these were my two wants from a recable

Ed 9s is not even close to being the bassiest phones I've heard.. it's actually so defined that it's hard to get proper resonance out of it, imo. Recable helped towards that end.

Differing tastes - definitely interested in hearing a silver dragon recabled pair, though

Aug 27, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 13
The Picture on the site is not Earwicker7's but a pair I did long time ago. I have been doing these fora while. For People who want to add more weight to the sound and help tame the highs a bit then the Black Dragon is what I recommend. For cases such as what Earwicker7 wanted I recommend the Silver Dragon. My preference is the Silver Dragon. Just cleans the sound up so much. These are one of my favorite phones.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 29, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went for the APS v3 recable because it tamed the high harshness/sibilance just right and it added some more weight to the bass - these were my two wants from a recable

Ed 9s is not even close to being the bassiest phones I've heard.. it's actually so defined that it's hard to get proper resonance out of it, imo. Recable helped towards that end.

Differing tastes - definitely interested in hearing a silver dragon recabled pair, though

I'd like to hear my Edition 9 balanced. For now the Edition 9 has a 6 foot APS v3 with 1/8" to use with my iMod and Vcaps and Predator, but my RS-1 can take over that roll (also 6 foot APS V3 with 1/8"). I may re-terminate my Edition 9 to a 4-pin XLR, when my D2000 return from APS and I find out if their new 4-pin is too unwieldy or not, for use with a four foot long APS V3 4-pin to dual 3-pin adapter (and a 4-pin to 1/8" SE adapter).

The weird thing is that I have heard my HD600 with Blutarsky's Silver Dragon cable and compared it to my APS V3 cables, and the Silver Dragon bass wasn't that much less that it made a big difference, just a small difference. It sounds like you lost more bass than I would have guessed would happen.

What I think the APS V3 cable did for my Edition 9 was to smooth the treble, improve the micro-detail and add definition and better control to the bass - so there's still nice punch to it but no boomyness (and not the other extreme of too little bass).

Aug 29, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may re-terminate my Edition 9 to a 4-pin XLR, when my D2000 return from APS and I find out if their new 4-pin is too unwieldy or not, for use with a four foot long APS V3 4-pin to dual 3-pin adapter (and a 4-pin to 1/8" SE adapter).

I seriously considered going this route as well, but I was likewise worried it would be too unwieldy and drag at the cable. Let me know what you think when you get the D2000
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 13
Looks like ALO is doing a silver-plated copper X 18g jena recable config for Ed 9s now

I'd love to do a comparison between v3, Silver dragon, Black dragon and the ALO option(s) for Ed 9s

Aug 29, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The weird thing is that I have heard my HD600 with Blutarsky's Silver Dragon cable and compared it to my APS V3 cables, and the Silver Dragon bass wasn't that much less that it made a big difference, just a small difference. It sounds like you lost more bass than I would have guessed would happen.

It may also have been that I switched to having it balanced. Single ended to balanced seems more likely to make a big difference than copper to silver. I just thought of silver as a nice tweak to top it off. Care to shed some light on this, Drew?

Don't get me wrong, these things still have PLENTY of bass. It just seems to be more controlled; ie, boomy bass=too much bass, tight bass=just right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back