Edition 8's Just Arrived!
Sep 25, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #17 of 57
How comfortable are they? The biggest issues I've had with Ultrasone HP's have been comfort, in the HFI line. Since these arent round, and shaped like the HFI line, I have been very skeptical about the comfort factor.

Sep 25, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #18 of 57
I would say that ED8 is very comfortable to me unless your ears are really big to fit into the cups.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just wondering, on my edition 8s.....the notches that hold the ear cup in a registered position are looser than I would expect. Is this normal?

That's very normal. Previously, I opened a few ED8 in store and all are the same.

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #20 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How comfortable are they? The biggest issues I've had with Ultrasone HP's have been comfort, in the HFI line. Since these arent round, and shaped like the HFI line, I have been very skeptical about the comfort factor.

I find them very comfortable. The only cans I like more for comfort are the STAX O2.

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #21 of 57
so..are they bass heavy cans? anyone can comment on the bass comparing to the denon AHD5000? I consider to upgrade to the ultrasons but want to keep the punchy bass heavy signature, just with more control than the denons.

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #22 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about 800 v. Ed8?

can anyone comment here.

I've listened both at the Munich High End 09. HD800 out of Violectric HPA V200 and Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear Headphone Amp, and E8 with the Phonitor. In my opinion there's no comparison between these cans. The sennheisers are far superior in every aspect - stage, detail, finess, balance, instrument separation, ... . No comparison. I don't even want to start with a more detailed one. But it's just my opinion! Many people here prefer the sound of E8. Those who like HD800 will not be excited by the ultrasones with their small headstage and the middle bass hump. It's more like k701 vs. HD650 comparison.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #23 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so..are they bass heavy cans? anyone can comment on the bass comparing to the denon AHD5000? I consider to upgrade to the ultrasons but want to keep the punchy bass heavy signature, just with more control than the denons.

I have not heard the D5000 but the Edition 8 has enough bas to significantly surpass the PS1K and GS1K in bass extension and articulation. The flat out blow my O2's off the shelf in the lower registers.

Sep 26, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #24 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I don't expect the amp to be anything special but hope the HE90's will be a cross between an O2 and an HE60.

The HEV90 is a very nice amp. I think the HE90 and HE60 both sound impressive with it.

Sep 26, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #25 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've listened both at the Munich High End 09. HD800 out of Violectric HPA V200 and Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear Headphone Amp, and E8 with the Phonitor. In my opinion there's no comparison between these cans. The sennheisers are far superior in every aspect - stage, detail, finess, balance, instrument separation, ... . No comparison. I don't even want to start with a more detailed one. But it's just my opinion! Many people here prefer the sound of E8. Those who like HD800 will not be excited by the ultrasones with their small headstage and the middle bass hump. It's more like k701 vs. HD650 comparison.
smily_headphones1.gif

interesting. thanks.

Sep 26, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #26 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about 800 v. Ed8?

can anyone comment here.

I own both, though I've owned the HD800 a ton longer......

The HD800 are sonically more neutral and overall a better sounding headphone, not substantially so. The soundstage is far superior, but the tonality on the Ed8 may be slightly better for some people.......Overall I've learned to love the Ed8 just as much because I can take it anywhere and it sounds like gold straight out of the iPod or a portable amp. For me, The Ed8 are the best headphone purchase I ever made. They isolate. I was listening to them on the train the other day and it was almost like having an IEM in my ear. The only problem is they cost an arm and a leg and you don't want to have them damaged or stolen, but as far as the best portable headphone in the world.......The Ed8 take the cake AND they are definitely comparable with much larger / more audiophile targeted headphones.

Sep 26, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #27 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HEV90 is a very nice amp. I think the HE90 and HE60 both sound impressive with it.

I hope to find out soon enough as I have heard very mixed reports...some say it is sensational, othersw say you can better it. Either way, it is MUCH better than the HEV70.
biggrin.gif
I am curious though how it will stand up to a STAX T2 design or one of the flagship tube designs.

If it does the trick, I will be thrilled as I have always loved looking at them.

Dec 2, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

But in this case the HD 800 is the K701 and ED 8 is the HD 650 with it´s mid bass hump and rolled off treble I suppose?

I have crap ears at the moment but it´s equal for all my audio gear I suppose. Have about 110h pink noise in them so far. They are quite familiar going from the Pro 900 but obviously their goal was to make something less aggressive and smoother. More for music listening perhaps then studio use. Bass does integrate better and have a better tone to it and the treble is indead softer. Quite a bit more forgiving then the Pro 900.

I am running it on a Goldpoint headphone Pro to make life easy. It´s an amp that controls the bass very well. May be a bit on the bright side if anything. The Pro 900 get a bit clinical and sometimes sibilant on it but seems to fit the ED 8 like a glove. I wouldn´t want to mate this with a bass heavy amp/source that´s for sure.

I do feel they are slightly claustrophobic compared to the Pro 900. Not sure how much it´s that it´s so much smaller so the drivers are maybe not as displaced? Or it´s the fact that they hug my ears to such degree. You are always aware of the ear cups though they aren´t as uncomfortable they should be regarding their size, clamping force and the fact they aren´t fully circumaural on my dumbo ears. The Pro 900 feels a bit more open with better soundstaging.

Pro 900 are a bit more all in these play safer. Certainly feels more even across the board.

Dec 2, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Edition 8's just arrived and WOW are they great.

So far they come closer to the balance of my speaker rig (Focal Grande Utopia) then any headphone I have tried.

For me too, comparing from memory to what I heard several times from monitor speakers in a broadcast studio.

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #30 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i briefly auditioned the E8 and the sound sig was not for me. i read somewhere that the ultrasone designers said that people will either love or hate the E8 depending on their head shape or ear shapes? cant really remember but i really want to like the E8 b/c it would be great to have a pair of portable hi-end headphones.
oh, so in answering ur question, i own AH-D7000s and the bass is much better on the denons than the E8. the E8 was probably a lot more neutral and maybe thats why they didnt excite me as much as the D7000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back