Edition 8's + class A amp = enough amplification?
Sep 28, 2009 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

musik_lover

Head-Fier
Hi again,

I'm rephrasing my original post. What I want to know is: Will a class A amplifier be sufficient to bring out the whole experience and power of the Ultrasone Edition 8 phones?

Sep 28, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 19
bump
smily_headphones1.gif

i know not many people own the edition 8's but somebody has to know if a class A amp is enough to bring out the edition 8's full potential.

Sep 28, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 19
If someone says no to your oversimplistic question, then what do you do? There's nothing higher up than class A.

Sep 28, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 19
It all depends on the Class A amp. I used my Phonitor on my Edition 8's and had enough power to blow them apart. I also used them on the headphone output of my MacBook Pro with no issues.

The ARE NOT power hungry or require a ton of power to do their bass magic. I would say the midrange and top end of your amp is going to be the most important thing to get the most out of these.

They are amazing cans!

Sep 28, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 19
Only Class S amps can perpetuate revolutionary dynamic equilibria and de-differentiate the magnetic components required to drive the streamlined tactile experience of the Edition 8's. It's also important to look for leveraged grain-free thresholds when using Class S components. You definitely don't want to blow the robust Vbe matched drivers, they cost a bundle.

EK

Sep 29, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 19
I don't have ed8 but I have pro 900 which might have comparable drivers. With stock cable it's possible to quickly get to a point of diminishing returns with mid-fi gear, but after recabling and balancing the pro 900 it laughs at the most difficult songs and doesn't appear to ever skip a beat or lose separation even though my amp is manhandling it with way too much bass on pop songs and even more abusive atmospheric sound effects from electronic music.

Sep 29, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only Class S amps can perpetuate revolutionary dynamic equilibria and de-differentiate the magnetic components required to drive the streamlined tactile experience of the Edition 8's. It's also important to look for leveraged grain-free thresholds when using Class S components. You definitely don't want to blow the robust Vbe matched drivers, they cost a bundle.

EK

Ok, so I need a class S amp with all the specs you mentioned. I never (in my life) bought, owned, or used a headphone amp. Do you have a particualr brand/model of amp that fits the necessary requirements you explained?

Sep 29, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by musik_lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so I need a class S amp with all the specs you mentioned. I never (in my life) bought, owned, or used a headphone amp. Do you have a particualr brand/model of amp that fits the necessary requirements you explained?

That was a joke, kiddo.

Sep 29, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have ed8 but I have pro 900 which might have comparable drivers. With stock cable it's possible to quickly get to a point of diminishing returns with mid-fi gear, but after recabling and balancing the pro 900 it laughs at the most difficult songs and doesn't appear to ever skip a beat or lose separation even though my amp is manhandling it with way too much bass on pop songs and even more abusive atmospheric sound effects from electronic music.

You don't own the phones, you've never heard them, and you don't know how close, if close at all your frame of reference actually is.

Nuff said.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #13 of 19
Captain obvious, someone who has heard both pro 900 and edition 8 could help clarify the relationship if he felt it was necessary. If you have heard both and want to disagree with me why don't you instead of being so rude? Also there's no point to disagree if you tried using your gray matter you'd understand why I gave my experience with the pro 900, the edition 8 should naturally be superior to the pro 900 (unless you want to disagree here?), in which case it would likely be like my pro 900 in the sense that it's very hard to fully utilize its potential once recabled. Other people have said they don't really like the stock Ultrasone cables and I think it is a real bottleneck which should be considered when talking about things like what sort of gear will do it Ultrasones justice.

Sep 29, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #14 of 19
haloxt, I think the point the duggeh was trying to make is that the op came for specific advice about a very specific headphone and a specific type of amp. You don't have the headphones he's asking about, have not heard the headphones he's talking about, yet post advice about recabling and balancing of a completely different headphone to a new member, and suggest there are similarities between the two, which is mere speculation on your part. It's not helpful, and could be potentially very confusing to the op, depending on his prior knowledge. I've heard seven different Ultrasone headphones, including the Edition 8, and owned one. There are significant differences between the higher and lower models, and even between similarly priced models, and although I'm not familiar with the Pro 900, I would never be so presumptuous as to make a comparison, especially in order to offer advice, without actually having experienced what the heck I'm talking about.

It's also extremely disrespectful for you to shoot out insults like "Captain obvious" and "if you tried using your gray matter" simply because a member pointed out what is, in fact, obvious. I'm going to ask that you refrain from making such comments or in that tone from here on out.

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #15 of 19
to address the op, yes, class A can have enough power to drive pretty much anything. However, that is down to the amp design, not operating mode. Amp classes are operational classes, not an alphabetical ranking and class A is just one class but not necessarily a particular design or guarantee of quality, just a way of working.

Some people really like class A operation, but there are many, many designs, good and bad in that category so in absolute terms it really means nothing as regards sound. You should find a decently regarded amp whatever class it is and chances are it will have enough power to drive headphones if it's a headphone amp worth the name.

you have no real frame of reference and whatever you get will be in all likelihood the best you'll have heard. Don't expect miracles from an amp or you'll be letting yourself get set for a fall. Also, no matter what you get there will be endless doubts over your choice because people in here just love to slaver over whatever new toy they got.

Find something decent and be happy until you get the chance to do some comparisons, at that time you can make a more informed choice and go from there. These forums are full of 'latest and greatest' and the 'for sale' forums are where a lot of it ends up so don't take anything as gospel.

Asking for a recommendation in here is as useful as playing pin the donkey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back