Edition 8 questions
Mar 17, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #16 of 41
Mine sounded good straight away. I suppose it helps coming from the 900 and being familiar with the soundstaging. On the other hand I had a major cold during the first weeks with it. Though dunno if that would actually help first impressions lol

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #17 of 41
I find that using headphones while having a cold helps in getting major headache not so sure about it helping with first impression though.
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #18 of 41
Well, I got my edition 8's
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll wait a couple weeks to post my final conclusions, but they are pretty impressive out of the box. The highs are smoother and more refined than my HFI-780's which have a couple hundred hours on them. Build quality is excellent. The leather is very soft. The ear cups are surprisingly a tad smaller than the HFI-780. Thankfully, my ears do fit all the way inside. There is less clamping force than the HFI-780. They are very comfortable. Oh yeah, and they aren't bass light by any stretch of imagination. Or bass monsters either, just right so far it seems.
happy_face1.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #19 of 41
I am interested in a pair of ED 8 also. I had a pair of ALO-HFI-780 and liked it and also knows the sound signature. Can you share with me if the ED 8 is just a more refine version of the 780 yet retain the 780 signature? The 780 that I remembered was quite forward, solid and punchy but not as refine. But given the difference in price, I hope it is more than just smoother and refine in the treble. Thanks.

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #20 of 41
When I bought ed8 I hoped it will be "like 900 but better". I was wrong. Ed8 is an entirely different beast, you just can't compare them. They write that ed8 is not a step up but rather re-thinking of previous ultrasone "ideology". So if you expect it to be "like 780 but better", it won't. It is a DIFFERENT thing entirely and you will need some time to adapt to it and get used and be able to understand and truely appreciate what ed8 can offer. So, my advice is - don't judge it compared to other phones. Give it several days of listening to reveal what it is all about, then you will be rewarded. And don't forget - 300 hours or burn-in is a must, before any serious listening.

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by abyrvalg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I bought ed8 I hoped it will be "like 900 but better". I was wrong. Ed8 is an entirely different beast, you just can't compare them. They write that ed8 is not a step up but rather re-thinking of previous ultrasone "ideology". So if you expect it to be "like 780 but better", it won't. It is a DIFFERENT thing entirely and you will need some time to adapt to it and get used and be able to understand and truely appreciate what ed8 can offer. So, my advice is - don't judge it compared to other phones. Give it several days of listening to reveal what it is all about, then you will be rewarded. And don't forget - 300 hours or burn-in is a must, before any serious listening.

I agree hundred percent. If it was supposed to be an upgrade to the KeeS modded Pro 900 Ultrasone failed. But it´s quite good showing "the other side" so to speak so you have to judge it by different standards
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by stocklaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in my case the open box ED8 have more bass than after 200 hours, but the bass sound much better after run in. The bass in ED8 is great that it do not affect the highs ans mids. It keep the clarity with providing deep and fast bass. However I never enjoy hard rock or metal music.

This is exactly the way I would put it. The bass right out of the box was more boomy, while still mainting control. As the headhpone plays longer and longer, the bass booms a bit less. It's really like you just dialed back your sub a bit. They still boom and put out plenty of bass. The nice thing about these as this poster said, the bass never overwhelms the mids and highs.

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is exactly the way I would put it. The bass right out of the box was more boomy, while still mainting control. As the headhpone plays longer and longer, the bass booms a bit less. It's really like you just dialed back your sub a bit. They still boom and put out plenty of bass. The nice thing about these as this poster said, the bass never overwhelms the mids and highs.

I thought the same thing until I put aside the Ed8's for a spell and played with the K702's. Upon re-listening to the Ed8's, the bass was back to their usual heavy self prior to thinking things were more tamed.
smily_headphones1.gif
Acclimatization is such a strong factor that it's very difficult to confidently claim where the boundary between physical burn-in and sensory acclimatization resides.

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am interested in a pair of ED 8 also. I had a pair of ALO-HFI-780 and liked it and also knows the sound signature. Can you share with me if the ED 8 is just a more refine version of the 780 yet retain the 780 signature? The 780 that I remembered was quite forward, solid and punchy but not as refine. But given the difference in price, I hope it is more than just smoother and refine in the treble. Thanks.

The difference in treble is just something that struck me as my Ed 8 is brand new out of the box where my HFI-780 has probably 300-400 hours on it. As the others have said, I really should give them some burn in time before making any solid comparisons.

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

"If you cannot compare it and it is a different thing entirely", Without buying it and hear it for myself, how do you describe it? How can I get a feel vacariously. Eventhough the sound signature may not like ED9 or 780, but is ED 8 just as good as the top phones though may have a total different feel to it? Is it worth the price it is asking? Aesthetically, I can look at a picture and decide for myself, but sq wise, can you help with some description? Like is it a natural phone, or is it colored? or is it artificial? is it balance throughout the frequency range? is it transparent? is it bright like the grado phone? is it forward or is it lay back like the HD600? is the sound stage accurate? or is it squashed? Is it musical or is it dry? Sorry about all the questions, just want to have some cheap thrills without spending the $1700.00
k701smile.gif
and thanks for sharing.

Mar 23, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"If you cannot compare it and it is a different thing entirely", Without buying it and hear it for myself, how do you describe it? How can I get a feel vacariously. Eventhough the sound signature may not like ED9 or 780, but is ED 8 just as good as the top phones though may have a total different feel to it? Is it worth the price it is asking? Aesthetically, I can look at a picture and decide for myself, but sq wise, can you help with some description? Like is it a natural phone, or is it colored? or is it artificial? is it balance throughout the frequency range? is it transparent? is it bright like the grado phone? is it forward or is it lay back like the HD600? is the sound stage accurate? or is it squashed? Is it musical or is it dry? Sorry about all the questions, just want to have some cheap thrills without spending the $1700.00
k701smile.gif
and thanks for sharing.

When I wrote "don't compare" I meant "immediately". Like, take one off, put another on and compare. That's not the right way. You should by all means try different phones to educate yourself and get a feeling of what you want to get.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for "is it worth $1700" - it is a very personal question and it depends on what is your attitude towards money and your general financial situation. For me it is definitely wort it, for others may be not.

As for other questions, it will be quite subjective, because everybody has own ideas of what is right in the sound. I would say it is balanced, more than 900. It is rather transparent and have good soundstage for closed phones. I prefer it much more than 800's which to me sound boring. Ed 8 is definitely very musical, that is what I love about them.

In general I must say that I have spent more on "cheaper solutions" than I would have spent if I bought top stuff right from the start. But on the other hand - how would I know what to buy if I would not try this and that? So for me, Ed8 is the end of the road, unless Ultrasone make yet another and better phones. The thing about Ed8 is that they are the most non-audiophile headphones I have even heard. With ed8 you just don't listen to the SOUND, but to the music and you enjoy it. I came to the point when I really don't want to make anything better. Yeah, I still have a couple of things to build like my new mega power enchancer etc, but I often ask myself - why bother? Can I make the SOUND better? Sure I can, but I really enjoy it as it is, and I simply don't NEED to make it better.
smily_headphones1.gif
So, I think I have cured of audiophilia, and Ed8 was one of the reasons why.

I have to admit that I have recabled it yesterday with whiplash audio twag cable. But I had really really press myself hard to do it, because I was CONTENT already. I feel I am done, and I have never had that feeing before with the other stuff I used to have. I don't even want to compare ed8, to analyze the sound, I just enjoy the music. I know all this is very subjective but - well, with ed8, that's how it is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #27 of 41
Well I has thought about posting some kind of review of my headphones... But I just complicated things by getting a DAC19 so I am back to square zero again lol.

What are you looking for going from the 780? what annoys you with your current setup. What do you want for your next purchase? Is portability really that important or is 50$ ear buds perhaps sufficient for that task? I can´t enjoy music as much on the go as when at home anyway. to high stress levels I suppose.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

You should by all means try different phones to educate yourself and get a feeling of what you want to get.
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course, that goes without saying. But I still like to hear the opinion of others and that is the purpose of coming to headfi. Otherwise we won't need a place like this.

Quote:

I have to admit that I have recabled it yesterday with whiplash audio twag cable. But I had really really press myself hard to do it, because I was CONTENT already. I feel I am done, and I have never had that feeing before with the other stuff I used to have. I don't even want to compare ed8, to analyze the sound, I just enjoy the music. I know all this is very subjective but - well, with ed8, that's how it is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you do it in balance or SE? Thanks for the feedback though.
smile.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you looking for going from the 780? what annoys you with your current setup. What do you want for your next purchase? Is portability really that important or is 50$ ear buds perhaps sufficient for that task? I can´t enjoy music as much on the go as when at home anyway. to high stress levels I suppose.

I am just wanting to have different phones for differnt mood and settings. I sold the 780 which I like at times but I want something more refined. I am happy with my current setup, no problem there, but if I can find something better I'll go for it. I am not unfamiliar with good phones but just always want to look out for something different or better. I have/had the followings: HD800, GS1000, HD600, ESW10jpn, ALO-780, UE10rpos, JH13, ER4s, UE TF10 etc. The ED 8 seems like a great closed can with good looks and feel. That is why I am curios about the SQ. The ED 9 to me is just a tad better than my ALO-780, more refined so to speak but not 4X the price better. That is why I am not interested in the ED 9. Thanks.

There are some psot that says teh ED 8 has plenty of Bass, and there are others that says ED 9has more bass. So hard to get concensus on bass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back