Edition 8 questions
Mar 7, 2010 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

stuckonsound

100+ Head-Fier
I've read some strange conflicting information on the Ultrasone Edition 8. Particularly there seems to be two different opinions on it's bass. How does the Edition 8 compare to the lower Ultrasone models in terms of bass. I have the HFI-780, which I think has strong well controlled bass. I can't imagine the Edition 8 as being bass shy, but a few have suggested such. If anyone who has or has heard both Ed. 8 and HFI-780 could compare I would appreciate it. I have placed an order for the Ed. 8, but I won't get it for about two weeks. I'm just hoping I won't be disappointed, as I've sold some goods and spent some serious coin for these.

Mar 7, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 41
some people need more bass then others depending on preference and what music they listen to.

I haven´t heard the HFI-780 but the Edition 8 have significantly less bass then the Pro 900/HD 650. I wouldn´t say it´s bass light though about right most of the time. Doesn´t Ultrasone still have the return policy active?

If you want something more bass centric you could try the DX 1000 if you want a more bass focused sound.

Mar 7, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 41
What return policy are you talking about? I tried to return my ed8 but the shop didnt want it back
frown.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 41
Mine had a 42 day return policy active. Was from an authorized reseller though. I never used it so don´t know if you should send it to Ultrasone or if it was some specific offer from that store?

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 41
Mine was also from an authorized reseller. There was no special offer on it. Did the store tell you about the 42days return policy or was it in the box?

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 41
It was mentioned on the product page so it may be some special for just that store? I read the same in an Edition 8 review though so I thought it was something sanctioned by Ultrasone? Maybe only for early adopters?

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 41
Hmm probably. Anyway I' m starting to appreciate my ed8 a bit more so I guess it wasn't such a bad thing that I couldn't return them so fast
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 41
The place I'm buying mine from won't allow you to return headphones, but they had a pretty good sale on all their headphones so I went with them. I'm not really looking for a bass centric headphone, but I don't want something like a K701 either. That headphone had accurate reproduction and good extension in bass range, but it was light and not exactly full bodied (if that's the right term).

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 41
in my case the open box ED8 have more bass than after 200 hours, but the bass sound much better after run in. The bass in ED8 is great that it do not affect the highs ans mids. It keep the clarity with providing deep and fast bass. However I never enjoy hard rock or metal music.

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by stocklaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in my case the open box ED8 have more bass than after 200 hours, but the bass sound much better after run in. The bass in ED8 is great that it do not affect the highs ans mids. It keep the clarity with providing deep and fast bass.

I agree with this - the Ed 8 have a lot of bass weight, but it's very well controlled, and doesn't impact clarity in any way. The Ed 8 are really nice cans. I've been using them a lot lately with my Leben CS300X, and the combination is terrific. The Ed 8 have surprised me pleasantly - they are terrific.

FWIW I cannot imagine anyone thinking the Ed 8 did not have enough bass, unless you were a SERIOUS basshead.

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with this - the Ed 8 have a lot of bass weight, but it's very well controlled, and doesn't impact clarity in any way. The Ed 8 are really nice cans. I've been using them a lot lately with my Leben CS300X, and the combination is terrific. The Ed 8 have surprised me pleasantly - they are terrific.

FWIW I cannot imagine anyone thinking the Ed 8 did not have enough bass, unless you were a SERIOUS basshead.

I fully agree here. If the Ed8's had more bass, I'd no longer like them the way I currently do. I have an HD650 on my head now and the Ed8's definitely have more bass in quantity, clarity and extension.

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #12 of 41
Only time the ED 8 sounds weak down there are when listening to long on the DX 1000 and jump straightly to my Ultrasones. Takes some 4 minutes of agony thinking if the ED 8s drivers are broken until they sound normal again. But otherwise no. Wonder if Ultrasone actually listened to all us Pro 900 bass boost must KeeS mod whiners when they developed the Edition 8. Unlike the 900 and DX 1000 I never stumple upon recordings where bass overtake the mids in any way. Price is it can feel slightly over damped at times but it´s great since I have other headphones that fixes that
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only time the ED 8 sounds weak down there are when listening to long on the DX 1000 and jump straightly to my Ultrasones.

... and there ended what little interest I may have had in the DX1000.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuckonsound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I won't be disappointed.
atsmile.gif

Yes, but don`t judge after 200-300 hours. Sound will have a great change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back