Edition 8 and AKG 701/2 owners anywhere?
Jan 27, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #46 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like the soundstage of your ED 8 try the Pro 900 too. It beats the DT 770 Pro and K701 regarding soundstage. K701 does have a bit more air though but it´s very subtle. Haven´t heard the 990 it should be a bit better then the 770.

900 is closed but have an open signature. One of the reason I love them so much. Isolation plus air and as mentioned very impressive soundstage with my ears.

Nice as portables if you switch the cable too if you are in hostile environments where you don´t want to risk your ED 8s or just happen to preferr the 900
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the suggestion! I will have to look into the 900s.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #47 of 63
You really bother me Tiltman, and i dont necessarily mean that as an insult though.

you JUST got your Ed 8's, why not learn to love them before spending more and more and more? The best part about headphones is using them, and learning their sound. Your fairly new to headphones, get use to your Ed 8's, learn what to look for in sound and learn what you enjoy. Get a decent amp and source, see how the different components change/improve the sound. Dont just go out and get MORE headphones, it seems like such a waste.

then again, maybe im just jealous that youve got all this money to spend and i dont.

whatever.

(im sorry for all the edits, i was getting all confused
biggrin.gif
too many tabs open)

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #48 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by mildewonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really bother me Tiltman, and i dont necessarily mean that as an insult though.

you JUST got your Ed 8's, why not learn to love them before spending more and more and more? The best part about headphones is using them, and learning their sound. Your fairly new to headphones, get use to your Ed 8's, learn what to look for in sound and learn what you enjoy. Get a decent amp and source, see how the different components change/improve the sound. Dont just go out and get MORE headphones, it seems like such a waste.

then again, maybe im just jealous that youve got all this money to spend and i dont.

whatever.

(im sorry for all the edits, i was getting all confused
biggrin.gif
too many tabs open)

I am the type of person who likes to get everything upfront and not have to worry about buying things later. I have a good amp already and my source is fine for what i want it to be. Also if i wanted to waste my money, i would have no need to seek advice from Head-Fi.

P.S. I don't take offense in your first comment.
smile_phones.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #49 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiltman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am the type of person who likes to get everything upfront and not have to worry about buying things later. I have a good amp already and my source is fine for what i want it to be. Also if i wanted to waste my money, i would have no need to seek advice from Head-Fi.

P.S. I don't take offense in your first comment.
smile_phones.gif

but when you get everything at once, can you really learn to appreciate any of it? I feel like if you instantly go and get the best you lose some of the joys of headphones.

then again, if i had a huge wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket, i dont know what id do.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #50 of 63
This seems like Tiltman's first wave. I had my first wave after which I did discover a lot of what I liked and didn't like. Nowadays, my purchases are more considered and direct, rather than too experimental.

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #51 of 63
I admit that part of my personality is very compulsive. Every hobby that i have done, i have done with no consideration for moderation. It could be worse. I could be adddicted to home audio, causing much financial distress. Fortunately that is not the case. I can assure you once i have picked out this next headphone, you guys won't hear from me for a while regarding any further purchases.

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #52 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiltman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can assure you once i have picked out this next headphone, you guys won't hear from me for a while regarding any further purchases.

Bwahahaha....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yeah... right.

Soon, we will have to be saying "sorry 'bout the wallet".....even though the pocket does seem a tad deep.

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #53 of 63
Absolutely no faith in the newbie. Just wait and see! Anyhow, off to order my AKG-701. Hopefully i can still overnight it so i can get it tomorrow. Hopefully tonight i can spend a couple of hours listening to the Edition 8s.

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #54 of 63
Any news on those magnums aimlink? I searched the forums but didn't find anything.

If you get some time, and have them, please share some impressions especially vs old sr325i, rsi, and if you have more time your ed 8 and k701.

Thanks!

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #55 of 63
Last summer I bought both the MDR SA5k, and the K701. I regretted buying two sets of headphones so close together. The SA5K greatly impressed me, and the K701 I guess due to initial impressions kind of got left behind.

I had a great time with the SA5K then I wanted to upgrade or sidegrade in december and settled on a pair of Ultrasone pro 750. I also bought a pair of XB700 which I am very unimpressed with.

I am happy I got to listen to so many phones, but I regret getting so many, so close together, because prior to that, I had two solid years with my SR325i of bliss, then a year of 95% senn HD 600, and after that I had 2x the cans in 1/6 of the time. I do not know any of those headphones anywhere near as well as I know the SR325i and the HD600.

Regardless of what you would like to think, I would argue it is not a very good way to go about things. I have made a mistake, due in part to lust, compulsion, and of course upgradeitis, but I have learned my lesson.

I now am waiting for my romance with the pro750 to wear off, and leave me educated, and I will return to the K701 to learn it's ways before upgrading.

Pro 900 is probably my goal. Maybe HD800/T1/Ed8 if I run into a ton of money. I think I will keep the three "game enders" for later, so I can enjoy more headphones over a longer period of time.

Heck I'm 19, not only am incredibly spoiled by myself, and lucky, I have many years of audio bliss ahead of me, and I am already nearing the 1000$+ phone stage in the game
biggrin.gif

As people will say time and time again: Listen to your music, not your equipment. Unfortunately, in the hifi arena, that is ironically enough, one of the hardest things to do.

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #56 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any news on those magnums aimlink? I searched the forums but didn't find anything.

If you get some time, and have them, please share some impressions especially vs old sr325i, rsi, and if you have more time your ed 8 and k701.

Thanks!

I've been underwhelmed by my new Magnums. I guess I'm reaching that stage where I don't go overboard and rejoice about small differences. Some here call it liberation. Some here look on with pity.... 'the poor fella can't hear the wonderful difference.'
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, the Magnum thread is here and you can browse the last few pages for impressions and photos.

My memory of the original 325is is too long ago. I'd not rely on it.

I don't have an RS1, but and RS2i. I posted in the Magnum thread a comparision between the Magnums and the RS2i. I find them to be VERY similar.
redface.gif
I'm already getting comments about my gear being the reason.
k701smile.gif

My Ed8's? My ALO K702's are definitely on par with them. They compliment each other in a nice way. The ALO K702's are becoming my default can and interestingly wherever they fall short with a particular recording, the Ed8's do a much better job. However, when the ALO K702's really shine, I prefer them to the Ed8's. However, with all that's said, do note that this is coming from someone who thinks his Magnums are very similar in sound to the RS2i's while other Magnum owners feel that they're better than the RS1, similar in detail retrieval to the HD800's and similar in sound to the HP-2. Suddenly, with a Magnum, I'm no longer feeling a strong urge to upgrade. My ears may well not appreciate the expenditure/improvements ratio.

Liberation? Deafness?

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #57 of 63
Deafness is a valid excuse get out of the high fidelity race and just enjoy music surely... I have had a lot of colds lately. Got some minor set back on my right ear but the good thing is I still enjoyed music a lot. Even with totally skewed stereo image due to 70 % deaf on left and 90 % deaf on right ear at worst. So I am not all to worried about getting older and get crap ears.

I am quite bad bitten though DX 1000 on it´s way but it´s the last unless I decide to trade gear. Won´t promise anything though
tongue.gif
It´s going to compete with the ED 8 as my fun phone in the stable. Speakers for dead serious neutral sound and natural soundstage. Pro 900 due to their magic mid range, amazing soundstage by headphone standards, detail retrieval and hopefully being able to equalize away some low bass with my behringer DEQ2496.

What I do like about hte ED 8 even though the 900 have a much higher ceiling. K701 should also have it by memory is that it´s pretty much always musical and interesting to listen to whatever you throw at it. Very coherent sound I suppose it takes a lot to get recordings that bombard your ears with basss or sharp treble or anything. Con of that is that they seldom impress but it´s what it´s can´t have it both.

They are closed and coloured but not to the extreme that you get to focus to much on all the weirdness going on.

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #58 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been underwhelmed by my new Magnums. I guess I'm reaching that stage where I don't go overboard and rejoice about small differences. Some here call it liberation. Some here look on with pity.... 'the poor fella can't hear the wonderful difference.'
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, the Magnum thread is here and you can browse the last few pages for impressions and photos.

My memory of the original 325is is too long ago. I'd not rely on it.

I don't have an RS1, but and RS2i. I posted in the Magnum thread a comparision between the Magnums and the RS2i. I find them to be VERY similar.
redface.gif
I'm already getting comments about my gear being the reason.
k701smile.gif

My Ed8's? My ALO K702's are definitely on par with them. They compliment each other in a nice way. The ALO K702's are becoming my default can and interestingly wherever they fall short with a particular recording, the Ed8's do a much better job. However, when the ALO K702's really shine, I prefer them to the Ed8's. However, with all that's said, do note that this is coming from someone who thinks his Magnums are very similar in sound to the RS2i's while other Magnum owners feel that they're better than the RS1, similar in detail retrieval to the HD800's and similar in sound to the HP-2. Suddenly, with a Magnum, I'm no longer feeling a strong urge to upgrade. My ears may well not appreciate the expenditure/improvements ratio.

Liberation? Deafness?

Or maybe they just aren't used to REAL high end headphones like the ED8 and K702, and its not as big of a deal for you? :p who knows. Thanks for the link.

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #60 of 63
Hrm. Interesting. I have been reading through the thread. Not sure it is enough to entice me to try it once I have money. They do look very classy though! Do you miss your original 325i?

Also, your ALO K702, that is a re-cable, Correct? Is is single or double sided?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back