EDIT: Hisound Audio to Release New DAP Product-Line (NOVA with micro SD card support)
Mar 16, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #872 of 1,083
The Wooduo preset has too much bass for me.

I'm not sure if such a small player is intended to drive full size headphones...
But according to what I've just read the V-MODA M-100 should usually have a lot of bass even with standard consumer grade players (like an iPhone without additional amp).

I've also read that the V-MODA M-100 has two different bass modes.

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #873 of 1,083
Hey folks, I could get around to renaming all the folders into English, then create a new set of zip files based on these renamed-in-English folders... then re-upload to dropbox.

Edit: N1 and N3 firmware upgrade 2013-03-09 links on dropbox. Folder names have been renamed into English.

N1:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37333043/Hisound_N1_Firmware_Upgrade_Instructions.docx

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37333043/Hisound-NOVA-H281-XZ1236-20130309-N1_Firmware_Upgrade_Toolbox.zip

N3:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37333043/Hisound_N3_Firmware_Upgrade_Instructions.docx

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37333043/NOVA-H281-XZ1236-20130309-N3_Firmware_Upgrade_Toolbox.zip

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #875 of 1,083
My Win 8 x64 also crashed after updating the firmware...

If Hisound wants to extend their business towards the mass market, they'll need to ship their players with almost bug free software and updating the firmware will have to be much more easy...

If the screen is grey after starting the player: wait till it automatically turns off (screensaver) it should work afterwards.

I still think that the new N3 firmware on N1 sounds better than the (old and new) N1 firmwares (HSA V2.0 vs. HSA V1.0). In addition to reversed channels there seems to be a little more detail and clarity.
The different sound signatures between N1 and N3 should therefore not only be caused by different amps, but also by a different software.

My friend has both N1 and N3, he says the same thing. N1 and N3 can sound almost identical when using the same firmware. I have N3 and Teclast X30. Next week I will flash X30 with N3 firmware and compare them. Finger crossed, X30 will not be bricked.

Mar 16, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #876 of 1,083
I'm sure they are different. The old RoCoo and Studio FWs were cross platform but the players never sounded identical though sometimes got closer. Studio dynamic FW was quite good on the RoCoo ba for instance but it was never quite as good as the Studio. Perhaps the x30 may be improved with some HiSound mojo since they start with the same soc platform but it wont be a HiSound. ClieOs has already hinted that the output impedance of the n3 is around 1.5 ohms which is EXTREMELY unlikely for the x30.

I remember Hisound getting this kind of doubt in the past. I opened my studio and it looks like there's a single transistor on both l+r outputs after the opamp. Class A? I may try a minor mod in that area at some point.

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #877 of 1,083
I'm sure they are different. The old RoCoo and Studio FWs were cross platform but the players never sounded identical though sometimes got closer. Studio dynamic FW was quite good on the RoCoo ba for instance but it was never quite as good as the Studio. Perhaps the x30 may be improved with some HiSound mojo since they start with the same soc platform but it wont be a HiSound. ClieOs has already hinted that the output impedance of the n3 is around 1.5 ohms which is EXTREMELY unlikely for the x30.

I remember Hisound getting this kind of doubt in the past. I opened my studio and it looks like there's a single transistor on both l+r outputs after the opamp. Class A? I may try a minor mod in that area at some point.

Class A is certainly not. Many said the difference between Studio and Rocoo P is minimun, some disagreed. We can hear and feel differently, but scientific terms should be precise. Let's just leave it as that.

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #878 of 1,083
Quote:
My Win 8 x64 also crashed after updating the firmware...

If Hisound wants to extend their business towards the mass market, they'll need to ship their players with almost bug free software and updating the firmware will have to be much more easy...

Obviously, they don't. As a proud owner of their first audiophile DAP, checking back in on a Hisound thread after 4 years, I can tell nothing has changed. Things still start out with great enthusiasm and peter out into firmware discussions a few months later.

Seems like it's been working out for them this way since 2009, so I wouldn't get my hopes up too high...
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #879 of 1,083
Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Class A is certainly not. Many said the difference between Studio and Rocoo P is minimun, some disagreed. We can hear and feel differently, but scientific terms should be precise. Let's just leave it as that.

I know you're not a fan of HiSound but a single transistor in line would point to that last stage being so. Output stage looked like an opamp section followed by a coupling cap to a single transistor direct coupled to the output. Can't make a single device a/b. I'll post a pic if I open it again. It was cursory other than making sure it was in series as described with an ohmmeter so I wont insist. I personally don't care if it is or not but that is what it looked like.

I owned both Rocoo-P and Studio at the same time and tried all the FW on both. There is no comparison between my Anniversary 3 to either of the Rocoo Ps I owned. The BA I auditioned while still owning both the Studio and -P was between them in performance.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but I'd be more interested in your personal take than what you've heard or read from others.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #880 of 1,083
Quote:

Obviously, they don't. As a proud owner of their first audiophile DAP, checking back in on a Hisound thread after 4 years, I can tell nothing has changed. Things still start out with great enthusiasm and peter out into firmware discussions a few months later.

Seems like it's been working out for them this way since 2009, so I wouldn't get my hopes up too high...
wink.gif

Fair enough. I still enjoy my Anv 3
bigsmile_face.gif
 I don't think I would have cared much for their early DAPs either..

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #881 of 1,083
Quote:
Class A is certainly not. Many said the difference between Studio and Rocoo P is minimum, some disagreed. We can hear and feel differently, but scientific terms should be precise. Let's just leave it as that.

I found the difference between the Rocoo BA (which is an upgrade over the P) and the Studio V to be quite noticeable. Enough so that I'd feel disappointed/underwhelmed when comparing them. The Studio is clearly superior to it IMO. Not to mention there is significantly more power on the Studio as well. In fact the synergy of this unit is so good on my current setup that I sold my DX100 and don't regret it at all. I'm more so looking forward to the updated model, the Master, and possibly a Tera Player.

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #882 of 1,083
I found the difference between the Rocoo BA (which is an upgrade over the Ba) and the Studio V to be quite noticeable. Enough so that I'd feel disappointed/underwhelmed when comparing them. The Studio is clearly superior to it IMO. Not to mention there is significantly more power on the Studio as well.

Rocoo P and Rocoo BA sound quite different. Your view on Rocoo BA and Studio V is certainly in-line with others.

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #883 of 1,083
Quote:
Rocoo P and Rocoo BA sound quite different. Your view on Rocoo BA and Studio V is certainly in-line with others.

What I'm doubting or more so eluding to is I don't see the Rocoo P competing with the Studio V, especially if the BA doesn't. I think goodvibes owns a Rocoo P as well so it would be interesting to hear his thoughts.

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #884 of 1,083
Someone wants to see a picture of my N3 and X30. Here you have it.
N3 is a bit longer and thicker than X30. I wrapped Invisible Shield around N3 to reduce the sensitiveness of the touch pad. Because I found I accidently adjusted the volume or stopped the song playing. Although I can use Lock button, sometimes I just don't like the extra unlock step. The control pad on X30 is clickable, less accident prone.

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #885 of 1,083
I hate the location of the lock switch. If I'm using one hand to slide it into lock, I always accidentally press the record button on the other side. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back