EDIT: Hisound Audio to Release New DAP Product-Line (NOVA with micro SD card support)
Mar 5, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #766 of 1,083
It prolly wont come at all, i dont think the player can read tags at all. Should see my review of it, i came from an ipod user or android or most stuff that have tag based browsing,  so i guess you can relate to that review

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #767 of 1,083
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I think it sounds phenomenal, especially with my 7X (which in my understanding has a very similar sig to the 8.A). But I'm so used to navigating my music by artist and album on iDevices, and even Sansas. If this player doesn't gain that functionality, I just can't see myself keeping it.

Yeah I guess I understand where you are coming from. I'm accustomed to using Playlists or Folder view. I don't waste time browsing via albums or artists. I make a folder for the specific tracks I want including artists (all done in playlist format which also creates a separate folder at the same time reflecting the playlists actual name, automated via media monkey sync). If I have multiple albums of that artist I make extra folders within that artist's folder to reflect the album itself (but for automated synching I'll just created more than one playlists to reflect the artists name - album title. I've always found this much more convenient and faster to access than the other menus :). Different strokes for different folks. I'm just a control freak.

Even on my iphone4 I just synced 3,500 mp3s to the device via playlists. I never bother with the other options.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #768 of 1,083
Yeah, I have a mac so I use iTunes. Everything is so neat and tidy in my library, with album artwork, tags, metadata, etc. But I can see how you would like it if you don't do that. I like to listen to full albums so I rarely, if ever, sync playlists with lone songs.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #769 of 1,083
Quote:
Yeah, I have a mac so I use iTunes. Everything is so neat and tidy in my library, with album artwork, tags, metadata, etc. But I can see how you would like it if you don't do that. I like to listen to full albums so I rarely, if ever, sync playlists with lone songs.

Thing is anoxy I do both albums in playlist format (if I want an entire album) or if I want a bunch of favorite songs mixed together in a playlist in the specific order I want them. For example Ozzy - Diary Of a Madman, Favorite Rock 01, Favorite 80s 15. Etc. :) I also have my library neatly tagged with album art as well in mostly FLAC. Media Monkey is the bomb. I only use itunes for synching the iphone. I actually have a file extension which allows me to synch my playlists from Media Monkey directly onto itunes. Then I was able to transfer my playlists over to the iphone. Still a waste of time but it does the trick since I can no longer detect the iphone4 on Media Monkey (due to apples stupid updates).

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #770 of 1,083
I see. Maybe I'll give that a shot this week when I have some time. 

I agree with you about volume though, too loud! I'm at 1 with my 7X and I could probably listen comfortably at a lower volume.

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #771 of 1,083
Quote:
I see. Maybe I'll give that a shot this week when I have some time. 

I agree with you about volume though, too loud! I'm at 1 with my 7X and I could probably listen comfortably at a lower volume.

It also depends on track but for general listening, its a no go. I could easily fix the issue by putting it on EQ Flat but it just sounds well, so flat lol :). The Hifi preset is a bit too cramped in the sound staging (lacks width) while the HSA seems to be the happy medium. Strangely enough the 8A sounds amazing on the Wooduo preset.  I guess since both are bassy IEMs it would make sense :p.

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #772 of 1,083
So lee,  you are using media monkey to sync playlist into the nova?  For some odd reason the song were not in the correct order after i sync them with mediamonkey to my n1, i am using the default setting

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #773 of 1,083
It also depends on track but for general listening, its a no go. I could easily fix the issue by putting it on EQ Flat but it just sounds well, so flat lol :). The Hifi preset is a bit too cramped in the sound staging (lacks width) while the HSA seems to be the happy medium. Strangely enough the 8A sounds amazing on the Wooduo preset.  I guess since both are bassy IEMs it would make sense :p.

Hmm, so you're saying the N1 doesn't sound as good set flat? You need the EQ's? I'm not sure I'm keen on that idea. usually with most of these focused DAP's any of the EQ's sound terrible, mainly because flat is how they're designed. (like C3)

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #774 of 1,083
Quote:
Hmm, so you're saying the N1 doesn't sound as good set flat? You need the EQ's? I'm not sure I'm keen on that idea. usually with most of these focused DAP's any of the EQ's sound terrible, mainly because flat is how they're designed. (like C3)

The Presets are custom made by hisound. Specifically the Hifi, HSA 1.0 (Hisound Audio) and the Wooduo. So they pretty much intended the player to reflect those very sounds. Kinda like on the Rocoo P and BA on the Natural Preset which is their intended house sound. I'd say the HSA 1.0 is their actual intended stock sound. EQ Flat just sounds lifeless and dull :p.

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #775 of 1,083
Quote:
So lee,  you are using media monkey to sync playlist into the nova?  For some odd reason the song were not in the correct order after i sync them with media monkey to my n1, i am using the default setting

Playlists still don't work on the device which is a shame but as I said I have my playlists sync music to the device in the same folder structure the playlists are named themselves (example: Favorite 80's 01 playlist will also have an actual music folder in the music directory named Favorite 80's 01. So it's very organized and easy to update as I go along. I use this structure as it allows me to automatically sync my intended portable media without having to do so manually for the most part. Then when I want to add here and their I'll do that part manually by updating my current playlists to reflect those new files. So in the event I have to erase and redo everything it's as simple as deleting and setting the device to sync again. I basically back up my playlists and my music on 2 drives so I'll never have to make them again. It's extremely frustrating to have to redo such things lol.

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #776 of 1,083
First quick impressions compared to my Cowon S9.

Flac file : Arch/Matheos Sympathetic Resonance
Headphone : reshelled E530 with BTG Starlight cables

files being played off internal memory.

Cowon S9 eq Normal / flat

Nova N1 eq user / flat

I use flat eq because I find it much more natural and the way the music was meant to be presented. Presets can be fun from time to time but to me you end up losing detail with frequencies being pushed over others.. I did check out the HSA presets on the Nova, they sounded ok but everything is jacked up.. listening volume with those two were between 2-3.

Setting the Nova N1 to user and under settings leaving the user eq flat outputs far less volume than the presets.. Volume is set at 15 and the S9 needs 17 to match that volume.

The Cowon S9 takes a back seat to the N1 in sound quality.. It might even be the back seat of another car. The N1 is much cleaner across the board delivering crisp clean highs, smooth controlled mids, and bass that digs deeper than the S9. This combination brings separation of instruments that exceeds the S9 as well.

The S9 at normal eq has highs that are a bit shrill. Mids are pushed forward to the point of being muddy and blending in some with the bass.. This causes the separation to be closed in. I used to love my S9 but the N1 has opened my eyes and ears.

UI there is no question.. S9

I was worrying some making this purchase but I am relieved..

I suggest you guys try a flat eq... take some time and retrain your ears. It will probably sound uninspired with what your used to. but there will be a point that it just clicks .. You'll hear levels of sound that were previously pushed together..

Hard to explain but its there.

*listening to the Tron Legacy soundtrack.. Ive got a grin ear to ear.. Im in love.

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #778 of 1,083
Id you mean the noise induced by the SD card slot then I know where you are coming from. It's noticeable to me but generally is ok during music playback as I don't hear at that time. I can actually detect 3 noises lol. Hiss, the screen when on, and the noise from the SD slot :p.

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #779 of 1,083
why is it so hard to de-hiss products! 1 instance i could maybe put up with. but 3?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back