EDIT: Hisound Audio to Release New DAP Product-Line (NOVA with micro SD card support)
Oct 8, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #106 of 1,083
Quote:
I do want to point out that one of the reason why DX100 is able to do it is because they are doing it all in the software mode with essential an almost full feature ARM based CPU. Most SoC used in DAP doesn't have that much processing power so SoC manufacturer hardware coded all the coder onto the chip in effort to play certain format with the minimum available processing power. Since >16/48 is never that popular, most SoC simply doesn't support it in hardware - and without the kind of CPU like DX100 or dedicated firmware design, getting 24/96 and above is actually very difficult for the DAP maker, especially since most SoC supplier will see no benefit on their end to custom tune their firmware for only a handful of devices that are only ordered in small quantity. Thus the reason why iBasso takes the Android route as it is an open OS that they can take advantage of, as opposed to HifiMan which takes over 2 years to develop their own firmware in the upcoming HM901 to support 24/96 and above. A opposite example will be ColorFly's C3, which has a DAC that supports 24bit decoding but the Rockchip SoC they used isn't known to support 24bit format in most format so they ended up only support 24bit in wav but not the others.

As time goes by technology advances and expectations go up ClieOS. Not saying that it is an expectation that they support such a format but it sure would increase their customer base. Although the biggest things so far are hiss and UI which need to be addressed. Then of course if they can add support for Hi res files that would be awesome. One reason why I am kinda looking forward to the new iRiver player.

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #107 of 1,083
The scary stuff for me is that too many people want 24/96 or 24/192 without knowing what it does (or actually doesn't do) for SQ. They just want it because they was told it is going to be the next big thing. Oh well, I am just hoping better mastered music in 16/44.1 myself :D

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #109 of 1,083
Quote:
The scary stuff for me is that too many people want 24/96 or 24/192 without knowing what it does (or actually doesn't do) for SQ. They just want it because they was told it is going to be the next big thing. Oh well, I am just hoping better mastered music in 16/44.1 myself
biggrin.gif

Yeah I understand the placebo effect bit. But I've been really listening to quite a lot of the music lately and blown away by how much better it is than the original recordings in 16/44 which I also have here.... Just sounds that much more open, live, natural. Treble is even more detailed yet not piercing (it's smooth). Bass has more texture. The sound staging is and instrument separation within that sound stag are noticeably better. It's enough for me to want to acquire a lot more :p. It's like listening to the music on 16/44 while on the 24/96/192 you are there....

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #115 of 1,083
Quote:
Yeah I understand the placebo effect bit. But I've been really listening to quite a lot of the music lately and blown away by how much better it is than the original recordings in 16/44 which I also have here.... Just sounds that much more open, live, natural. Treble is even more detailed yet not piercing (it's smooth). Bass has more texture. The sound staging is and instrument separation within that sound stag are noticeably better. It's enough for me to want to acquire a lot more :p. It's like listening to the music on 16/44 while on the 24/96/192 you are there....

I'm between you guys. While I really like HiRes at home, I think it's not the weakest link in DAPs so even is it may sound better on some it's not what makes or breaks them. Not bad to have but also not a deal breaker for me, especially with those file sizes. 1gb becomes almost 7gb when comparing 16/44 to 24/192.

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #117 of 1,083
Quote:
I'm between you guys. While I really like HiRes at home, I think it's not the weakest link in DAPs so even is it may sound better on some it's not what makes or breaks them. Not bad to have but also not a deal breaker for me, especially with those file sizes. 1gb becomes almost 7gb when comparing 16/44 to 24/192.

Yeah I'm not really saying it would be a deal breaker but a definite selling point and would more so attract audiophiles.

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #120 of 1,083
let's hope it's not a painful descent into the abyss...
For me if it's Gapless playback (for mp3 and flac, at least) and Microsd card up to 32/64 gb it will be more than enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back