EDIT: Hisound Audio to Release New DAP Product-Line (NOVA with micro SD card support)
Feb 11, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #601 of 1,083
Quote:

Whoa low volume ?  The max is 31, and I sure hope you don't listen to it even near that high.  For casual listening on my 3rd anniv studios I got like 20-22.

I am interested in the N3; I really do like the my 3rd gen studios, but something as simple as not being able to go back to my playlist by going back is really annoying me.  I'm sure a simple firmware update can fix that, but yeah...  For ex: you are listening to a song from an album, you can't just go back to browse the other songs in the album from a click back.  You actually have to go all way out of the menu and navigate back to your album to pick another song.  Some guy on here mention that the n3 and studios are in a different league, but I am still really thinking of picking up the n3.

Wow I consider 20 to 22 to be crazy volumes lol. Do you use sensitive IEMs are harder to drive full size cans? I'm normally comfortable around volume 5 to 8 generally. Depending on the track I'll go as high as 13 but that is on quiet tracks....

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #602 of 1,083
I been using the m-100s lately.  I normally listen around 20ish regardless of headphones though.  Hey Lee, I noticed that you have had some new daps lately.  You have the rk100 right?  How would you say that compares to the studios.  Also does the n1 have audible hiss like the studios ? If so, more or less than studios?

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #603 of 1,083
Quote:
I been using the m-100s lately.  I normally listen around 20ish regardless of headphones though.  Hey Lee, I noticed that you have had some new daps lately.  You have the rk100 right?  How would you say that compares to the studios.  Also does the n1 have audible hiss like the studios ? If so, more or less than studios?

I use to have the RWA AK100. It wasn't worth its price for my needs and I sold it a couple weeks ago. Personally with my current gear I have the Studio V 3rd ANV is the better player. I kept kicking myself trying to get myself to love the RWA AK100 and I just couldn't shake the bad aftertaste.... Personally the unit still has too many compromises for me to have kept the unit. Sound quality/synergy being the biggest one for me vs the Studio V 3rd ANV which is around half the cost.

I found the RWA AK100 to be fatiguing in the lower treble, upper mids area. So I'd have to listen at really low volumes or put it on EQ flat. I also found the player to really be lacking in dynamics and the sound stage was a bit cluttered and closed in in comparison to the Studio V. When I'd pump up the volume on the RWA to what I consider maximum safe listening; I wouldn't be satisfied with that volume and would be tempted to really pump it up more to ear damaging levels (for me that is). It was just a love, hate relationship with this player. I mean there are aspects that I also liked. Such as the really black background. This could lend itself to certain tracks and micro detailing. Personally though I only found this beneficial at really low volume levels. If not you drown out the micro details when raising the volume higher on the DAP IMO. I also liked the ability of being able to change tracks and raise or lower volume without activating the screen. The volume pot was pretty novel on it as well as the dual micro SD slots & the decent/basic UI.

Regarding the N1, I do hear audible hiss on this unit still. It is less than the Studio V hiss IMO. Maybe 25 to 30% reduction in comparison (which is pretty good). For general listening the hiss level won't be an issue IMO.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #605 of 1,083
Quote:
I use vol.12 , but sometime volume 5 because the volume keeps on changing from high to low? Its kinda annoying.

Is that when you restart the player you get this? Because sometimes I get that where the volume will be noticeably lower and I'll have to raise it to say volume 15 or so lol. But once I restart it its way too loud at 15. I seem to be able to replicate this depending on how I access music... But its also random so it's weird lol... I tend to just start off with "now playing". Seemed to happen when I started playing music from the internal memory.... Now I don't have anything on the internal memory and I am not having that happen now....

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #606 of 1,083
Quote:
I use to have the RWA AK100. It wasn't worth its price for my needs and I sold it a couple weeks ago....

I was totally puzzled by iriver decision to not include a proper amp section to the AK100. It is not like an opamp and a couple of SMD components are going to ruin their bottom line.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #607 of 1,083
Quote:

I was totally puzzled by iriver decision to not include a proper amp section to the AK100. It is not like an opamp and a couple of SMD components are going to ruin their bottom line.

Well they seemed to be doing a lot of stuff wrong just before they went off the radar a long time ago.... I remember reading something that you were quite pleased with their devices back then (you even was part of a forum for them?) before they started going downhill.... I wonder what caused them to fall from what they once were?

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #609 of 1,083
Well if you notice that happen again (low volumes) try restart the player and see upon restart if the volume is indeed louder. I know that glitch isn't in my head lol. It's quite a bit louder or softer when it happens.... Glad you are enjoying it though :).

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #610 of 1,083
Quote:
Well they seemed to be doing a lot of stuff wrong just before they went off the radar a long time ago.... I remember reading something that you were quite pleased with their devices back then (you even was part of a forum for them?) before they started going downhill.... I wonder what caused them to fall from what they once were?

Yep, I used to be the mod on the largest iriver English forum as well as a senior member on the largest Chinese forum. Around 2007~2008 mark a big change for iriver as the brain of the company (the former CEO) left the company for a new startup. It was already a downhill run before that, but it was a straight drop into the deep end after that. They pushed for several really good concept products that never seen the light of day, then it is all bad afterward, like somehow they have ran out of brain juice and forget how to make a decent DAP. I thought AK100 might mark a comeback, but it is another all talk and no show (at least not to the point of a comeback).

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #611 of 1,083
Wow. It always begins with the management changing and a company goes down hill. Kinda like when Daimler Chrysler took over and booted out the original management. The company became but a shadow of its form self...

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #612 of 1,083
I think we have some varying opinions on the players. I mean I agree the Studio V is definitely the overall better player than the N1 (I'm not sure about the N3). But I can't really say the difference in sound quality is very big even between the N1. I mean I actually enjoy the N1 quite a lot to be honest with my 1Plus2. I prefer the bass on the N1 over the Studio V which sounds almost rolled off (just at the brink of it) or lacking texture and depth in comparison. The treble and mids I agree the Studio V is clearly better but still not night and day. The Studio V has a bigger sound stage and more extension in the treble. The vocals on the Studio V are more intimate while the N1 focuses more on the mids (in front of the vocals) but the presentation really goes well together. I really think the extra premium on the Studio V comes from the build quality, battery life and the amp feature on the unit. Sound quality is still top notch regardless though. What I'd really love is to have the N1s bass quality combined into the Studio Vs signature. That would be just killer! :wink:

The studio v shines when it comes to drive big hungry headphone. At that point, I think the N1 has met its weakness. For me, still I think the studio v is on different league with N1. It's not night and day for sensitive IEM, but when it comes to drive power hungry headphone (ex: LCD2 :D), the N1 meets its weakness (although suprisingly, the N1 has enough power to drive the LCD2 to a listenable volume). I think your opinion is right about the bass quality from N1 is somehow better than the studio v. When I try to use the N1 to drive the LCD2, the bass coming out from the N1 is somehow powerful enough, even better than the studio v. But in term of volume, the N1 fails.

Warning! Blasphemy image :p

For the record, I don't actually use the N1 to drive LCD2 for daily usage :gs1000smile: .

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #613 of 1,083
Whoa low volume ?  The max is 31, and I sure hope you don't listen to it even near that high.  For casual listening on my 3rd anniv studios I got like 20-22.

I am interested in the N3; I really do like the my 3rd gen studios, but something as simple as not being able to go back to my playlist by going back is really annoying me.  I'm sure a simple firmware update can fix that, but yeah...  For ex: you are listening to a song from an album, you can't just go back to browse the other songs in the album from a click back.  You actually have to go all way out of the menu and navigate back to your album to pick another song.  Some guy on here mention that the n3 and studios are in a different league, but I am still really thinking of picking up the n3.

Agh, same thing on a rock boxed Sansa clip and its really annoying. Hopefully this will be fixed with an update then.

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #614 of 1,083
Anyone think besides me that volume 1 is a bit too loud? Using Beyerdynamic dt1350 and the paa1pro, the output is a bit higher than what i want. Will upgrading the firmware enable more fine control of the volume or will it lower the output overall? My N1 is still on the firmware that was preloaded. I received mine 2 days ago

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #615 of 1,083
Quote:
Anyone think besides me that volume 1 is a bit too loud? Using Beyerdynamic dt1350 and the paa1pro, the output is a bit higher than what i want. Will upgrading the firmware enable more fine control of the volume or will it lower the output overall? My N1 is still on the firmware that was preloaded. I received mine 2 days ago

Depending on the track I agree with you. But keeping it on Hifi or even User EQ will give you that needed headroom I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back