Edible christmas gift under $20
Dec 4, 2006 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Firam

500+ Head-Fier
Very specific I know, but that is our theme this year for my families gift exchange. Luckily I got my uncle (I always do, I think it is rigged), I'm looking for something off the wall but still edible by the average person.

Edit: Everything I've been finding is oils, and underwear. Not really what I had in mind.

Dec 4, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
His name in chocolate letters. Probably harder to do in the US than overhere...

I just googled chocolate letters and found out that they can be ordered online for $1.99 a piece. So it is probably doable in the US for under $20.

Dec 4, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

I just googled chocolate letters and found out that they can be ordered online for $1.99 a piece. So it is probably doable in the US for under $20.

Unless, of course, his name is Rumpelstiltskin Von Hitheringsworth III; then you're looking at a cool 70 bucks!

There's no one on the planet that doesn't like Jordan Almonds (this also save you all the trouble of counting the letters in his name).

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 14
Well his first name is Ed and his last name is three letters, so I'm in luck.

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 14
One of my best christmas gifts was a big box full of different kinds of rootbeer. My cousin bought them all from Beverages and more.

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

His name in chocolate letters. Probably harder to do in the US than overhere...

Seconded. I had a paper route in a mostly Dutch neighbourhood when I was a kid and they all used to give me my initials in Dutch chocolate at Christmas time. Didn't help my waistline any, but man were they good!

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 14
As cliched as it is, we often give out Christmas cakes to close friends. I'm not talking about store-bought trash, but home made VERY tasty fruit cakes. Everyone loves them.

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As cliched as it is, we often give out Christmas cakes to close friends. I'm not talking about store-bought trash, but home made VERY tasty fruit cakes. Everyone loves them.

X2!!! Oh man Home made fruit cake, fresh out of the oven is REALLY REALLY Good. Gets a bad rap IMHO.

Dec 4, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #12 of 14
Does he drink alcohol? You could get him some great microbrews.

Dec 4, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

They're common in Canada - every year around Christmas the chocolate letters come out, and my girlfriend (who's Dutch), picks up a cartload to give out. I think they're only about $1.50 CDN and they are really good, too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of my best christmas gifts was a big box full of different kinds of rootbeer. My cousin bought them all from Beverages and more.

Jealous! Rootbeer is the non-alcoholic beverage of the Gods.

Quote:

Originally Posted by will75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does he drink alcohol? You could get him some great microbrews.

Jealous! Beer is the non-rootbeer alcohol of the Gods!
biggrin.gif

Personally, I would recommend taking a road trip on a weekend, and check out some country stores. You can always find some local specialties like handmade beer nuts (or chocolate nuts, etc.), really nice cheeses, and other very good food and treats to be savoured over the holidays. Personally, I'm going ot be driving out about an hour and a half to pick up a couple of loaves of cheesebread for the family on Christmas - made with 15 year cheddar. AMAZING!

Dec 5, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #14 of 14
I'd go with a good chocolate. My favorites are Valrhona and E. Guittard. Try some of the more exotic single origin chocolates, you'd be surprised at how different the flavors are.

Here are a couple of links:

http://guittard-online.stores.yahoo.net/index.html

http://www.chocosphere.com/Html/Products/valrhona.html

For $20, I'd probably go for the Guittard single origin tasting kit ($16) and throw in a 2 oz. bar of the Orinoco milk chocolate for $3. I'm pretty sure anyone would be happy with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back