Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Sep 7, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #856 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am enjoying all of mine. lol

With the AT's I do think that there is room for improvement and can't wait to get some tubes!

I hear you. The more I listen, the more I love this amp.
I think the Russian Tung-Sol that came stock with the Zana is harsh. Not for me.

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #858 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What headphones are you guys really enjoying with your ZD?

I finally tried the HD 650 and, guess what, didn't really care for the sound that much. But then, I've not been a fan of the 650. I much prefer the AKG sound with the ZD (both 701 and 501).

I also did a real quick run through (like five minutes total, combined) of all my other cans and think I'll enjoy the following a lot: RS1, GS1000, DT990 Pro (600 ohm), SA5000, and K500. I was slightly disappointed with the Ed 9 and only luke warm with the HD650.

Of course, you can't tell much by such a short listen, and I might end up really enjoying the HD650 and Ed 9 (at least I hope so) but I'm thinkin' I might just be a "brighter" can kind of guy.

So, back to the original question: Which cans are you all listening to on your ZD?

HD650 almost exclusively at the moment. I was NOT a big fan of the HD650 before the Zana Deux arrived; I preferred the K701 with my balanced rig and the GS1000 with the hybrid pre for falling asleep at lower volume. The HD650 was like listening under water. I tried them when the ZD was brand new and sparkly but quickly settled on the Senns, which surprised the bejeezuz outta me. I suppose I will have to go back and give the other cans another chance but me and the 650s are still honeymooning, and what's the rush? Still, the point is, for me, the ZD does magical things with the 650s. I was about to give up on dynamics entirely but the ZD/650 combo gives up nothing to the electrostats.

-Tim

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #859 of 2,605
Quote:

What headphones are you guys really enjoying with your ZD?

I finally tried the HD 650 and, guess what, didn't really care for the sound that much. But then, I've not been a fan of the 650. I much prefer the AKG sound with the ZD (both 701 and 501).

I also did a real quick run through (like five minutes total, combined) of all my other cans and think I'll enjoy the following a lot: RS1, GS1000, DT990 Pro (600 ohm), SA5000, and K500. I was slightly disappointed with the Ed 9 and only luke warm with the HD650.

Of course, you can't tell much by such a short listen, and I might end up really enjoying the HD650 and Ed 9 (at least I hope so) but I'm thinkin' I might just be a "brighter" can kind of guy.

So, back to the original question: Which cans are you all listening to on your ZD?

Are you running stock cables on the HD650s?

-Tim

Sep 8, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #860 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by twestby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you running stock cables on the HD650s?

-Tim

Yep. Plain Jane stock. I think, though, if I just listen to it and no others, I'll adjust to the sound. Coming from the brighter cans to the Senns...let's face it, there's gonna be an adjustment period. I just need to get past that (I think).

Decided to listen to the Ed 9's for a while. Without the constant switching between cans (listening for a few seconds each), the 9's sound pretty darn good. So I'm going to listen to them for a week or so.

I agree with a statement made earlier in that the ZD makes all cans sound "better." It's as if all my cans burned in at the exact same moment...when they were hooked up to the Deux.

Sep 9, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #861 of 2,605
If you want to get your Zana Deux a "present" and have run out of tubes to buy her, you might try this. It is the Isotek Full System Enhancer and Rejuvenation Disc. I have had one since May and I think it is worth the $39.00. Not as dramatic as rolling in a Brimar but a gentler smoothing effect. Isotek is a well known English audio company. It also has a nice effect on headphones- extended the highs using the Sennheiser 650's. I thought it even improved JD's fantastic HD Zana during the VSAC conference.
Any one else given it a try?

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #862 of 2,605
Quote:

Yep. Plain Jane stock. I think, though, if I just listen to it and no others, I'll adjust to the sound. Coming from the brighter cans to the Senns...let's face it, there's gonna be an adjustment period. I just need to get past that (I think).

Decided to listen to the Ed 9's for a while. Without the constant switching between cans (listening for a few seconds each), the 9's sound pretty darn good. So I'm going to listen to them for a week or so.

I agree with a statement made earlier in that the ZD makes all cans sound "better." It's as if all my cans burned in at the exact same moment...when they were hooked up to the Deux.

Try a recable. Check with Drew at Moon Audio or even get a new Cardas set from Headroom. It's a DIY for the HD650. And you might as well go balanced so you'll be ready for Craig's new amp. -Tim

Sep 11, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #863 of 2,605
For me when I listen to the Sennheiser 650's, I use the Brimar or Fivre Tube(haven't tried the Valvo yet). I do think the cable upgrade is worth it with the650's. I use Stefan Audioarts Equinox. Be patient and buy a used cable and give them an audition. You can resell them here at no or little loss if they don't help.

Sep 11, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #864 of 2,605
Just curious if anyone has done any listening to their ZD with the SA5000's? One of my current favorites. It already sounds like the 650's work well... so that's a shoe in.

One other question to owners of ZD's...... do you think the ZD would benefit from a stepped attenuator?

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #865 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by LUMIERE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious if anyone has done any listening to their ZD with the SA5000's? One of my current favorites. It already sounds like the 650's work well... so that's a shoe in.

One other question to owners of ZD's...... do you think the ZD would benefit from a stepped attenuator?

That's a question to ask Craig. You could probably double the price of the ZD with an Alps pot. Perhaps he would do it for you if you really wanted it that badly. -Tim

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #867 of 2,605
Thanks! I definitely will ask Craig....... about the stepped attenuator.

but, really wanted to know if anyone actually felt the need to or is it just folly.

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #868 of 2,605
Thanks! It sounds like it might be just folly after all.......
I'll stick with the standard pot then...!!!

Sep 11, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #869 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by LUMIERE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! I definitely will ask Craig....... about the stepped attenuator.

but, really wanted to know if anyone actually felt the need to or is it just folly.

from the man himself back in March:

Quote:

I jumped the gun and offered a 24 position rotary switch as an option on this run. After testing the switch, yes it sounds good, but it is impossible with 23 different level setting to accomodate all headphone sensitivities, and source levels. Moth used a rotary switch in the pv4, and si300B. That was two 60 position Shalco switches. That worked. A four pole 60 position Shalco switch will not fit in the ZD, and the control would cost about $500.00, so I think for now it's back to the Alps pot, which is decent.

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #870 of 2,605
Thanks nghows. I'm sure the stock ZD volume pot is fine.....

but.....

.... just wondering if any Zana Deux owners out there in the community have a ZD with a stepped attenuator and can comment on that aspect.
While I'm sure many Head-fi members have heard plenty of amps with stepped attenuators vs. without... and can come to the realization that the stepped is better at retaining minute details better..... anyone with any first ear experience with this particular amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back